Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 01:18 PM

17,260 posts, read 11,078,289 times

Advertisements

Another problem with this which I don't think anyone has mentioned is the climate zone in which you live as to opposed to the climate zone the Christmas tree is able to grow in. Living in the Southwest, there are often times many types of pretty little potted Christmas trees available from pines to spruces to cedars. Few of these have any chance of surviving the heat and lack of humidity outdoors in states like Arizona at lower elevations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 02:27 PM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

Another problem with this which I don't think anyone has mentioned is the climate zone in which you live as to opposed to the climate zone the Christmas tree is able to grow in. Living in the Southwest, there are often times many types of pretty little potted Christmas trees available from pines to spruces to cedars. Few of these have any chance of surviving the heat and lack of humidity outdoors in states like Arizona at lower elevations.
It was sort of mentioned when I posted these sites that list suitable trees that can survive in the OP's specific location and climate and soil conditions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

.... < snip> ......

What kind for your location? Take your pick: Trees

Additional choices: Choosing the right tree for your yard | Prescott Valley Nursery

The OP is quite limited in the choices of evergreen trees that will survive in such a dry and highly alkaline environment as Prescott, AZ and that's why I posted those Prescott websites for her.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:54 PM

17,260 posts, read 11,078,289 times
Quote:
It was sort of mentioned when I posted these sites that list suitable trees that can survive in the OP's specific location and climate and soil conditions:

The OP is quite limited in the choices of evergreen trees that will survive in such a dry and highly alkaline environment as Prescott, AZ and that's why I posted those Prescott websites for her.

Thanks. My bad for not reading through all the responses.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Thanks. My bad for not reading through all the responses.

No problem, I think it's good that you mentioned it.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:41 AM

6,954 posts, read 11,981,982 times
Our local nursery has classes every Saturday. You can grow just about anything here with the right fertilizer, since the soil here has none. No nutrients at all. I have a huge (maybe 30 ft) Colo Blue Spruce in my front yard and Pines in the back, all doing well. When you see all the varieties available, it is mind blowing. There are many more plants and trees that grow here than shown on the website you provided me.

In Phoenix, no. But here, in Northern AZ, so many possibilities.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Our local nursery has classes every Saturday. You can grow just about anything here with the right fertilizer, since the soil here has none. No nutrients at all. I have a huge (maybe 30 ft) Colo Blue Spruce in my front yard and Pines in the back, all doing well. When you see all the varieties available, it is mind blowing. There are many more plants and trees that grow here than shown on the website you provided me.

In Phoenix, no. But here, in Northern AZ, so many possibilities.

That's good news then. The website I posted was a listing of suitable native and naturalized trees for your location because you asked what kind you should get. But if you have many other possibilities to choose from that you know will grow there that's better for you. Good luck and have fun selecting your tree.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:53 PM

949 posts, read 563,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Has anyone done this? Am wondering if it's hard to get the tree to grow after Christmas, since the ground is cold (not frozen) but maybe lack of sun would be bad. And what kind ? TIA
We did it, not sure what type of tree. Best guess some kinda fir since they are popular in the south as XMAS trees. It was a smaller one that we kept potted until we were ready to plant it. It took a few years for it to get a solid hold and begin to really grow at a regular pace. The early years after it we planted it were spent keeping it fed and watered not knowing if it would make it since it looked kinda like a charlie brown tree at times.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:48 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,807,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Probably evergreens/conifers, not pines. Spruces are used for Christmas trees, not pine trees. White Pines are extremely common here and they are a junk tree. They are the first to grow where developers have ruined the soil or fire has destroyed the forest. Up springs a White Pine. Trouble is, they grow tall and spindly, their brittle branches constantly snap off and make a mess, their roots are shallow so they tend to get blown over easily. The lower branches all break off until you only have branches up near the top. The trees and their branches fall onto houses, cars, and power lines. Some neighbor used to call them petticoat trees--something like that--because the few branches that remain at the top look like a little skirt.

Also, they are constantly dropping pine cones for you to rake up. If they're not dropping pine cones, they're dropping pine needles for you to rake up. Terrible yellow pollen in the spring to be allergic to. They grow really fast so if you are so unfortunate as to have one in your yard, you will have to trim it often. The wood is very soft and not good for burning or for making much of anything. I always used to wonder if there is anything good about the White Pine.

They also reproduce really fast so you have to keep pulling up baby pine trees. AND, if you are unfortunate enough to have one near your driveway, the sap drops onto cars and makes the paint peel off. My parents lived in a place called Pine Valley--so I know, LOL. How we hated those seemingly innocent pine trees!

*takes another look around my lot* Oh, thanks so much for telling me what I get to go through in the future. LMAO But seriously, because of that and the fire danger, I really do think I"m taking all the pines out of my yard.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:52 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,961,406 times
Quote:
That's good news then. The website I posted was a listing of suitable native and naturalized trees for your location because you asked what kind you should get. But if you have many other possibilities to choose from that you know will grow there that's better for you. Good luck and have fun selecting your tree.

My neighbor just bought a small (3') tree from Walmart and after reading (when she came home) the warnings about frost; has decided to keep it indoors. It was some variety of Southern Pine from Virginia. I have not seen it so far and maybe she was confused (she is very old). But supposedly her daughter read the same warning. It is always smart to read before you buy. If she is correct; it amazes me that a major retailer would sell a live tree that will not withstand our winters. Chances are the people that ordered them for the store had no idea about planting zones.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:54 PM

96 posts, read 57,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Keep it outside in the pot until the ground is warm enough to plant it, or dig the hole now, as someone else mentioned. That's what I would do.

I used a live Norfolk pine as a Christmas tree for many years. They can live indoors if there's enough light. Mine was underneath a skylight, grew to 12 feet or so.
Be aware that Norfolk Island pines do not tolerate frost especially when young. I could not recommend planting outside unless you live in zones 10 or above. Actually the Cook pine is better than the Norfolk as it is a little busier. People often confuse the two but neither like frost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden