Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 10:24 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,168,905 times

Advertisements

Once again, seems like you’ve been busy and getting things taken care of in the lawn.

Looking for a privacy plant myself, what is the growing pattern Arborvitae that would compliment laurels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Got nearly all of my junk down now, and man is it growing like crazy out there now! Sprayed tonight for the chickweed we’ve picked up (Drive XLR8 and Tenacity). Spent a small fortune on removing 3 crape myrtles and installing 14 green giant Arborvitae for more privacy. We’ve got boxwoods that we planted 3 years ago that have somehow exploded in the past 3 weeks to nearly 20% their size. Can finally shape them now! Our laurels have produced a white flower all over them for the first time ever, and the first green giants are growing like mad all of the sudden and coming together quickly. We have a dwarf blue spruce tree (looks like a bonsai tree) that is completely covered with new growth now and showing no signs of slowing down! The lawn itself is a dark green color and lush. Have never seen it this dark green before.

I put 10-10-10 down two weeks ago on everything, that’s it. I put down Bayer 3-1 feed and protect on trees in the backyard and shrubs in the front, and a protect drench on the big boys in the front. Going to spray it all with some mycorrhizae in a couple of weeks as well.

Landscaper recommended the 10-10-10 as it’s a general fertilizer and we have a ton of other things that now have roots under the lawn too. I’m thinking he was right, as nothing has popped like it is this year for us. Our crape myrtles are already awake and growing new growth, the first in our area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 11:21 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
Would definitely look towards the Thuja Green Giant if you have the space. They’re lush and full from the ground up, very resistant to deer, bugs and disease, and grow fast. Would also recommend container grown and not transplant, as the container grown seem to root and establish much faster. I’ll send you a pm for a local contact point I use, great prices.

We don’t have sidewalks or curbs in my neighborhood, and being on a corner lot, my lawn gets chewed up on he edges by the snow plow. No matter how many times I tell the HOA to not worry about it, they still back through and throw a bunch of random grass seed down on the edges to fix it. Every spring I seem to have to get that junk out of my tall fescue. Ugh...

Old 04-26-2019, 12:46 PM

That is the only problem as they’re going to be planted against the fence more of like a hedging type style where I have existing Schipka Cherry Laurels so looking for more of something along that lines. I truly need something that is deer resistant.

I have experienced the same issue before with snow plowing and it’s a real mess.

Quote:
Would definitely look towards the Thuja Green Giant if you have the space. They’re lush and full from the ground up, very resistant to deer, bugs and disease, and grow fast. Would also recommend container grown and not transplant, as the container grown seem to root and establish much faster. I’ll send you a pm for a local contact point I use, great prices.

We don’t have sidewalks or curbs in my neighborhood, and being on a corner lot, my lawn gets chewed up on he edges by the snow plow. No matter how many times I tell the HOA to not worry about it, they still back through and throw a bunch of random grass seed down on the edges to fix it. Every spring I seem to have to get that junk out of my tall fescue. Ugh...

Old 04-26-2019, 07:42 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
They are definitely deer resistant! About the only thing the deer here haven’t touched!

Here are a couple of photos to give you an idea. One is from early March 2016, and the other is from this morning. 36 months. Before/after (notice the neighbors deck).

Bayer 3-1 feed and protect once a year, and some holly tone every few months..
Attached Thumbnails
2019 Ultimate Lawn Care Program For The Best Lawn On The Block-319cf668-0a2d-4fc8-9255-fd754d8c66b2.jpeg   2019 Ultimate Lawn Care Program For The Best Lawn On The Block-8bee3551-5005-441e-9fb4-b5fb8cf410e1.jpeg  

Old 04-27-2019, 04:13 PM

Love those plants, but definitely don’t have that much space width wise.

Anything in mind something more upright and narrower?

Was even thinking of Nandina Domestica?

Just raised the mowing deck to the highest setting for the summer...little over 4”.

Quote:
They are definitely deer resistant! About the only thing the deer here haven’t touched!

Here are a couple of photos to give you an idea. One is from early March 2016, and the other is from this morning. 36 months. Before/after (notice the neighbors deck).

Bayer 3-1 feed and protect once a year, and some holly tone every few months..

Old 05-04-2019, 09:28 AM

https://youtu.be/AFc_qUwgGOs

Old 05-04-2019, 04:46 PM

Time to get ready to dominate.

https://youtu.be/Mtl0Hfq2koU

Old 05-08-2019, 06:37 PM

Time to start thinking about fungus and grub control.

https://thelawncarenut.com/blogs/new...0th-newsletter

Old 05-14-2019, 11:56 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,482,524 times
Default Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Time to start thinking about fungus and grub control.

https://thelawncarenut.com/blogs/new...0th-newsletter
I'm still trying to learn how to do this myself, so please be patient.

You said you had good results with Scott's Disease Ex, so I bought enough to do the preventative application for my whole lawn. I live in East Texas, zone 8 I think. Today's temps should reach the low 80's and continue for a while until it gets hotter, probably in June and surely July. August temps are killer here. We've also had an abundance of rain lately, more than normal.

I was thinking of applying the Disease Ex in mid June. Should I do it earlier? I have had fungus problems in the past. If I remember correctly, it was in July, maybe August. I don't want to have to deal with again.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any suggestions/help.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:06 PM

Preventative is far better than curative.

Sounds like in your area the time to start preventive application. Would recommend an application every 4 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
I'm still trying to learn how to do this myself, so please be patient.

You said you had good results with Scott's Disease Ex, so I bought enough to do the preventative application for my whole lawn. I live in East Texas, zone 8 I think. Today's temps should reach the low 80's and continue for a while until it gets hotter, probably in June and surely July. August temps are killer here. We've also had an abundance of rain lately, more than normal.

I was thinking of applying the Disease Ex in mid June. Should I do it earlier? I have had fungus problems in the past. If I remember correctly, it was in July, maybe August. I don't want to have to deal with again.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any suggestions/help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden