Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:09 PM

592 posts, read 2,239,932 times

Advertisements

nitram, I'm with dragon slayer on this one. Pesticides and herbicides create more problems than they solve. They are mans "easy fix" to problems he has caused because he has become greedy and out of touch with mother nature. For instance you mention the folks in Arizona spraying to kill invasive species. Why do they have to do this ? I'ts because they have scrapped the desert clear of it's natural state and now nature is trying to reclaim the damaged area. The "weeds" are what are called pioneering plants, they are a natural reaction to an area that has been cleared. These "weeds" are mother natures way of holding the land in place long enough for the "non weeds" to come back.
When we use chemicals in an area we kill many beneficial insects ,animals, birds, and plants which throws the natural balance of things out of balance. Many folks have proven that organic farming actually produces as much if not more than our chemical farming produces. The problem is that we have these huge corporate ,industrialized, factory farms, that make huge amounts of money and they use their funds to spread false information about their chemicals.
Take a look at something called "MSDS 's" for the chemicals we are talking about. These are industrial /government information sheets that will show you the real dangers of the chemicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 12:16 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,472,048 times
Pesticides and herbicides have not always been in use. The story about Milly the dog who is sensitive to chemicals on here feet is true, I asked the owners veterinarian right in front of her if her dog could be sensitive to chemicals and he said yes indeed. A teller at the bank I bank with had one of her small dogs go into renal failure after licking the weed and feed off of its feet. And you have to be kidding that you do not believe that boiling water would kill a plant, I am not talking about hot water from the tap, but real boiling water, like that that would cook a vegetable.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:29 AM

Wyomiles is right on target. Read Rachel Carsons " Silent Spring " it was written in 1963 and is very informative on the direction we went in the early 1900's from mostly natural agriculture to practically mandated use of chemicals under subsidy programs in the first half of the 20th century. Chemical pesticides not only kill the desired pest, all of the beneficial insects as well, the birds that then eat the poisoned insects and then the next chain of animals that eat the birds. The concentration of the pesticide increases along the line beginning with the birds eating large amounts of the bugs. The song bird population now is less than 1/4 of what it was only 40 years ago. To me a healthy yard has a wide assortment of insects and when you turn the soil there should be many earthworms. It has already been proven by test that food grown organically has higher nutrients than that grown with chemicals.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 AM

44,593 posts, read 61,419,964 times
I agree with some of the comments about the pesticides & herbicides, not all. And again I state I recommend organics when possible. Boiling water as you state does dot kill the roots on established weed or plants, only the above ground vegetation.
And I can just now see everyone running around with a pot of boiling water running back and forth into their houses for refills, especially when you have 100's of weeds to kill. That would be a 24 hour job.
I did not claim that pesticides have been around forever. Only that since pesticides have been used many invasive weed and pest problems have been reduced or eliminated. With your reasoning I suppose we should not take mfg medicines for illnesses and diseases and rely only on herbs and natural ingredients. I think many would argue that point with you too.
But it's a free country and we all have a right to agree or disagree.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:38 AM

Everyone has there own poison, I just choose mine to be organic.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:43 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,869,517 times
I try to be organic wherever possible, but I am throwing in the towel with regards to the crabgrass. Nothing natural I have tried will eliminate that stuff, and pulling it up by hand or boiling it isn't feasible as we have an acre. Much of our acre is woods and perrenial gardens, but we still have that darned crabgrass that I can't kill off. It actually got worse when I went organic, and now it's taken over. By late summer our lawn looks like it's covered with enormous green tarantulas. I'll keep fertilizing with organic products, but I'm getting some nasty chemicals to throw down on the lawn in the next few weeks, in an effort to rid ourselves of that crabgrass. That is my weakness.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:28 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,679,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Actually, yes you may. If you are a Christian, you are destroying what is God's according to the Bible.

'The land must not be sold permanently, because the land is mine and you are but aliens and my tenants.” Leviticus 25:23 NIV.

Psalm 24:1 “The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it,
the world, and all who live in it;”

Psalm 47:7 For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding.

Sorry, this is from a presentation I am doing tomorrow about the same subject.

Anyway, would you put that fertilizer in yours or your kids' food and water supply? That is what you're doing. Over 90% of chemical runoff is from residential fertilization. This contributed to the flood after Katrina being so bad since the shoreline quickly eroded in the years leading to it (though it was not the only factor).
Groove, I'm sorry, but your extreme views tuned me out.

We're talking about FERTILIZING. Not murder.....gee whiz already....

I'll go repent and say my three hail mary's for fertilizing.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden