Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cut the grass or mow the lawn?
Cut the grass 20 40.82%
Mow the lawn 22 44.90%
Something else 3 6.12%
Neither, don’t have a lawn 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 08:15 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Lately on the HGTV and DIY programs I noticed that some people, especially in the southeast U.S say “cutting the grass.” I spent my first 40 years in California, then going on 26 here in Washington and have always said and heard “mowing the lawn.” Trivial, for sure, but curious if you think this is a geographic thing like soda/coke/pop.

Those two words have always been interchangeable and used equally, wherever I've been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 10:21 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Those two words have always been interchangeable and used equally, wherever I've been.
Same here in Canada....I say both ...though I tend to say “cutting the grass” a bit more.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:44 PM

372 posts, read 219,808 times
South Australia is 'the driest state in the driest continent'

I love beautifully kept lawns. However, in my state I think they're an indulgence. Also hate the work associated with maintaining a well kept lawn. Dislike artificial things, especially lawn, plants and hair.

The first thing I did when I moved into this house was to poison the front and back lawns. At the back, replaced with native ground covers, and allowed a large jasmine bush to spread. There are also two large Peppercorn trees, which badly need pruning

At the front, put in a few shrubs, such as Blue Juniper,(a prostrate conifer) a couple of Golden Diosma, a Bird of Paradise and two Cocos Island Palms--and 2 dozen Tea Roses. Once established, roses are drought tolerant, so require little watering. -plus a few a couple of native trees, a Melaleuca and native Franjipani (beautiful yellow flowers)

I assure you, all this sounds much better than it looks .

These days I pay a young bloke to do my gardening; I run out of puff.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:57 PM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Cut the lawn, Cut the grass, Mow the grass, Mow the lawn, whatever.

It doesn't matter what you call it.

Just cut the messy long green stuff growing on the dirt.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:02 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Here we mow the lawn, cut the hay and bush hog the weeds.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:45 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Good point, tall weed grasses would be cutting grass since it’s not lawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Cut the lawn, Cut the grass, Mow the grass, Mow the lawn, whatever.

It doesn't matter what you call it.

Just cut the messy long green stuff growing on the dirt.

I've never heard anyone say "cut the lawn." ... "Mow the grass" might be used by a farmer when referring to maintaining pasture, never in reference to a lawn.

In my neck of the mid-west, 'mow the lawn" and "cut the grass" are interchangeable with neither used preferably.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I voted for "cut the grass," though we also interchangeably say "mow the lawn" and "mow the grass." It's never been clear cut or a big deal.

I disagree that it's a "quality thing" though - or a class distinction - I think it may be regional or whatever but I don't think using any phrase necessarily means something more or less high class or "quality."

Old 04-07-2019, 07:50 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I think “quality” refers to the plantings not the people. Some yards are monocultures and others are just whatever grows cut short. A monoculture would be of higher visual appeal, higher maintenance, and probably considered higher quality ergo a “lawn”.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:00 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
It's kind of cut the grass, cut the hay, but mow the hay field. I look at it more of a size thing. A lawn is something you have in the city that's small. If I say I'm going out the cut the grass, that tells my wife I'll be outside for a while and to please bring out a co-cola or some sweet tea in a little bit.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I think “quality” refers to the plantings not the people. Some yards are monocultures and others are just whatever grows cut short. A monoculture would be of higher visual appeal, higher maintenance, and probably considered higher quality ergo a “lawn”.
Sorry but that's not "the way it is" for everyone. My family has always taken great care of their grass, aka the lawn. We've generally lived in neighborhoods - and "grass" or "lawns" are babied on, but the terms are used interchangeably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden