Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 03:03 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

No tomatoes are easy to grow in my area. I do indoor starts, greenhouse plastic, grow lights. It's a little contest we have with Mother Nature.

Just for one year I had a fabulous Russian tomato I got from a heritage seed site. My saved seeds wouldn't sprout and I never saw that variety again.

Celebrity is the most reliable for me, both to fruit and to have good flavor. I've tried dozens of heirlooms and they don't like my weather.

I'm going to try the chocolate cherry this year because so many people like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 06:29 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I just sown 3 of each, Black Krim, Celebrity hybrid, and Super Sweet 100. Normally I go to the nursery to get the Celebrity and the Early Girl, but not this year. I’m trying a different method.
One of these seeds sprouted today. I already bought Celebrity at Armstrong nursery, so I’m hoping Black Krim and Super Sweet 100.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
I forgot one:

Paul Robeson. Personally I do not like this tomato but I have been growing it for maybe 8 years simply because I keep trying to figure out what all the fuss is about. However it is a gorgeous looking tomato (If I did watercolors I would challenge myself to paint this one) and it is very early for a slicer and it produces all season. Disease hits it, and it simply does not care. It is a tough plants To me, for a black it has a mild to bland slightly smokey flavor. I like my tomatoes to smack in the face and say I am a tomato not try and seduce me into believing they are one. It is extremely wet and seedy and I have to pat it with a towel several times to use it in a sandwich. It physically makes a great salsa,but lack the flavor profile. It is lousy drier. But as I said, it is early and dependable, it produces in low temps, and make a beautiful center piece.
And of course may people swear by it.
I just checked my tomato plants and somehow I thought I bought Chocolate cherry but it’s actually Paul Robertson. Now reading your post, I feel cheated.
I do have Chocolate cherry seeds so I will sow them directly. I have no more cheap containers from 99c store.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:46 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I just checked my tomato plants and somehow I thought I bought Chocolate cherry but it’s actually Paul Robertson. Now reading your post, I feel cheated.
I do have Chocolate cherry seeds so I will sow them directly. I have no more cheap containers from 99c store.
As I said many people swear by Paul Robeson. I am assuming you meant that and not Paul Robertson.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
As I said many people swear by Paul Robeson. I am assuming you meant that and not Paul Robertson.
I think the label was wrong. But I check it again tomorrow.

https://www.rareseeds.com/paul-robeson-tomato/

Old 03-24-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
You are correct, it’s Paul Robeson on the label. Thanks for correcting me. I might have this wrong information in my heads somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden