Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 05:10 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Lots of good posts in this thread. It's funny what you "read" and get passed on, VERSE what you experience.

I was one to always rather see for myself. I get the concept of crop rotation but then you should ask yourself... Do farms rotate their crops? lol Same spot each year and they have to be successful since they sell their crops.

I noticed my plants did well using the same spot each year.

Point is... You can be successful planting Tomatoes or other vegetable in the same spot... Just attend to it, and take care of any problems that may come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 05:26 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I went ahead and started my tomato seeds and I have three started and one is a dwarf which is wild fred and he did pretty good here two years ago and I got some seeds of him . Im putting him in a 5 gallon bucket and the other two are white wonder and Nebraska wedding and they both did really good here two years ago . Im putting them in the same bed and I may sprout one squash plant I don't know yet . I remember the rain killed my squash a year ago because it rained every day and the squash rotted on the vine it was so wet .

Old 03-11-2019, 09:25 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
1. cant grow heirlooms here too hot in sc . they don't do well at all here . Ive tried . 2. we cant build anything and I tried the bamboo it rotted we had so much rain here the last two years so that is out . My husband has a bad back and cant bend over to build anything ...im sorry just cant do seeds either for some reason. But thanks for the tips .

You can grow tomatoes in a 5 gallon bucket. One of he founder's of the dwarf tomato project grows tomatoes in buckets in his driveway in Raleigh NC. so some may have the type of resistance you need.

There is a topic: Easiest Foolproof Tomatoes To Grow in Your Region?

you may wish to review.

A couple of relevant comments I made in that thread as listed below for your convenience:

Quote:
It may be the temperature. There appear to be some overall differences. Cherry tomatoes generally will fruit at much higher temperatures than slicers and beefsteak types. Thee also tend to ripen better than larger tomatoes at lower temps also.

A determinate tomato should be temperature agnostic in terms of production and will likely produce.. I would suggest you trail a semi-determinate also and see how that works out.
Quote:
As an update, two varieties you should try known to do well in Florida.

Try Oregon Spring. It is a parthenocarpic variety so it can set fruit at high and low temperatures (when it does it won't have seeds in it). It is semi-indeterminate.

And in particular try Homestead. It was the preferred tomato of commercial growers and home gardeners in Florida during the 50s. It is a determinate variety and known to be almost foolproof. The bonus is its disease resistance.

The trick with determinates is understanding how they grow and planting them in succession. I would suggest 3 weeks between plantings. So 3 plants, at a staggered planting should give you about 9 weeks of tomatoes.

Both are at Walmart on the 50 cent seed rack.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:32 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I went ahead and started my tomato seeds and I have three started and one is a dwarf which is wild fred and he did pretty good here two years ago and I got some seeds of him . Im putting him in a 5 gallon bucket and the other two are white wonder and Nebraska wedding and they both did really good here two years ago . Im putting them in the same bed and I may sprout one squash plant I don't know yet . I remember the rain killed my squash a year ago because it rained every day and the squash rotted on the vine it was so wet .
There are dwarf squash plants you can grow in planters. 8 ball springs to mind, also Scallopini.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden