Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 11:17 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I freeze all kinds of peppers at the end of summer. I dice or cut in strips, freeze on a baking tray with wax paper (as said above) and move into ziplocs. I also freeze stuffed peppers. They cook a bit faster, but they still taste better than the ones I get in a store in the winter months.
Yes; but aren't they then 'cold' peppers? I'll give it a try; but I have some changes planned for my garden and I don't know how it will all come out this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 04:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Peppers freeze fine, but I think dehydrating them is a better idea - no energy required, and uses much less storage space.

You don't need a dehydrator or an oven - although you certainly can use them.

Do what they do in the southwest - make a ristra - https://pallensmith.com/2016/09/26/dry-peppers-ristras/
A ristra may work in dry areas like the southwest. In other areas, what about rain and bugs?

Old 02-06-2019, 05:04 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Thanks ever so much for the responses. That will help solve the problem of what to put in my raised garden bed. How long is the germination time and can you get 2 crops per summer or just one? And, they won't survive the winter? We don't get a hard frost here, but it did get down to 26 degrees one night last month.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:24 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
A ristra may work in dry areas like the southwest. In other areas, what about rain and bugs?
If you have rain in your kitchen, why would you be wasting time making ristras??????

This is no different from the folks who keep braids of onions/garlic hanging in their kitchen. Or a fruit basket. Maybe no one you know does this, but I can assure you that people do.

Or a spare bedroom. Or a laundry room. Or the furnace/water heater closet. All that's required is air.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Thanks ever so much for the responses. That will help solve the problem of what to put in my raised garden bed. How long is the germination time and can you get 2 crops per summer or just one? And, they won't survive the winter? We don't get a hard frost here, but it did get down to 26 degrees one night last month.
If you're diligent, you can overwinter your pepper plants inside or in a garage. Some peppers can take a while to germinate.

We'll have to keep this thread going. I've got scotch bonnets, poblanos, and sweet jalapenos planted.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Freeze them, dehydrate them, or pickle them.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:56 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Freeze them whole on a cookie sheet, then pop them into a zip lock freezer bag. They'll last for a year or two.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:12 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Yes; but aren't they then 'cold' peppers? I'll give it a try; but I have some changes planned for my garden and I don't know how it will all come out this year.
--not after I cook them

I buy bunches from a farmer's market. I can't grow peppers for some reason--except jalapenos.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:34 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I'm not a pepper fan, but worked with a man who grew peppers and just about everything else. He told us once he cans his peppers. Said when you open the jar whenever, the juice is great for cooking.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:01 PM

845 posts, read 1,348,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I wouldn't try to over-winter any peppers. Plants like peppers or tomatoes grow seeded fruits to make other plants and fruit, so over-wintering is not really necessary.

I love making fermented hot sauce, so I bought into three or four different hot pepper types. Last year I only had one type of hot pepper, and the sauce didn't really seem very hot to me. However, I had amazing results of my tomatoes and using hot peppers in my chili or tomato sauce.

Anyways, I'm really going out this year. More different types of peppers this year, than I do have tomatoes. One raised bed will be all tomatoes, the other all peppers. Around them, I'll be growing various flowers, like Borage or Lemon Balm. Otherwise, for now, I have will have a good selection of tomatoes and peppers this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden