Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 07:52 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,544,645 times

Advertisements

Good advice above. Crabgrass will not grow back next year unless it seeds. Even if it does seed put down a pre-emergent killer in the late spring (depends where you are) and your crabgrass will no longer be a problem. I would also aerate and drop grass seed now.

Consider a service for two years. It’s worth it. I have True Green and they only get expensive if you add several services. I get weed control, grub control, and fertilizer for about $350.00 for the year. I don’t have to buy the stuff or any tools, handle it, or figure it out. It just gets done.

Here’s my lawn:
Attached Thumbnails
Lawn infested with crab grass like I've never seen before...what can I do now?-2f4d74bf-3ade-4273-9a24-ea0ae280e3a7.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 05:07 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,040,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Those "guys" can get really expensive. My son had a lawn weed control program for two years and it was more than $800 (plus sales tax) each season. That was over and above the $45 cost for the weekly cuts (1/2 acre lot, with house, pool and patio taking up a good chunk of it.)
We pay about 400 a year for weed control. We mow our own lawn....can`t mess that up to much. The guy has been worth it for us

Old 08-23-2018, 07:40 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,433,497 times
OP - there are two basic questions you must answer before someone can help you: where do you live? and what kind of grass do you have (or want)? The question has been asked but not answered.

Don't reseed or apply chemicals until you know the answers to these questions.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:39 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Those "guys" can get really expensive. My son had a lawn weed control program for two years and it was more than $800 (plus sales tax) each season. That was over and above the $45 cost for the weekly cuts (1/2 acre lot, with house, pool and patio taking up a good chunk of it.)
I found it interesting that the neighbor's yard was treated for years by scotts and looked great. He moved and the new neighbor doesn't treat. It only took a few months for the lawn to look like an untreated lawn.

All that money spent just to maintain a green patch of stuff that requires gas to mow and chemicals to stay mono-cultured.

Maybe astro-turf is not such a bad idea.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:12 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,495 times
My lawn has become covered in crab grass as well. I've given up attempting to pull it out because there's too much of it and then my yard would be bald and I won't use chemicals. I don't think it looks that bad if there's a lot of it, it's all green anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden