U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 AM

8,062 posts, read 17,320,456 times

Advertisements

I'm really in need of some advice from rose lovers! I planted four rosebushes last Spring at my new home and, wouldn't you know, we had an INCREDIBLY unusual Spring and early summer with lots of flooding. I had built up the area around my roses with extra dirt and mulch but still lost one bush. My Queen Elizabeth is doing great and my Sunsprite is holding its own but my Princess Diana is clinging to life.

All is not completely lost with her as I'm seeing a bit of new leaf and stem growth from the wood. But she's really fragile and I want to give her every chance to survive and thrive. I've given her the Bayer all-in-one product that fights diseases and fertilizes and I put a rose food stake in the ground next to her for more nourishment.

Is there anything else I can do? Should I remove the old mulch and install new soil and new mulch? Are there any products that can help? She's a temperamental rosebush but she LOVES to bloom (LOL, just like her namesake, I guess!) and her flowers are simply gorgeous. I really don't want to lose her!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 AM

5,065 posts, read 15,205,860 times
What a shame! I have never had a flooding issue with my roses, so I really don't have any advice. Hopefully someone will be able to help you, I hope you can save it.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:20 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,182,756 times
I'm in zone 5...my roses are just starting to show some signs of life. When do you prune yours? I would not worry too much about the water...I would not give them too much fertlizer.. the Bayer granular is good, but too $ for me as I have so many...also, it is early, I have had roses I actually pulled out, just to find that they were OK! Don't try to replace the soil. Roses have alot of surface roots, you'll do more harm than good. I don't think anything, not even my DIL can kill a Sunsprite (and she's tried!)
Queen E is pretty tough,too..she is a Grandiflora..Sunsprite, I think is a Floribunda...and Princess D is a Tea(?)...sometimes the less you do the better..hope I've helped...I also suggest you call your local Coop Extention, as they would know about the conditions in your area...

Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 AM

8,062 posts, read 17,320,456 times
Thanks, andthentherewere3! I also hope she pulls through this. Her blooms are just stunning -- a pale yellow with a pink blush inside. She "brings together" my rose colors since the others are yellow and Queen Elizabeth is pink!

Thanks, Trudey! I will just let her be for now and hope for the best, I guess. I would trim them back in the fall but they suffered so much last year that, aside from Queen Elizabeth, there wasn't much to trim. It didn't help that shortly after I planted them we got deluged with rain, grrrrr.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:02 PM

899 posts, read 2,806,186 times
Hi
I'm in Oregon and roses love water.. Mine do better when we have a long wet winter..
The other thing I would do since your new to roses I would contact my local master gardener information desk, most likely found in your phone book under county ag extension , they can give you good advice for you area..
my roses are just waking up and hope to have flowers by mothers day.
good luck and happy gardening
mamh

Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 PM

42 posts, read 194,129 times
Dont shave it - just give it a nice trim!

OH, I'm sorry...WHOOPS! I thought you said SHAVE, not SAVE!!!

tee-hee-hee...

Old 04-03-2008, 02:45 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,944,981 times
I would try an organic product. Rosetone is a GREAT fertilizer for roses. Make sure to wait until after any chance of a hard frost b/f you fertilize so as not to damage any new growth. Also you need to make sure the crown of the rose is not staying to wet i.e if you have to much mulch around the rose, or the rose is to deep. Good Luck!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:47 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,127,895 times
It sounds like you're doing everything right. Maybe just try to make sure she has plenty of space and air and that no other plants are crowding her roots. Extra protection from winds might help, too, since she's stressed. You've already fed and fertilized, so I would be hesitant to add any more stimulants right now. I got a little too zealous with the treatments one time, and it burned the plant. The Bayer is good; sometimes, stressed roses (especially hybrid teas) just need a little time.

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 PM

6,943 posts, read 20,867,782 times
Personally I never had luck with roses but was fortunate to have a dad (a mechanic) who had a GREEN thumb when it came to roses. Everytime they bought a different house , dad would always dig up his roses and transplant in their new home and never lost any. One trick he had was to (had his own repair shop) save the shavings (brake dust/ metal shavings) to sprinkle around the on top of the ground towards the periminter of the roots inorder to put RUST back into the soil which always gave a deeper color to the pedals. His roses always had the deepest colors and I would do the same thing for yrs. Hope this bit of info helps. Stefhen

Old 04-04-2008, 06:55 AM
Status: "No, I don’t want an app for that." (set 26 days ago)

45,397 posts, read 56,708,947 times
I have heard that it's bad to feed distressed rosebushes..it's kind of like when you are sick you don't feel like eating. So I'd just suggest that less is more right now. Don't kill it with kindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden