Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 05:57 AM

6 posts, read 15,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
Thanks, the Thuja Emerald Green Giants are great trees to have IMO.

Whenever I post my pics of our previous homes project(s) that I did on them, I try to edit them where they will not be recognized by the present property owner. And my Thuja pics were from one of our previous homes.

Because I am basically posting pics of someone else's property now. So while not being sure they would appreciate seeing their property pics being posted on the internet by its previous owner. (me) I then delete them shortly after. I do the same with my sketches that I draw and post for info.

And also people need to be aware that whenever they post their pics on a "public domain" website, their pics can end up on the Bing images or other hosts sites, for anyone to copy/paste/alter if they choose to, for their own use. This is one of the few sites I am on, that really enforce the CR rules and that does a great job of reminding people of the CR rules. But even CD cannot control what happens to our personally taken photos, that we post on here.

JMO
totally agree with you about the pics posted online, you never know....I believe your trees i saw in the pics were green giants though..they were not emerald green??? emerald green will not get that big....
i am still waiting for some opinions from the pros about the good looking trees, shrubs and plants that regular people see in the nurseries....does it really matter how they look when the plants are young ? I always go for the bigger , healthier greener denser looking plants and pay the retail price....is it ok to buy a little worse looking plants with discounted price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 06:15 AM

577 posts, read 493,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkeyn View Post
totally agree with you about the pics posted online, you never know....I believe your trees i saw in the pics were green giants though..they were not emerald green??? emerald green will not get that big....
i am still waiting for some opinions from the pros about the good looking trees, shrubs and plants that regular people see in the nurseries....does it really matter how they look when the plants are young ? I always go for the bigger , healthier greener denser looking plants and pay the retail price....is it ok to buy a little worse looking plants with discounted price?

You are right and I stand corrected. Our Thuja's were just giants, not emerald greens. Thanks for the heads up !

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 05-24-2019 at 09:03 AM..

Old 05-24-2019, 10:44 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
all the emerald greens around here are bare for about the first 6 feet. i am always amazed that anyone gets them considering how none of them seem to be spared by the deer.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:21 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
all the emerald greens around here are bare for about the first 6 feet. i am always amazed that anyone gets them considering how none of them seem to be spared by the deer.
Same here in my part of va (dc burbs).

Old 05-25-2019, 08:50 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
This is a great thread, I planted mine around 18 months ago, and the only real noticeable growth so far is the center shoot has grown up about two or three feet, with little surrounding it. There has been some width change as well but it is agonizing waiting on the the growth to block a hole where I had to remove an emerald arbor vitae that was killed by bagworms. And its right next to my privacy fence which is right next to my neighbors heavily traveled sidewalk. And my deck is only about 8 feet away.

I think I should have loosened up the soil more around the transplanted zone, the hole was twice the width of the planter. Perhaps I'm just impatient, I don't know, but this year I plan on installing a soaker hose nearby and watering it often. I don't think you can overwater these, and I hope every other day waterings won't be too much. I can't wait to see growth like the pictures on this thread.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:49 AM

My advice to get it to grow faster - Bayer 3-1 Feed & Protect!

I’ve used Holly Tone, 10-10-10 and food spikes. But last year I used the Bayer for the first time to keep the bugs off (only need it once a year). They took off like rockets last year! This year I did it again, including on the new ones (14 total) for the first time. Man - I’m not kidding, they’re all growing like crazy. The 3 year old trees will all be together by August, and the new ones are starting to fill out.

That growth at the top of yours, that stem - is EXACTLY what you want to see. That’s the leader, do not damage it. If it’s growing that fast, then it’s only a matter of time for it to start bushing outward.

Two of ours had settled too deep into the ground. I pulled away about 4 inches of soil to make it all level with the top of the flare at the base of the tree trunk. Did that about 5 weeks ago. Now the lower areas of those two are filling in better and the lower limbs seem to be “relaxing” better and lowering down.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:44 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post

I’ve used Holly Tone, 10-10-10 and food spikes. But last year I used the Bayer for the first time to keep the bugs off (only need it once a year). They took off like rockets last year! This year I did it again, including on the new ones (14 total) for the first time. Man - I’m not kidding, they’re all growing like crazy. The 3 year old trees will all be together by August, and the new ones are starting to fill out.

That growth at the top of yours, that stem - is EXACTLY what you want to see. That’s the leader, do not damage it. If it’s growing that fast, then it’s only a matter of time for it to start bushing outward.

Two of ours had settled too deep into the ground. I pulled away about 4 inches of soil to make it all level with the top of the flare at the base of the tree trunk. Did that about 5 weeks ago. Now the lower areas of those two are filling in better and the lower limbs seem to be “relaxing” better and lowering down.
Thanks for that, can you post a link to what you used? Is it this?

Amazon.com

Old 05-29-2019, 05:43 AM

Yep, that’s it! Once a year! It’ll keep the bugs out and feed too. Next year, you’ll really notice how well they’re doing when you do it again.

Add some holly tone every couple of months to boost.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:25 AM

6 posts, read 15,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post

are you sure that is the Bayer made the difference ? Maybe the roots settled after a few years and now they are growing faster. I have read that green giants grow faster 2-3 years after they are planted. I don't think I should use the Bayer this year since it has been only 3 months they were planted? Maybe next year will be better....

Old 05-29-2019, 06:46 AM

577 posts, read 493,266 times
I never put a thing on our Thuja Giants to stimulate their growth from the time I planted them as 5 ft. tall x 3/4" diameter sticks. I firmly believe the big pine tree with its constant feed of pine needles dropping down fed the Thuja Giants for me.

JMO

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 05-29-2019 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden