Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 10:57 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,682 times

Advertisements

i live in Louisville (kentucky) and i was wondering what kind of palms and other tropical plants i could plant outside and keep them outside all year round.(if any) Louisville is located in zone 6 but on the newest map i looked at it says Louisville is in zone 7. So if anyone could help me out and give me some tips thatd be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 08:41 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Gosh, you're right ... Every map is different! Good grief ...

There's a hardy banana palm (inedible fruit) that you can get from catalogues -- my neighbor in Cincinnati had one, and she didn't plant it in a protected area, either. It was about 12 feet tall. I think there are some hibiscus varieties that you can plant in Zone 6 as well. The more protected the area, and the more you mulch it in the winter, the more likely the plant will survive.

Did you try the extension service? They know everything ...

Good luck!

Old 08-08-2007, 09:31 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I was at a plant show at Locust Grove (historic site in Louisville) in May. There were vendors there selling elephant ears - really wonderful ones there - they can be grown in Louisville...not sure if they die back in the winter and come back in the warm months, but they are perennials in Louisville.

The way to find out what grows in Louisville is to talk to a garden expert that actually lives there. Usually master garden programs are run through college extensions....I'd do a search and make a few phone calls. I'll bet they would have lists of tropicals or sub-tropicals that may do well in Louisville.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:54 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Louisville is a zone 6/7

If you like palms there are several you can try. These plants will give your garden a temperate/sub tropical look and wow your friends and guests.

1. Trachycarpus Fortunei- a fan palm from Asia- can be bought on line from e bay. Tough cold tolerant to about 0-5 degrees. Should be protected the first several winters. Plant in an optimum situation. These palms can tolerate cold and a covering of snow.

Trachycarpus Takil and TrachycarpusWagnerianus (stiff leaf form-very attractive) and The 'Taylor' form are variations and perhaps a few degrees more cold hardy. I grow the Fortunei and 'Waggie' in CT- and they have survived winters here in the ground. I am a zone 6/7 also.

hardiestpalms.com :: Trachycarpus fortunei (http://www.hardiestpalms.com/Tfortunei/index.html - broken link)
Trachycarpus fortunei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2.Sabal Minor and Sabal McCurtain- the dwarf blue fan leafed palm native to the American SE- cold hardy to zero (the minor) and below zero the 'McCurtain'. Very slow growing, needs lots of heat in the summer. Forms 'Louisiana' and 'Birmingham' grow a little larger and develop a small trunk-but are a wee less cold hardy.

hardiestpalms.com :: Sabal minor (http://www.hardiestpalms.com/Sminor/index.html - broken link)
Dwarf Palmetto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. 'Needle Palm' from the American southeast- clumping green leafed fan palm, trunk less- slow growing- hardy to zero or below.
Rhapidophyllum hystrix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
hardiestpalms.com

All these palms can be bought on line- many from e bay.

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-18-2008 at 04:33 AM..

Old 08-09-2007, 11:03 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,682 times
thanks a lot ill have to look into them on e-bay or maybe they will have some at a greenhouse around here

Old 04-10-2008, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 31,550 times
I set out 3 Sabal Mccurtains last summer in south central Kentucky about two hours drive from the Ville. I didn't protect them any over the winter. I wanted them to sink or swim. All three of them survived the winter and they look pretty good right now. I set one of them on the wind-protected side of the house and two on the windward side of the house. The wind-protected side looks just a touch bit better than the other two (which still looks pretty good).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden