Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 03:50 PM

11,035 posts, read 6,584,311 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this kind of gardening? Planted these 3 together? And if so, how did it turn out?
Are there are any modern-day reasons to companion-plant like this? Like the Southwest Native Americans did.

I think it would be interesting to try this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 AM

7,180 posts, read 5,030,139 times
I get a kick out of trying old things too as an experiment.

Using the Three Sisters system doesn't lend itself well to industrial food production of course, but the NAs inadvertently stumbled onto the advantage of planting a Nitrogen-fixing legume to keep soil fertility high and of mixing three veggies, each of which is deficient in an essential amino acid, but together provide all three. Their fruits are tasty and easy to store-- a good choice for "preppers" like the Indians.

Don't forget that corn needs to be wind pollinated by its neighbors, so you need to plant at least a hundred seeds or more in an area of 4-500 sq ft or so to get good fruiting. You may be disappointed if you plant only a few seeds -- or if you don't protect your plot from the local thieves. Those deer & racoons always seem to know when my crop is ripe about 8 hrs before I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden