Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 11:25 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
-where would you recommend going to see all of them? I'm in the nw valley, but dont mind travelling anywhere to get good specimens..I've had good luck with Whitfil nurseries,for plants and such, but not sure if they carry alot of palms, although I did get a small Mediterranean palm from them that is growing nicely, but slowly

thanks
The Mexican fan palms are everywhere. They are the tall telephone pole looking ones and the ones you see like at Home Depot in plantable sizes. The palms lining Estrella park way in Estrella are California fan palms and there are large specimen queen palms in the lawn by the lakes. There is a native stand of California fans in the Kofa Mountains near Yuma - the only native palms in Arizona! Worth the trip (in winter). There is a street in Phoenix, Palm Lane, that has very large trees. Not sure which variety though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 11:52 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
thanks, I'll check those areas out..
Which nursery do you think has the best variety of trees?
Moon valley has all sorts of stuff, but their prices are a joke, as you probably know..

Old 08-25-2018, 12:20 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,599 times
It's been a few years since I shopped here, but I bought all of my trees at Treeland.
Treeland Nurseries | Our Business Is Growing | Home

Old 08-25-2018, 12:21 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
Queen palms are definitely not lining most roadways here. They do not reach 20-50 feet either. Those palm trees are not suited for our soil type, but people keep planting them anyway. 90 percent of all of those palm trees look dried out and deformed compared with the same palm in Southern California.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:44 PM

so, these are Mexican fan palms? My neighbor has what he is calling a Mexican fan palm, and it doesnt look like this; its more of a bush, and only about 6 feet tall..
Attached Thumbnails
what kind of palm tree is this?-how-fast-do-palm-trees-grow  

Old 08-25-2018, 09:06 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
It's been a few years since I shopped here, but I bought all of my trees at Treeland.
Treeland Nurseries | Our Business Is Growing | Home
Yeah, good nursery, esp. if you buy citrus bc they sell trees with the best rootstock for our area. Staff is knowledgeable, unlike employees at the big boxes.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:13 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
so, these are Mexican fan palms? My neighbor has what he is calling a Mexican fan palm, and it doesnt look like this; its more of a bush, and only about 6 feet tall..
It may just be too young to have a trunk.

There are two Washingtonia palms, the robusta (Mexican fan palm), and the filifera (California fan palm). The Mexican fan palm is the typical tall one with the skinny trunk, while the California fan palm will be shorter with a thicker trunk. The California fan palm is usually a bit more cold tolerant as well.

And to complicate things, there are hybrids between these two palms that are known as ‘Filibusta’ palms (Washingtonia filifera X robusta). These hybrids can have traits anywhere between the two parents.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:04 PM

thats great info, and clears alot up..thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden