Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 11:39 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times

Advertisements

yep 15 dollars for a rose bush is a lil out of my budget this year and some I see are twenty or better . and they really don't look that good .I'm wondering what has happened with the rose industry ....I live on a budget and I cant stretch any more . I refuse to pay those prices and the reason they are so high is because some people pay those prices I mean if people would not pay those price they would not charge that . I'm a conservative person and always have been and I cannot see 15 -20 dollars for one bush .anybody else think that is a little on the high side ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 12:03 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yep 15 dollars for a rose bush is a lil out of my budget this year and some I see are twenty or better . and they really don't look that good .I'm wondering what has happened with the rose industry ....I live on a budget and I cant stretch any more . I refuse to pay those prices and the reason they are so high is because some people pay those prices I mean if people would not pay those price they would not charge that . I'm a conservative person and always have been and I cannot see 15 -20 dollars for one bush .anybody else think that is a little on the high side ?

I don't know positively, but my guess would be that all the warm places that grow things year round, got hit hard, between hurricanes in the south, and fires in the west.

I have a friend that's a horticulturist, and supplies indoor plants for companies. She told me that they've had poor luck getting good quality plants because of the storms in the south last year.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:06 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
I haven't looked at roses this year. They might not be in the stores yet in my area. But my experience is that roses come in a huge range of prices,

Bare roots are the least expensive. Non-patent roses are the least expensive. Even in bare root, some of the newest patented roses are costly.

I like some of the non-patent roses. Peace is my favorite rose and that is long out of patent. Chrysler Imperial is one of the best deep reds for color.

I would pay extra for a really special rose if I knew for sure what it would grow into. I find that the pictures on the tags are misleading and the claim that a rose is fragrant is often a lie.

Unless there is some special fungus tolerance or something really special about a new rose, I can't see a lot of difference between patent roses and roses that have expired patents.

For a plant where there is a huge difference in the patent varieties (iris, day lilies, apples), I am willing to pay a premium price to get the fancy new one, or the better weather or disease tolerance. If the plant will live for years, $10- $20 more, divided by the number of years the plant will live isn't really too much to pay.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:51 PM

6,153 posts, read 4,525,082 times
I also found a very poor, very limited selection of overpriced roses for sale this year. I looked online to see if I could do better and am sad to say that I probably won't fill out the bed I'm working on this season. I may try for an end of season sale and you can try to find a florist with very fresh cut roses, cut the stem again, dip in rootone, and put in your garden. You have a chance it will take if you don't wait too late in the season. I had a friend in NJ who used to do this all the time.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Have you tried growing your own from cuttings? I haven never tried it, but I've heard it's pretty easy.

I walk my dog around my neighborhood, and I see some of the most beautiful rose varieties. Many look like old varieties - it's an older neighborhood. And they smell heavenly. If I had the space, I'd try growing some cuttings from some of them.

And yes, that seems crazy expensive to me.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
We bought two this year, bare root, at only $7.00 each and they are thriving. If you wait for them to be potted in soil, the price normally doubles so $15 is about normal for common varieties, more for the rare/exotic ones.

Yes, they can be grown from cuttings, but it's a gamble even if it lives. My oldest bonsai is a rooted rose cutting, now almost 30 years old and has never bloomed.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:02 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Mid winter is the best time for buying bare root roses. That's when the best prices are offered from $4.95 to 10.95 at most garden centers. There is also a larger variety of colors at that time too. Bare root roses left over from winter sales are usually potted and doubled in price.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:49 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,520,949 times
Default Corporations

Part of it has been the weather, and the second part is that many corporations have been taking over the farms run by families.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:23 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I added some rose bushes this year from Sam’s Club. I just stumbled onto them on a shopping trip, and they were very nice, for 8.99. I would never have thought to buy plants there, but I would not hesitate to do it again. The bare root roses were very strong and healthy. They are growing nicely. I wish I had room for more.

It seems to me that it is safer to plant bare root plants. If they thrive and take root in the existing soil conditions, they are stronger. IMO

Last edited by gentlearts; 08-05-2018 at 07:41 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 04:04 PM

6,153 posts, read 4,525,082 times
I did find a later season sale and got one Walmart bare root and it settled in and bloomed in lovely pale lavender. $6.49. Then, on a whim, and for $2.50, I got a supermarket mini rose and it is growing like wildfire and blooming well. I have a very large climber with nothing to climb and I plan to cut it into pieces and try several rooting methods in hopes of getting some to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden