Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 03:48 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I have to bump this up. Mom and I are buying a house! Totally unplanned. Just found a house and decided to buy it. How the heck do I transplant part of these lilacs when it will probably still pretty cold. I don't think we'll have our current house past early March. I really need to find a way to save part of my uncle's lilacs.
Since your old house could be sold before your lilacs stop blooming and the ground warms up; have you thought about asking the new owners if they would consent to you coming back after the sale and taking cuttings or removing some of the shoots off the runners? If you explain how important it is I am sure they would not mind; as long as you don't go overboard. You might even teach the new owners how to propagate more lilacs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 05:06 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I have a Miss Kim that is not doing well after a few years. I need to try moving it, since it’s obviously struggling. It’s in a dry sunny area, so maybe it want some shade.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:46 AM

922 posts, read 791,010 times
We planted a lilac bush 3 years ago. It was basically a stick. Each year it has a few more leaves on it, but no blooms. This summer, my idiot brother-in-law mowed it down. Will it come back?

Old 12-14-2019, 09:55 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
We planted a lilac bush 3 years ago. It was basically a stick. Each year it has a few more leaves on it, but no blooms. This summer, my idiot brother-in-law mowed it down. Will it come back?
Probably. Just wait and see. You know how a weed can grow through a crack in the sidewalk? Plants are very tenacious.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:28 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I have to bump this up. Mom and I are buying a house! Totally unplanned. Just found a house and decided to buy it. How the heck do I transplant part of these lilacs when it will probably still pretty cold. I don't think we'll have our current house past early March. I really need to find a way to save part of my uncle's lilacs.

Did you not follow through and start cuttings during the past year?

Did you check around under the lilac bushes to see if there are any small suckers you can dig up to take with you? I think if you didn't already start cuttings then at this point digging up some suckers/shoots will be your most reliable option left available to you now.

Your other option would be to ask the new owners to give you permission to come back one day after spring blooming is over and take some cuttings.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:22 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,094,212 times
In the past I have dug up Lilacs and other bushy plants this time of year. What I have done is dig them up, then put them in a bucket with holes drilled in the bottom. I then dig a hole, and put the entire bucket in it. In the spring pull the bucket, and plant them where you want them. To this date I've never lost one plant doing it this way. Trust me it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden