Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 05:03 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I agree and believe that EGO battery powered products are about the best.
Had it over 3 years rover and still never missed a beat. That guy saying they are a joke has no clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 06:03 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
I spent time watching long video on youtube last year comparing just about every battery mower under the sun. Some were quite amazing, the better ones were all pretty expensive. Add to that the cost of spare battery if you have a bigger lawn. But then again new gas mowers pretty expensive for what you get anymore too. Also if you keep mower long term add in availability of that particular battery (kind of forces you to junk the mower if new battery for it not available anymore) and how long it will last. Batteries for these arent cheap.

I spent the time last summer figuring out some of tricks with Honda GCV160 engine and GXV160/clones. Its not rocket science to have them start on one pull, problem is usually either gummed up carb or a wonky ignition module molded into the magneto coil. The Honda design ignition module doesnt usually just die, it gets wonky so timing is changed. This can cause hard starting, kickback, running hot, no restart hot, etc. Can buy cheap new replacements on ebay or Amazon that seem to work fine for like $10. Usually the carbs dont take lot work to clean with can carb cleaner, some disassembly required. New ones pretty cheap, around $15. The older GXV120/140/160 design with good maintenance could last 30 years and then mowers get junked more when self propel goes bad and parts no longer available. Some of the GCV135/160 are still going strong over 20 years. They arent old enough model to know if they can last 30 years. They arent as robust design as the older GXV series.

Just saying if you do the maintenance, a good gas mower can last 20 to 30 years. Course if you hire a mechanic for your mower more than once in its lifetime, then its not nearly so cheap. Usually the reason people put the mower out on curb and just buy a new one. New one is cheaper than hiring a mechanic.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:22 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Keys things to remember with lithium ion batteries are...

1) They do not like being hot
2) They are happiest being stored near 50% charge when not used.

I keep all of my Greenworks batteries inside the house. When I'm done with yard work I charge them just enough to get to 40-60% and then leave them that way until I need them again. I do not own EGO, but I have read where they will automatically discharge down to 30% if left on the charger over 30 days.

People who leave their batteries in a hot shed, or run them down and leave them that way will be very frustrated when their batteries won't last over a couple of seasons.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I spent time watching long video on youtube last year comparing just about every battery mower under the sun. Some were quite amazing, the better ones were all pretty expensive. Add to that the cost of spare battery if you have a bigger lawn. But then again new gas mowers pretty expensive for what you get anymore too. Also if you keep mower long term add in availability of that particular battery (kind of forces you to junk the mower if new battery for it not available anymore) and how long it will last. Batteries for these arent cheap.

I spent the time last summer figuring out some of tricks with Honda GCV160 engine and GXV160/clones. Its not rocket science to have them start on one pull, problem is usually either gummed up carb or a wonky ignition module molded into the magneto coil. The Honda design ignition module doesnt usually just die, it gets wonky so timing is changed. This can cause hard starting, kickback, running hot, no restart hot, etc. Can buy cheap new replacements on ebay or Amazon that seem to work fine for like $10. Usually the carbs dont take lot work to clean with can carb cleaner, some disassembly required. New ones pretty cheap, around $15. The older GXV120/140/160 design with good maintenance could last 30 years and then mowers get junked more when self propel goes bad and parts no longer available. Some of the GCV135/160 are still going strong over 20 years. They arent old enough model to know if they can last 30 years. They arent as robust design as the older GXV series.

Just saying if you do the maintenance, a good gas mower can last 20 to 30 years. Course if you hire a mechanic for your mower more than once in its lifetime, then its not nearly so cheap. Usually the reason people put the mower out on curb and just buy a new one. New one is cheaper than hiring a mechanic.
I have a LawnBoy with a B&S engine, no choke, throttle, or primer button. I bought it new about 11 years ago, and it still starts on the first pull. I have always used ethanol free gas, and I'm pretty sure that's why it has lasted this long without problems.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:50 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

I keep all of my Greenworks batteries inside the house. When I'm done with yard work I charge them just enough to get to 40-60% and then leave them that way until I need them again. I do not own EGO, but I have read where they will automatically discharge down to 30% if left on the charger over 30 days.

People who leave their batteries in a hot shed, or run them down and leave them that way will be very frustrated when their batteries won't last over a couple of seasons.
I keep my Ego batts in the house like a silly mouse. It is 97f outside in the shed ted.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I have a LawnBoy with a B&S engine, no choke, throttle, or primer button. I bought it new about 11 years ago, and it still starts on the first pull. I have always used ethanol free gas, and I'm pretty sure that's why it has lasted this long without problems.
The older flathead Briggs could last long time with maintenance. I had a brand new mower bought back in 1970s with the 3.5hp Briggs that lasted 12 years. Though most neglected/abused them and had a two or three year mower. The newer Briggs "E engine" have a LOT of plastic. Friend gave me Murray with this engine almost new when she had infinite trouble with carburetor and engine starting but not running. Cost more to take it to mechanic than to just replace it. ALL PLASTIC carb with lot complaints online and in reviews of the mower. I made an adapter and installed an old adjustable jet Tecumseh carb from long ago that I had saved. I used it a lot last summer. Always easy one pull start and did ok. Asked her if she wanted it back, but she had bought different mower. Its 140cc so not as much power as the Honda 160cc. And did read that the castings on E engine pretty thin. You hit rock or stump and it can crack the oil sump casting, losing all your oil.

Unfortunately I would never buy a current walk behind Briggs engine mower (well wouldnt give more than $25 for one), well maybe a riding mower with Vanguard engine, the Vanguard is high end and quite desirable.

Last edited by HJ99; 04-11-2021 at 10:08 AM..

Old 04-11-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
The older flathead Briggs could last long time with maintenance. I had a brand new mower bought back in 1970s with the 3.5hp Briggs that lasted 12 years. Though most neglected/abused them and had a two or three year mower. The newer Briggs "E engine" have a LOT of plastic. Friend gave me Murray with this engine almost new when she had infinite trouble with carburetor and engine starting but not running. Cost more to take it to mechanic than to just replace it. ALL PLASTIC carb with lot complaints online and in reviews of the mower. I made an adapter and installed an old adjustable jet Tecumseh carb from long ago that I had saved. I used it a lot last summer. Always easy one pull start and did ok. Asked her if she wanted it back, but she had bought different mower. Its 140cc so not as much power as the Honda 160cc. And did read that the castings on E engine pretty thin. You hit rock or stump and it can crack the oil sump casting, losing all your oil.

Unfortunately I would never buy a current Briggs engine mower (well wouldnt give more than $25 for one), well maybe a riding mower with Vanguard engine, the Vanguard is high end and quite desirable.
I've certainly gotten my money's worth with mine. I think I paid around $230 for it back in 2010, and it still works perfectly, even the self propelled drive.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I've certainly gotten my money's worth with mine. I think I paid around $230 for it back in 2010, and it still works perfectly, even the self propelled drive.
Is it the old flathead (sometimes called side valve engine)? Spark plug screws into the flat finned cast aluminum head, no tin valve cover with plug screwing into side of the head. They sold those in their last years with a plastic carburetor, though that plastic carb worked. Not as nice as the older carbs, but ok for most part. They were trying to both keep costs down and please EPA with non adjustable carb and constant rpm engine. I cant remember when they switched to the E engines but somewhere around ten years ago I think.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:36 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
if you do the maintenance, a good gas mower can last 20 to 30 years..
Yup, but I don't think longevity would make or break a decision though, most people don't think like that.

Quote:

Great, add another reason to the con list.

I was about to go do some mowing with the battery mower but its drizzling now. There goes that plan now? No time rest of week to find the perfect moment. lol

Old 04-11-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Is it the old flathead (sometimes called side valve engine)? Spark plug screws into the flat finned cast aluminum head, no tin valve cover with plug screwing into side of the head. They sold those in their last years with a plastic carburetor, though that plastic carb worked. Not as nice as the older carbs, but ok for most part. They were trying to both keep costs down and please EPA with non adjustable carb and constant rpm engine. I cant remember when they switched to the E engines but somewhere around ten years ago I think.
I’ve never paid much attention, I just know it’s been a good one. I’m ashamed to say, but that’s the original spark plug too.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery operated lawnmowers-f112ea02-90b4-440e-a582-d94d6f6a4232.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden