Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 12:35 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,855 times

Advertisements

Hey I hope someone can help me. Stinkhorn fungus has been found on my property and it stinks bad! I don't know exactly where to go for information concerning this. Does anyone know how to get rid of it? Does watering make it worse and spread?

I look forward to hearing from anyone with any tips and advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 12:54 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Hey I hope someone can help me. Stinkhorn fungus has been found on my property and it stinks bad! I don't know exactly where to go for information concerning this. Does anyone know how to get rid of it? Does watering make it worse and spread?

I look forward to hearing from anyone with any tips and advice. Thanks.
HUH!?!?!?! Never heard of it.... so I googled it. Here is one link and the picture, well, um purdy
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ww0504.htm

On another link for gardens there was this response to someone having a problem with it:
"Good old fashioned bordeaux powder (a mixture of copper sulfate and lime) will knock back stinkhorn."
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...4811824.html?3

Good luck

Old 12-18-2006, 01:08 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,855 times
Thanks Momof2dfw it means alot.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:34 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
Wow. That is really...interesting looking.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:42 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
I read the links momof2dfw provided having never heard of this fungus before....total ewww factor. Another variety smells like dog pooh...how attractive.
I guess the suggestions provided by the garden forum are the way to go. I'd be tempted to take the environmentally unfriendly route which would be to spray paint them or shellack them so they can't get air or have bugs and flies land on them until they give up.
Though...if there's someone you don't like...ziplock bag.... wrapped in nice paper..bow tied on...they'd make a terrific stocking stuffer

Old 12-18-2006, 05:04 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,673 times
Does it glow in the dark?

Old 12-18-2006, 05:33 PM

Stargazer,

Have you contacted a Texas Master Gardener? I'd also check out Neil Sperry's site and see if he has anything on it. Since he is in Texas and familiar w/ such things that go in in Texas he might have an idea of how to get rid of it and keep it from coming back. Other than that, ewwwwwwww

But then again the holidays are coming and if the walk to your front door stinks bad enough it might keep the relatives away. And it has been nice enough to have the windows open. A nice wiff coming inside.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:56 PM

156 posts, read 792,212 times
Lightbulb Dept. of Ag

You could contact the Department of Agriculture in your state and see what they recommend for this problem.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:39 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I read the links momof2dfw provided having never heard of this fungus before....total ewww factor. Another variety smells like dog pooh...how attractive.
Though...if there's someone you don't like...ziplock bag.... wrapped in nice paper..bow tied on...they'd make a terrific stocking stuffer
Thanks for the laugh this morning, MoMark! You and my husband are just way too much alike! This is definitely something he would think of, and I shouldn't even mention this to my twenty-year old son. He's young enough to be tempted to do exactly that, especially if he got his best friend to help, (and he would be only too happy to do so).They would just have way too much fun! Fortunately, as far as I know, we don't have that fungus around here. Leastwise, I've never seen, (smelled?), it in my yard, or anyone else's yard, or out in the woods, when we go fishing, etc. Thank goodness.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:52 AM

Stargazer,

pick up the newest Southern Living (I believe it is January out now) and believe it or not I was reading it last night and someone had written in about this very fungus. What are the chances . Anyway, they did answer and say that there is nothing that really treats it but what you see on the ground is just a very small part of it. The rest is underground so they said to dig it up, bag it and throw it away. They did say your garbage man will like you for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden