Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:40 PM

7 posts, read 12,363 times

Advertisements

Long story short I mistakenly bought a pot with no drainage hole, and it started turning grey from the bottom up after I watered it. I replaced the soil with fresh new dry soil, found no signs of fungus or root rot, and ripped a rather large hole into the bottom of the pot and have not watered it since (about a week) still no signs of bouncing back though. Tried to blot the excess water off of the root ball but I couldnt do too much without hurting the roots.
I'm still pruning silver stalks off the poor thing. The bottoms of all of the stalks have turned grey so I have no way to fully remove the grey sections without completely killing it off. The plant started blooming but I've pruned the blossoms too to keep the plant from divesting energy in flowers instead of repairing itself.
Any idea what I could try? The plant means a lot to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 11:46 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
I think you’ve done about all you can do. I also think a week is too soon to see major recovery.

To illustrate, I left for a week in July, and the person who looked after my outside plants missed watering one time too many, and three plants looked completely dead. Two of them were, but I noticed the third one still had green stems, so I set it aside out of the sun and kept it barely moist. It took three weeks before I saw a new stem with leaves. It looks great now.

I’d treat your lavender exactly the same way. And don’t prune any more for now. Wait until you see strong new growth.

For insurance, try to start a cutting or two from healthy top growth.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:50 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesealicious View Post
Long story short I mistakenly bought a pot with no drainage hole, and it started turning grey from the bottom up after I watered it. I replaced the soil with fresh new dry soil, found no signs of fungus or root rot, and ripped a rather large hole into the bottom of the pot and have not watered it since (about a week) still no signs of bouncing back though. Tried to blot the excess water off of the root ball but I couldnt do too much without hurting the roots.
I'm still pruning silver stalks off the poor thing. The bottoms of all of the stalks have turned grey so I have no way to fully remove the grey sections without completely killing it off. The plant started blooming but I've pruned the blossoms too to keep the plant from divesting energy in flowers instead of repairing itself.
Any idea what I could try? The plant means a lot to me.

A week isn't long enough for it to recover. Patience is needed, just leave it be.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:54 AM

How long should I wait? Also, do lavender plants turn silvery when becoming dormant? I'm wondering if it might be that too. The sun hardly comes out from the start of fall to April. How often should I water it? Obviously not often but still, the soil right now is just about ready to be watered (root ball is pretty dry and starting to wilt).

Old 09-19-2018, 02:19 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,502,500 times
It can take weeks for a plant to recover, any plant. You might read online about wintering lavender in pots. I don't grow it, so can't help, but do know that many plants have a dormant period in winter where they use much less water, and little fertilizer. Let the plant be your guide - it will wilt (or look bad at least) if it gets too dry. Dry means the pot is light and it's dry below the surface.

I winter over lots of things. Most work, some don't. One plant I've had for 35 years....

Old 09-19-2018, 02:23 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
I'm in Zone 4 and have been trying to grow it outside off and on for years and have given up.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:31 PM

What are these zones youre mentioning? Im in NW PA right now by lake Erie (I know I know, horrible for lavender). It's in a pot right now with about 2 inches on the sides and bottom for growth. I'm in an apartment so no backyard to grow it in. Honestly this plant probably would have been fine if I hadn't bought a hole-less pot and realized that the root ball was wetter than the surrounding soil.
I'm wondering how much I should water it though, I dont wanna overwater it again. The farm I bought it from and home depot said to water it like I do with my cacti and succulents, drench it every 3 or 4 weeks or when it wilts. And by drench they meant like keep watering until it starts to come out the bottom.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:41 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,502,500 times
We tend to soak pots, since much of our stuff is root bound. Soak for 10 minutes or so, but only when it's really, really dry.

Reason for soaking is that dried soil won't immediately absorb moisture, so if you just dump water on the top, it can flow around the edge and leave the middle dry.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:48 PM

Soak as in take the plant out of the pot and soak it? Or like put the pot in a bowl of water and let it diffuse in thru the bottom?

Old 09-19-2018, 03:06 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesealicious View Post
What are these zones youre mentioning? Im in NW PA right now by lake Erie (I know I know, horrible for lavender). It's in a pot right now with about 2 inches on the sides and bottom for growth. I'm in an apartment so no backyard to grow it in. Honestly this plant probably would have been fine if I hadn't bought a hole-less pot and realized that the root ball was wetter than the surrounding soil.
I'm wondering how much I should water it though, I dont wanna overwater it again. The farm I bought it from and home depot said to water it like I do with my cacti and succulents, drench it every 3 or 4 weeks or when it wilts. And by drench they meant like keep watering until it starts to come out the bottom.

You can look up your zone here: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/pla...ting-zones.htm

Lavender likes to be dry, and the soil in the pot must drain very well. Put the pot in a sunny location. Lavender can be grown in USDA Zones 5-9. Find your zone on a zone map like the one linked above.

Lavender leaves are naturally grayish-green to silver, so make sure you aren't mistaking its normal color for diseased leaves. There are different kinds of lavender, and I don't know what kind you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden