Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 10:03 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

I found out that my town has had a Garden Club since before WWII. Who knew? I went to their meeting at Home Depot yesterday and heard a nice talk about local lawn and plant care. The best part was, I’m pushing 71, and almost everyone was older than me. I can be sure the field trips will be at low speed.

We got a darling Okame cherry tree planted. It is leafed out, so I guess we’ll have to wait a year for the blossoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 12:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My goodness, you are so organized. I never get to label anything. Nice big yard, I love to have that big yard to grow.
Me too but I am still happy with my little container garden.I am not bothering this year with starting anything inside except for my sweet potato. We are only about 4 weeks away from planting outdoors If we hadn't had such a cold winter I would probably start the garden in a week or two but think I think I will wait until the later part of April.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:22 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Me too but I am still happy with my little container garden.I am not bothering this year with starting anything inside except for my sweet potato. We are only about 4 weeks away from planting outdoors If we hadn't had such a cold winter I would probably start the garden in a week or two but think I think I will wait until the later part of April.
I have 4-6 containers to grow vegetables this year. Maybe I grow some lettuce. But everything new is in container, I have no space and I want to limit their growth. I want a few fruits of a certain type, but I don’t want to be flooded with them.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:32 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
Northern California - Bay Area. We have literally had spring for 6 days. It was cold and rainy all winter, then on Monday, voila! Blue sky and high 60s. I planted a few dwarf fruit trees already in containers. (An additional fig tree, a dwarf cherry, and goyi berry.) They have not started to leaf out yet, but the trees I planted a year ago (dwarf mulberry, black gooseberry, fig) are starting to leaf out. I haven't planted veggies yet, but I will next week. Everything in containers, as I just have a deck, no yard.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:02 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I’m getting a mulberry, I taste of this fruit in an old merchant house in U.K. and hooked ever since. But I called Rain tree nursery in Oregon and they said they still have snow so that’s why they are shipping my trees later than when I specified. All the new fruit trees that I planted recently are starting to leaf out. But the ones that are in my garden for a few years, some are still dormant.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:58 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
Cold here still in Upstate NY. But I usually plant lettuce and spinach and two or three other early starters in March. It is winter here until April, sometimes well into April. I use Mel’s mix from the sfg system and keep a tarp over the seeds in the mix until they are ready to pop. Summer crop goes in Memorial Day weekend. Those are usually already started and a foot high.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:52 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Cold here still in Upstate NY. But I usually plant lettuce and spinach and two or three other early starters in March. It is winter here until April, sometimes well into April. I use Mel’s mix from the sfg system and keep a tarp over the seeds in the mix until they are ready to pop. Summer crop goes in Memorial Day weekend. Those are usually already started and a foot high.
Upstate also.

I know cant really plant outdoors with no risk of frost until may. I hate it, reAlly do.

I remember in highschool in June going to high school in the morning in my winter coat still, and tying it around my waist on the way home!

Dont know quite what im goibg to grow this year, if amything besides my strawberries and red raspberries. My black raspberry didnt make it last year.

We'll see. I got my 2" yellow pepper seedlings already. May those survive!

Ugh winter.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:18 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
I am SO anxious to get going outside; yet, it's still very cold at night (35-40 degrees) so I am waiting for April. We had 28 " of snow here. Unbelievable. Most of the garden made it back, some not so sure. My crape myrtles look dead. The lavender plant looks done. Even my Sage looks spent. But the Lilacs and Forsythia have buds ! Just have to wait and see. A couple daffs are blooming !!

Old 03-20-2019, 07:21 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We expect a nice sunny weekend here. Chance of frost is over, so we’re hitting the garden centers and have mowed the lawn once.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:42 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Peppers

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden