Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 04:20 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

I just placed an order for my 2019 garden. Post your new plans for the new year here.

First, a bit of background. I lived in Ohio for many years, yet have only learned that the state fruit is the pawpaw. How many of you have tasted a pawpaw? Me neither. It is native to Georgia, where I live now, and many other states too.

I decided to add a pawpaw to my GA yard, however you need at least 2, so 2 it is. The reason we do not see the fruit in stores, is it has a very short shelf life. Once picked it keeps for just a few days. I have a produce market across the road, so maybe they will like to have what I can’t use. Anyway, that’s putting the cart before the horse.

I found an organic nursery in KY, that sells them, and so, I eagerly await!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 04:27 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
yes, but we do it a little differently.

where we live, there are too many trees for full sun.
however, my neighbors have a full-sun garden plot.
so...we buy the seeds, fertilizer, etc. which we give
to the neighbors and they do the rest.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:29 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
I got a jump on things in November, after the second freeze. 110 pink, white, and magenta tulip bulbs went in the ground. That's about it for me, until April (Zone 7).
I'm not familiar with a pawpaw. We're easy. Our state fruit is the strawberry.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:39 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I’m in thinking mode. I am contemplating pulling out an unhappy Peace rose and a daylily and planting three lilies of some sort.

But I want to redo the front yard. I’m having trouble visualizing exactly what I want to plant.

I have a very small yard, so I am limited as to possibilities.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I’m in thinking mode. I am contemplating pulling out an unhappy Peace rose and a daylily and planting three lilies of some sort.

But I want to redo the front yard. I’m having trouble visualizing exactly what I want to plant.

I have a very small yard, so I am limited as to possibilities.
My last Knockout rose was going last spring, but it hung in, so i let it live. Not sure about this year. I really like my daylilies. They seem to thrive, no matter where I plant them. I advise you to get rebloming ones, in the height you want, and you will love them. You can also get evergreen daylilies if you want the foliage year round. I forget what climate you are in.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My last Knockout rose was going last spring, but it hung in, so i let it live. Not sure about this year. I really like my daylilies. They seem to thrive, no matter where I plant them. I advise you to get rebloming ones, in the height you want, and you will love them. You can also get evergreen daylilies if you want the foliage year round. I forget what climate you are in.
I have daylilies. It took me several years to choose from among about seven varieties that I planted. I ultimately chose three varieties for my long sunny bed and a couple more for other spots. I am considering whether I want two plants of my late blooming daylily.

My favorite of all of them is Hyperion, a vintage variety that is tall, graceful and pure yellow.

Daylilies bloom early here. Once they are done, reblooming is irregular. I need something blooming later on, and I am thinking lilies might fill the bill. But I really need to think about planting in my front yard.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:13 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
No, I'm putting it off as long as possible, LOL.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:54 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
I already started. I planted tulips in the front yard, planted 6 fruit trees in the backyard, plus garlics & shallots, got 2 more fruit trees coming in mid-January. Oh and I just ordered 10 packs of vegetable seeds all ready to go in the Spring.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I already started. I planted tulips in the front yard, planted 6 fruit trees in the backyard, plus garlics & shallots, got 2 more fruit trees coming in mid-January. Oh and I just ordered 10 packs of vegetable seeds all ready to go in the Spring.
Wow, you are going to town! What kind of fruit trees? I’m giving up on vegetables, so I’ll stick to my herb garden and also a flower cutting garden. There will be a few shrubs to add in the front landscaping, but haven’t decided what. Probably more hollies.

A few abelias need to be replaced, too.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:10 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Wow, you are going to town! What kind of fruit trees? I’m giving up on vegetables, so I’ll stick to my herb garden and also a flower cutting garden. There will be a few shrubs to add in the front landscaping, but haven’t decided what. Probably more hollies.

A few abelias need to be replaced, too.
Let’s see... I have 2 Asian Pears (Hosui and Olympic), Santa Rosa Plum, a Nectarine, 2 blueberry (O’Neill, a southern Highbush and Sweetheart, a hybrid), plus two more coming in mid-January, a Fuyu persimmon and a Lapin Cherry.

I am re-doing my backyard so this is a good time to plant the fruit trees I wanted. I am also thinking to dabble in planting grape but it maybe a bit ambitious.

It’s an exciting time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden