Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:06 PM

7,341 posts, read 4,131,451 times

Advertisements

Last year, I planted a weeping oak tree. It looks like a weeping willow but it makes acorns for wildlife.
The Arbor Society was selling live trees so I ordered it. Bare root trees don't workout well for me.

I love weeping beech! More of playhouse/hideaway than a tree.

In our last house, we had a fifty year old red japanese maple. It had strong multiple trunks. Just about the best climbing tree ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 08:56 PM

190 posts, read 129,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Camphor tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Those things are invasive here, I can’t kill them fast enough.

Lets see,

https://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/u...rthsideoffork/

On this site thousands of photos, measurements, and location details of often unknown monumental trees can be found of many species, like giant sequoia, oak trees, sweet chestnut trees, and many others. Also you can upload your own photos or add new trees. Have fun!

Last edited by DirtBikeRider; 01-02-2019 at 09:25 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Last year, I planted a weeping oak tree. It looks like a weeping willow but it makes acorns for wildlife.
The Arbor Society was selling live trees so I ordered it. Bare root trees don't workout well for me.

I love weeping beech! More of playhouse/hideaway than a tree.

In our last house, we had a fifty year old red japanese maple. It had strong multiple trunks. Just about the best climbing tree ever!

I will still climb sometimes but as a kid I always loved climbing trees. The dogs would always be waiting for us at the bottom. Kind of glad I grew up pre internet and going out to play meant tree climbing for sure. I have enough trouble staying off this computer as an adult !

Old 01-02-2019, 09:19 PM

[PDF]Designing Trees for Kids - RootMaker
https://rootmaker.com/sites/default/...eeForKidsE.pdf
A good climbing tree for kids should have a first limb no more than two feet off the ground and additional branches spaced 12 to 24 inches up the stem and radially. Elms, most oaks, mulberries, ash and some maples work well. Birch, willow and some other species have slender and flexible limbs that provide poor footing.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Depends where you live. Where do you live?

Old 01-02-2019, 11:51 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,659,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Franklinia if you have the right conditions and lots of patience. One of the rarest native eastern trees.
I had wanted a Franklinia for many years. When we moved here, a local tree farm surprised me by having them. I had one planted that is about 7 ft tall. Exceeded my expectations when it started blooming in July and over six weeks had 100+ blossoms open up. Really looking forward to seeing how it does this next summer.

Planting a cool tree for future generations, what would you plant ?-0724181630.jpg

Old 01-03-2019, 12:08 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
We have 6 acres in the PNW so can grow just about anything. We have a 15’ Sequoia that we hope whoever buys our home in the future doesn’t cut down. There are also 4 Sequioas we received from a neighbor who had a cabin in Sequioa National Park. The largest is 6’.

We have some old second growth Douglas Fir, Cedar, Spruce and Hemlock that are from 4’- 6’ in diameter at the base. We hope they stay, too. Since we moved here over 30 years ago, over 100 acres have been cut down for homes. We are planting trees every year, some native, some not. This year we planted native dogwood, Douglas maple, Sitka Spruce and vine maple for natives and oaks, birches and maples for fall color that are not native. We fertilize them in the early spring with fertilizer spikes.

We also have several mature ornamental deciduous trees we planted through the years including a beech, Katsura, dogwood, and Japanese maples.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:03 AM

6,415 posts, read 4,911,200 times
I would plant a Rivers Purple Beech, a Weeping Purple Beech, a Tricolor Beech, a Copper Beech, White Oak, fastigiate Oak

Old 01-03-2019, 09:43 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
The new disease resistant American Chestnut.

https://www.americanforests.org/maga...ican-chestnut/

Old 01-03-2019, 10:17 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Araucaria araucana or Monkey Puzzle

It's a living dinosaur, and cool looking as heck, and will live nearly anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_araucana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden