Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 12:54 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Preventative is far better than curative.

Sounds like in your area the time to start preventive application. Would recommend an application every 4 weeks.

Ok, I'll go ahead and do an application now. I saw in the milorganite thread that you wait two weeks and then do a milorganite app. I think I'll do that too. I was wondering how long in between.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 01:12 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
You can apply both the same day.

I am doing my second application for the year of Milorganite in 2 weeks based on the schedule I am applying it which is late March, May 30, July 4, and Sept 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
Ok, I'll go ahead and do an application now. I saw in the milorganite thread that you wait two weeks and then do a milorganite app. I think I'll do that too. I was wondering how long in between.

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-27-2019, 07:09 PM

Grub Control

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/how_to..._for_your_lawn

Available preventive products

Scotts Grub-Ex - Granular
chlorantraniliprole 0.08%
Apply between April 1 and May 30 (no later than July 15) for best results.
Bayer Advanced Season-Long Grub Control and Turf Revitalizer - Granular
imidacloprid 0.25% and a low fertilizer rate (6-0-1)
Apply between June 1 and July 15 for best results.
(local distributors name) Premium Grub Control (Do not confuse with “Premium Insect Control”)
imidacloprid 0.2% - Granular
Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer Liquid attach-to-hose-bottle
cyfluthrin 0.36% and imidacloprid 0.72%
Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer Granules - Granular
cyfluthrin 0.05% and imidacloprid 0.15%

Available curative products

Sevin Lawn Insect Granules - Granular
carbaryl 2.0%
Apply in spring or fall to active grubs.
Bayer Advanced 24 hr Grub Killer Plus - Granular
trichlorfon 9.3%
Apply in spring or fall to active grubs.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:16 PM

https://youtu.be/BOJC3j58BPY

Old 05-29-2019, 02:36 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times
Yup, I threw down the Caravan G by Syngenta two weeks ago, as I started to notice a few fungus rings showing up, and knew it was time to ward off the grub invasion (amongst other bugs). I really like that stuff a lot, have seen it save lawns from fungus and disease attacks a few times. Not the cheapest on the shelf, and not available via normal retailers, but great stuff in one application. I buy it from Southern States Coop for about $60 a bag. I have 10,000sf of lawn space, it takes two bags to cover it. Lasts about 8 weeks for me. If fungus gets back into the lawn during that time, I spot treat with Eagle20 spray in a little mixed spray bottle.

I have a neighbor who I’ve watched for the past two years work hard on getting their lawn full and lush. They’ve gone through 3 different lawn service companies, have spread compost everywhere, even cow manure one year (not pleasant - stunk and flies everywhere). Yet they just couldn’t get it to go where they wanted it. I looked at it for them, they have a large zelkova tree (lots of shade) on a flat lawn. I told them Caravan G as I figured disease was present along with bugs. They agreed to try it. Two weeks later, it’s on the path of recovery. Their current yard company was against the idea, said it wouldn’t help and a waste of money, only their magic sauce could fix it. They were actually mad at me for “interfering” with them. Now my neighbor understands my viewpoint on some these companies - the worst thing for them is a perfect lawn, because then they’re not needed as much.

Last edited by NC211; 05-29-2019 at 02:45 PM..

Old 05-30-2019, 05:56 PM

Fortunately all to typical of lawn services. Glad to hear you were able to help out your neighbor.

Might have to give Caravan G a try sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Yup, I threw down the Caravan G by Syngenta two weeks ago, as I started to notice a few fungus rings showing up, and knew it was time to ward off the grub invasion (amongst other bugs). I really like that stuff a lot, have seen it save lawns from fungus and disease attacks a few times. Not the cheapest on the shelf, and not available via normal retailers, but great stuff in one application. I buy it from Southern States Coop for about $60 a bag. I have 10,000sf of lawn space, it takes two bags to cover it. Lasts about 8 weeks for me. If fungus gets back into the lawn during that time, I spot treat with Eagle20 spray in a little mixed spray bottle.

I have a neighbor who I’ve watched for the past two years work hard on getting their lawn full and lush. They’ve gone through 3 different lawn service companies, have spread compost everywhere, even cow manure one year (not pleasant - stunk and flies everywhere). Yet they just couldn’t get it to go where they wanted it. I looked at it for them, they have a large zelkova tree (lots of shade) on a flat lawn. I told them Caravan G as I figured disease was present along with bugs. They agreed to try it. Two weeks later, it’s on the path of recovery. Their current yard company was against the idea, said it wouldn’t help and a waste of money, only their magic sauce could fix it. They were actually mad at me for “interfering” with them. Now my neighbor understands my viewpoint on some these companies - the worst thing for them is a perfect lawn, because then they’re not needed as much.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:05 PM

Grub control and fungus control applied.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:33 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
If I don't get good results with the Scotts Disease Ex, I'll try the Caravan G, but too early to tell right now.

For those of you who use Scotts Disease Ex or just want to try it, Scotts on Amazon offers it every once in a while for $11/bag. They do limit the number of bags, but that's a great savings over what I can go down and buy it for at the big box stores. Free shipping for prime members too

Old 06-03-2019, 05:06 PM

Sounds like your progressing well.

Sounds like it is time to setup a camelcamelcamel price monitoring for Scott’s Disease Ex.

Just checked and it’s $17.09 which is a decent discount. Looks like it was last at the $11.00 price on May 25th.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotts-Diseas.../dp/B075R7BNXV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
If I don't get good results with the Scotts Disease Ex, I'll try the Caravan G, but too early to tell right now.

For those of you who use Scotts Disease Ex or just want to try it, Scotts on Amazon offers it every once in a while for $11/bag. They do limit the number of bags, but that's a great savings over what I can go down and buy it for at the big box stores. Free shipping for prime members too

Old 06-11-2019, 06:33 PM

https://youtu.be/k3mZ9l8MqTI

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden