U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 02:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,058,119 times

Advertisements

Thought I would share these two photos to show you just how fast the Thula Green Giant Arborvitae evergreens can grow. And to also suggest that if you ever want to install them, do NOT transplant them but rather go with a container-grower instead. Transplanting them seems to dramatically slow their growth rate down as they struggle to get re-established from being pulled out of the ground the first time.

I think these two photos speak for themselves. The time line between the two photos is roughly 30 months, and this is my back yard. When we bought this house, there were hardly any trees left in the yard. The previous owner apparently got confused (probably the booze) and when he got buzzed by a bee at the end of 2011, he went for the round-up instead of the pesticide and sprayed everything down with it. Killed off nearly everything and did not replace any of it. Needless to say, I got a good deal on this house in late 2015.

Photos taken April 2016 and September 2018. We installed 5 trees here. Two were about 14 feet (transplants) and 3 were 6 to 7 foot container grown. Today, the 3 smaller trees are larger than the two transplanted trees. When measured in September, the smaller ones were approaching 18 feet from the ground..

When they get to a height we like that blocks out more of our neighbor's home, we'll trim them to contain their height. When you do that, as I am told, they will then start to grow wider instead, making for a nice solid green hedge 24/7/365.

We're about to install a whole bunch more for added privacy. We wanted to wait to see how we liked them before going all-in for more. We're definitely ready now!
Attached Thumbnails
Thula Green Giant Arborvitae (growth rate pictures)-hjihig.png   Thula Green Giant Arborvitae (growth rate pictures)-456fgws.png  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 06:29 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,719,652 times
They've grown to become beautiful! Way to go.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:12 PM

13,504 posts, read 12,280,748 times
Really nice!

Old 02-26-2019, 10:30 PM

18,552 posts, read 40,070,237 times
I see these for sale in my area but I’ve always been hesitant to buy them. The tag always says up to zone 7, but I’m in 8b. I just wonder if they can handle the heat as well as Leyland Cypress.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:34 AM

128 posts, read 88,694 times
Wow! They look great!
I just received some emerald green Thujas. They are only about 8-10" tall. I have them in small pots on my back porch. I am going to plant them along my driveway as soon as I can get the 13 Leylands cut down. A previous homeowner planted the Leylands in a space that's only about 4-5'wide. Not a good plan for plants that grow 10' wide or more. Those trees have been chopped on one side so that a car can actually drive into the driveway. It's an eyesore.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:26 AM

5,879 posts, read 3,016,997 times
The Green Giant Arborvitae’s take a season or two to re-establish their root system after being transplanted like most other root ball transplants. When purchaseing larger trees ( we bought 8 footers) they are not available in containers so there is a time lapse in growth as you have noticed.

Most evergreens will grow wider when keeping the tops trimmed to maintain a specific height.

Also, I’m guessing that your trees have experienced maximum growth due to be in full sun?

I’ve seen these trees planted in shady locations that grow at a snails pace. All published growth rates are based on their ideal sun time and soil conditions. Your trees look Great and I love greenery as a property sight barrier!

You

Old 02-28-2019, 12:04 PM

Thanks all, we love these trees! The first 3 were about 6 feet tall when installed from container and have done the best. We had 5 14-16 footers installed from bag/burlap that have done ok but like the smaller ones. They all get a lot of healthy sunlight, but the first 3 definitely get the most.

We’re about to install 14 more around our back and side yard, removing 3 of the 4 crape myrtles to make room for more year-round privacy.

We have a ton of deer in our neighborhood. These trees are about the only thing we’ve had any real luck with them leaving alone.

Lots of Holly Tone and tons of water for the first two years has paid off.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:11 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,760,236 times
Weve thought about tyem. But they grow too wide to be next to the chain link fence in a narrow area where we want privacy.

Instead we got 2' narrow growth something or other ( cant remember the name), but they have not grown nearly the 3 ' they are supposed to each year after 2.5 years. A couple died on us. They are only 3' total. And we bought the reccomended root growth fertilizer extra.

We are severely disappointed.

Glad you are thrilled with yours.

I dont envy you trimming the tops though.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:53 AM

Ugh the agony of waiting for mother nature to hit the road with this polar crap..

14 delivered today, having to put them in the garage for a couple of days to prevent them from freezing up. Crew ready, just waiting for Elsa to go on spring break... after tomorrow, we look to be in clear of the hard freezes!

For reference, those garage door tracks are 8 ft in the air..

For the record, I have spring fever badly, and I’m a person with patience level of a sand flea on Crystal meth. When I want it done, I really want it done....
Attached Thumbnails
Thula Green Giant Arborvitae (growth rate pictures)-c2d121d1-5543-45bc-9bf8-287317c72df5.jpeg   Thula Green Giant Arborvitae (growth rate pictures)-c549c9f3-99da-4a63-ac2a-e77c6ab21b3a.jpeg  

Last edited by NC211; 03-05-2019 at 12:16 PM..

Old 03-06-2019, 05:18 AM

80,356 posts, read 68,422,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Thought I would share these two photos to show you just how fast the Thula Green Giant Arborvitae evergreens can grow.

Photos taken April 2016 and September 2018. We installed 5 trees here. Two were about 14 feet (transplants) and 3 were 6 to 7 foot container grown. Today, the 3 smaller trees are larger than the two transplanted trees. When measured in September, the smaller ones were approaching 18 feet from the ground..

We're about to install a whole bunch more for added privacy. We wanted to wait to see how we liked them before going all-in for more. We're definitely ready now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Ugh the agony of waiting for mother nature to hit the road with this polar crap..

14 delivered today, having to put them in the garage for a couple of days to prevent them from freezing up. Crew ready,..
Sweet! Thanks for the pics! They are a great privacy tree but what are your plans for the heavy snow and ice for them? That's my only drawback with them. And yeah, Spring can't get here fast enough!

Here's a comparison pic 5 yrs apart. I like how yours are shaped with a rounded bottom.

Quote:
And to also suggest that if you ever want to install them, do NOT transplant them but rather go with a container-grower instead. Transplanting them seems to dramatically slow their growth rate down as they struggle to get re-established from being pulled out of the ground the first time.

Good tip! Thanks! I took some clippings from them, dipped in root powder, and put them in a pot. Let them get established them put them in the ground. They are easy to reproduce.

Quote:
When they get to a height we like that blocks out more of our neighbor's home, we'll trim them to contain their height. When you do that, as I am told, they will then start to grow wider instead, making for a nice solid green hedge 24/7/365.

Yup, I waited until 2018 to trim the height. They were getting too high. I noticed by Fall 2018 they were "filling in" any gaps width wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden