U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 12:22 PM

886 posts, read 647,222 times

Advertisements

So, im trying to figure out if there is any benefits to a garden bed that touches the ground, vs one that does NOT touch the ground.

I know traditional garden beds put some cardboard box in the bottom to prevent weeds from growing and also turns to compost within a few months....but what about elevated garden beds that DONT touch the ground.

which is better? why?

or there is no difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 12:35 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,685,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
So, im trying to figure out if there is any benefits to a garden bed that touches the ground, vs one that does NOT touch the ground.

I know traditional garden beds put some cardboard box in the bottom to prevent weeds from growing and also turns to compost within a few months....but what about elevated garden beds that DONT touch the ground.

which is better? why?

or there is no difference

Not sure what you're referring to there.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Not sure what you're referring to there.
http://www.ana-white.com/sites/defau...1353860354.jpg
(elevated garden bed not touching the ground)

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/produ...32092187lg.jpg
(garden bed touching the ground)

Old 09-16-2018, 01:46 PM

2,606 posts, read 1,954,880 times
One difference is the soil will dry faster in elevated bed. Temperature change in the soil will be greater and similar to air temp.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:18 AM

76,038 posts, read 88,947,517 times
I tried the cardboard method many years ago, it didn't really prevent seeds. I do think we had fewer though. As for the raised beds versus elevated, in my thinking: it depends on how you interpret words. They can be the same but elevated I think of, more like container gardening which is what I do because of back problems. I am so glad I started this a couple of years ago, but I will say, I don't think some produce does nearly as well as if planted in the ground or in slighter raised beds. It is almost weed free though.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I tried the cardboard method many years ago, it didn't really prevent seeds. I do think we had fewer though. As for the raised beds versus elevated, in my thinking: it depends on how you interpret words. They can be the same but elevated I think of, more like container gardening which is what I do because of back problems. I am so glad I started this a couple of years ago, but I will say, I don't think some produce does nearly as well as if planted in the ground or in slighter raised beds. It is almost weed free though.
thanks!! one of the reason im thinking about elevated beds is I dont like bending down as much. i sorta have back problems at this age

Old 09-18-2018, 02:35 PM

521 posts, read 424,199 times
Raised beds provide a lot more room for root growth, & thus larger plants.
You can water them deeper & they don't need watered as often.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:19 PM

2,756 posts, read 2,304,032 times
i'm making just this same decision. I'm in the south so bermuda grass gets everywhere. I suspect that a timed irrigation setup and a deeper box would work well for my aging back.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:04 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,685,163 times
The ones that don't touch the ground will be more likely to freeze in the winter, dry out faster in the summer, and the roots will be more confined which may keep the plants smaller than they would be if their roots were allowed to run freely in the soil.

That thing about cardboard isn't really something you need to do unless you're planting directly on top of weeds. In that instance, you'd place the cardboard/newspapers on top of the weeds, then pile your soil on top of the cardboard. Otherwise, you do not need to use cardboard at all. Composting cardboard would be so minor in that case that it really wouldn't make much difference to your soil...it takes a foot of composted leaves to make one inch of soil; the tiny thickness of cardboard would only make a negligible amount of compost.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:44 PM

5,488 posts, read 9,374,514 times
like Nita said, an elevated bed is just another form of container gardening. A raised bed interacts with soil below which provides beneficial chemistry/ nutrients, for example; worms come up from the ground, eat & poop good stuff on your soil. Also as another poster said, an elevated bed gets hot faster and dry out faster, or freeze faster in winter time. Same issues with container gardening. So if you're willing to address these shortcomings for sake of your back, nothing wrong with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden