Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 05:14 PM

330 posts, read 266,239 times

Advertisements

Any ideas? Basically don't want to see the cars driving by.

Last edited by blue777; 03-09-2019 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 05:22 PM

577 posts, read 494,246 times
Evergreens.....

Old 03-09-2019, 05:26 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Hedge.

Depends on how windy it is..
If none, Leyland Cypress
If a lot, Laurels.
If you want to go artsy, Privet. Thick, dense and you cna shape it into various whatever..
I like Laurels over Cypress as they are very dense at the bottom, leaving no trunk gap, like Cypress does.

Either way, you either pay a lot for grown trees, or wait years for it to grow.
Space at least 8 ft apart, so that they do not choke each other.

Hedge also creates excellent sound and CO barrier.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:33 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Need to know where OP lives, but judging by the pine straw I’m assuming it’s somewhere in the South.

Use native shade tolerant evergreens... like American Holly, Southern Magnolia, Sweetbay Magnolia, Loblolly Bay, Mountain Laurel, Wax Myrtle, azaleas, etc...

Old 03-09-2019, 05:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Hedge.

Depends on how windy it is..
If none, Leyland Cypress
If a lot, Laurels.
If you want to go artsy, Privet. Thick, dense and you cna shape it into various whatever..
I like Laurels over Cypress as they are very dense at the bottom, leaving no trunk gap, like Cypress does.

Either way, you either pay a lot for grown trees, or wait years for it to grow.
Space at least 8 ft apart, so that they do not choke each other.

Hedge also creates excellent sound and CO barrier.
That is a natural looking area, so there’s no way I’d plant anything that needs hedging or shaping, that would look tacky IMO. Also, Leyland Cypress wouldn’t work there because the larger trees would shade it out and cause it to be thin and scraggly.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Or build a berm. Takes time and some planning, but when finished, can look as though it's always been there and is part of the landscape. Also more interesting in terms of plant possibilities.

Here are some instructions
https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-build-berm-4160528

I'm sure you can find others - google is your friend

Old 03-10-2019, 05:31 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Need to know where OP lives, but judging by the pine straw I’m assuming it’s somewhere in the South.

Use native shade tolerant evergreens... like American Holly, Southern Magnolia, Sweetbay Magnolia, Loblolly Bay, Mountain Laurel, Wax Myrtle, azaleas, etc...
The OP has not given us a location or geographic area. The OP lives in a fairly rural area and might have problems with deer? It looks like they have a rhododendron planted to the left side behind the boxwoods. Those boxwoods are great because they are one of the few plants deer will not eat; I cannot say the same for the rhododendron. Unfortunately the boxwoods will not grow high enough for privacy.

There is one plant that deer will not eat and will grow to about ten foot high with thick foliage - but it will take many years. Japanese Andromeda deer will not eat: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...-andromeda.htm. Here is a picture I took that shows one of three I had planted on the side of an old garden. The three make almost an impenetrable barrier - I just don't have a picture handy of all three of them. I also did very little pruning. The one, pictured to the right of the turkeys, would make a great privacy screen all year round.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-10-2019, 06:04 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
I personally wouldn't do it because your house seems somewhat close to the road, and I would want to see what was on the boundaries of my property from some distance. It would also disturb the distribution of natural light which could have a negative effect on the plants and lawn you already have. Also, that roadway looks very small and probably doesn't see very much traffic overall.

That said, the quickest and easiest way not to see cars is privacy fencing. Could be really cheap or pricy depending on the material you choose and how much of the work you can do yourself. Unlike with plantings, you can also create a gate across your driveway.

Check local regulations. In most places, hedges and fences need to be at least 3 feet in from the road, which could also make your front yard seem a lot smaller.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:07 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
I love stonewalls but depends on the property I suppose.. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/7846...32378/?lp=true

Old 03-10-2019, 07:25 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Yes - the quickest thing is to put up an ugly fence - gorgeous to look at! But please consider some natural looking vegetation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden