Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 12:40 PM

481 posts, read 502,151 times

Advertisements

Trying to clone my Peach Tree. Cut a few trimmings off branches. Attached are images of the trimmings, a few weeks old now. Two of them have the leaves almost completely fallen off. Are they supposed to look like this?
Even the one with the leaves seem to be leaning over a bit.

I used some root hormone, and dipped the stem in it, then planted the trimmings in dirt from my back yard. I water it whenever the soil seems dry. I also have poked a drainage hole in the bottom of the cup.

Thoughts? Are they healthy? Will they bounce back?
Attached Thumbnails
Cloning my peach tree-img_20190411_141456595.jpg   Cloning my peach tree-img_20190411_141452923.jpg   Cloning my peach tree-img_20190411_141448383.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 06:27 PM

14,676 posts, read 14,788,155 times
Sorry to say, but they don't look good and I don't think they're going to bounce back. They have some kind of fungal infection, maybe also some other toxic contamination from the dirt too. The third one with leaves on it looks infected at the top as well so I wouldn't hold out much hope for it but try leaving it a little longer and see what happens.

Try taking fresh new cuttings again in an another couple of weeks and use clean sterile peat or else clean, well composted potting soil from the garden store to start them in to get healthy roots established.

Do NOT use the dirt from your yard, it does not look good for starting cuttings. It might be okay for other really well established, healthy plants that you already have growing in the dirt in your back yard but it's not "friendly" for new cuttings. It's too sandy and heavy, the organic material in it is not properly composted and has fungal spores on it. Under magnification I can see the dirt is contaminated with bits of rusting metal, plastic, paper, glass chips, styrofoam, charcoal and ashes from chemically treated wood and who knows what other kinds of garbage or bacteria is in there.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sorry to say, but they don't look good and I don't think they're going to bounce back. They have some kind of fungal infection, maybe also some other toxic contamination from the dirt too. The third one with leaves on it looks infected at the top as well so I wouldn't hold out much hope for it but try leaving it a little longer and see what happens.

Try taking fresh new cuttings again in an another couple of weeks and use clean sterile peat or else clean, well composted potting soil from the garden store to start them in to get healthy roots established.

Do NOT use the dirt from your yard, it does not look good for starting cuttings. It might be okay for other really well established, healthy plants that you already have growing in the dirt in your back yard but it's not "friendly" for new cuttings. It's too sandy and heavy, the organic material in it is not properly composted and has fungal spores on it. Under magnification I can see the dirt is contaminated with bits of rusting metal, plastic, paper, glass chips, styrofoam, charcoal and ashes from chemically treated wood and who knows what other kinds of garbage or bacteria is in there.

Very helpful. Thank you. I will get some good stuff from the store tomorrow

Old 04-11-2019, 08:48 PM

14,676 posts, read 14,788,155 times
Good luck!

Old 04-16-2019, 04:56 AM

4,554 posts, read 6,243,607 times
If you have not tried this method, give it a try....

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-16-2019, 06:23 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,954,624 times
Agree totally with zoisite. New developing roots are so tender and fungi and bacteria from normal soil are eager to invade. But after the roots are maybe 6 inches long in the soilfree mix you can gently pick up that whole pot worth of soil and plant and add it to the center of a pot with a mix of the same medium plus the final soil. Then the fine roots will explore the new soil and start to adapt to it by being tougher. Plus some soil organisms can be beneficial. Good luck

Another thing to consider though is that your original tree might have been growing on resistant rootstock. In that case your new plants are just clones of the shoots and will not be as tough as the original plant. Most fruit trees are grafted.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:36 AM

attached is a pick of the new clones. They were trimmed from the tree on April 12. I noticed yesterday, and today that a couple of leaves fell off.

Is this still healthy looking? What am I doing wrong?

They get about a half day's worth of sunlight, and I water it lightly every day. Anything else I need to be doing?
Attached Thumbnails
Cloning my peach tree-peach-clones-day-13.jpg  

Old 04-25-2019, 05:33 PM

4,554 posts, read 6,243,607 times
Pick all but 2 small leaves, place in a ziploc bag (for humidity), place in partial sun, and cross your fingers....If it was easy to do, with a high success ratio, commercial nurseries would do this vs grafting.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden