U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:47 AM

15,400 posts, read 27,514,244 times

Advertisements

I have a spot under bay windows that gets a little bit of sun during the day but is mostly shady. Impatiens do very well there, but I'd rather find a perennial (it gets pricey to plant annuals year after year). Any suggestions? We have deer, so hosta aren't the best solution.

Right now I am leaning towards the lamium that has variegated leaves. My thought is that the variegated leaves will keep it from looking too much like a weed. Or, possibly columbine (but not sure if it will really flower in my spot).

I live in the upper south, with some snow and ice in the winter. Hot summers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 11:52 AM

6,289 posts, read 22,098,926 times
Maybe some of the smaller azaleas if a shrub would work for you. Mix in a few annuals around the edge for color in the summer. Just a thought.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:35 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,921,999 times
Hosta plants do well in the shade. They bloom in the fall I believe with purple flowers on long stems. They are perennials and when they grow back up in the spring you can dig them up and divide them.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:49 PM

I wish I could grow Hosta but the local deer eat 'em no matter what I do. Netting doesn't help. They think liquid Fence makes a great salad dressing. They snicker at coyote urine and when I switch to bobcat they still snicker... and then they meow!

I don't get it, personally. Why the hosta? They leave my impatiens alone but they go to town on the hosta.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:56 PM

311 posts, read 1,760,864 times
I really like the dwarf bleeding hearts, Use those towards the back and then mix in some cyclamen towards the front of the bed.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:01 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,921,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I wish I could grow Hosta but the local deer eat 'em no matter what I do. Netting doesn't help. They think liquid Fence makes a great salad dressing. They snicker at coyote urine and when I switch to bobcat they still snicker... and then they meow!

I don't get it, personally. Why the hosta? They leave my impatiens alone but they go to town on the hosta.
That is a bummer. My Grandma had the same problem with her dogwoods. She wanted them in her front yard and every year they died. So she would plant a new one. Come to find out the deer were coming out of the woods at like 4 in the morning and eating all the new leaves and stripping the bark. They never touched her hostas though. Maybe your deer think you are putting out a salad buffet? lol

Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM

360 posts, read 941,180 times
I like caladiums in the shade, and they are deer-resistant. They are not perennial, but you can dig the bulbs up in the fall, store, then replant when the soil is warm. (A lot of trouble, but economical at least.) In deep shade, the colors are not as brilliant, but they still provide some color where blooming plants don't do well.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:43 PM

1,378 posts, read 5,946,773 times
How about Endless Summer Hydrangea? The can take some morning sun. Soil needs to be acidic.

Endless Summer Hydrangea, The first hydrangea macrophylla that blooms on both old and new wood, flowers virtually all season long and is hardy to zone 4, Endless Summer hydrangeas will produce magnificent blue or pink blooms depending on the pH of yo

They're beautiful! They should winter over where you're at.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Those are gorgeous! They would be perfect, I'll check with the local nursery to see if I get enough sun for 'em though. My spot is shady in the morning but gets sun for 2-3 hours in the afternoon. Soil is acidic.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:32 PM

1,378 posts, read 5,946,773 times
You know what's cool to do with them after season.......clip them towards the end of the season....make sure they're dried out....then spray them with a cranberry red floral spray paint and then follow through with a dusting of gold glitter spray. They're beautiful in holiday arrangements or even bunches tied together and placed inside your Christmas tree. You can even spray paint them with the floral paint in a pretty blue/purple color with silver spray for a different look.

I just love them! Pretty easy to maintain too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden