Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 07:08 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,212,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m in coastal GA, and we see a lot of tropical plants in the garden centers, since were just north of FL. Although they cannot survive in the landscape as perennials, we see them used like annuals.
I am in the Indianapolis area, and yet I’ve known that many locally owned nurseries in central Indiana have been having “Cold Hardy” varieties of southern Magnolia trees such as Edith Bogue and Bracken’s Brown Beauty in stock for the past several years(since at least 2013, maybe even longer), I have even witnessed a few people replanting southern Magnolia trees after losing an unknown variety of southern Magnolia during the intense “Polar Vortex” winter of 2013/2014, so I suppose some people really don’t give up on growing exotic plants not usually seen in a given zone even after losing them from a landscape during an unusually harsh winter season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 07:53 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Well that’s just cruel and absurd, who in the devil would sell plants like that, I guess this goes to show how cruel and greedy this world has become.
You do have at least marginal responsibliity to know what you are buying. Since most people carry smart phones, it's possible to quickly look up that pretty plant if you don't know what it is.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:49 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,245,614 times
i've heard that the big box stores make lots of money selling tomatoes at the first sign of warmth knowing full well that the plants will die and the same customers will come back after the last frost date and buy again.

The simple answer is: they make money selling stuff that won't survive.

The slogan is 'Buyer beware', not 'buyer depends on the store to sell you exactly what you need and not what you want'

Old 12-23-2018, 04:19 PM

30,405 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Well that’s just cruel and absurd, who in the devil would sell plants like that, I guess this goes to show how cruel and greedy this world has become.
As the song goes. Money makes the world go around and dumb people plant stuff that is not up to the cold weather like they do in FL.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:16 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You do have at least marginal responsibliity to know what you are buying. Since most people carry smart phones, it's possible to quickly look up that pretty plant if you don't know what it is.
You make a good point. How far should this “consumer protection bureau” business can go? People are crying for protection against “cruel and absurd” greedy business owners selling plants not suited to local zones, yet they complain they can’t buy what they want even if that’s outside range of their zone.

Be careful what you wish for. Otherwise you’ll have nanny States like California regulates what you can sell/ buy.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:52 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,962 times
Yes, there are a lot of people who buy foolishly. But there are also a lot of people who just have different circumstances--maybe they live in a microclimate. Maybe they have an indoor solarium or greenhouse. Maybe they are buying it as a gift for someone who lives in a warmer area. Maybe they are buying plants for a temporary installation (like a wedding reception or fundraiser). Not every other customer is foolish, and garden centers aren't being rude or predatory by selling to them.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:25 AM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
i've heard that the big box stores make lots of money selling tomatoes at the first sign of warmth knowing full well that the plants will die and the same customers will come back after the last frost date and buy again.

The simple answer is: they make money selling stuff that won't survive.

The slogan is 'Buyer beware', not 'buyer depends on the store to sell you exactly what you need and not what you want'
Except the big box stores have a generous return policy, so you could get your money back if that happens. I will be returning a dead shrub from last Feb before the deadline is up.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Except the big box stores have a generous return policy, so you could get your money back if that happens. I will be returning a dead shrub from last Feb before the deadline is up.
You can often do that with a shrub that does not flourish, or dies, if purchased from a local nursery. Before buying, ask about this. We got a replacement shrub from a local nursery once when the shrub sulked for a year. New shrub thrived.

Save your receipt when you buy a new, expensive shrub or tree.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
As a general answer to the OP, I think you can protect yourself if you know what your plant hardiness zone is. You could double check the hardiness zones of your purchase before planting. Take back what you think would not thrive, instead of planting.

But I have not had problems with this frankly.

We put in some new shrubs last fall, and our landscape guy told us that a couple of the shrubs might have problems with too much rain over our winters. THAT was a surprise. So, I guess some things at a nursery might be unsuited to the planting site. But sometimes you just have to try.

For a tree or big shrub that you want around for a long time, I think it is up to the customer to know the conditions of the planting site, and her hardiness zone, and the availability of water. Also, whether the site is shaded or open to sun. There are many factors which might affect a new planting.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:37 AM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
As a general answer to the OP, I think you can protect yourself if you know what your plant hardiness zone is. You could double check the hardiness zones of your purchase before planting. Take back what you think would not thrive, instead of planting.

But I have not had problems with this frankly.

We put in some new shrubs last fall, and our landscape guy told us that a couple of the shrubs might have problems with too much rain over our winters. THAT was a surprise. So, I guess some things at a nursery might be unsuited to the planting site. But sometimes you just have to try.

For a tree or big shrub that you want around for a long time, I think it is up to the customer to know the conditions of the planting site, and her hardiness zone, and the availability of water. Also, whether the site is shaded or open to sun. There are many factors which might affect a new planting.
So true. We planted 5 Abelia in a row last spring. They are very pretty. Three are fine, one is dead, and one is iffy. Go figure. We used drip irrigation on them, and perhaps they got too much water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden