Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 09:28 AM

6,361 posts, read 4,187,402 times

Advertisements

The tomato plants in the Jiffy Pods seem to be lanky and growing at a snails pace and I’m wondering if their going to be ready to get planted in buckets in the yard in 3 to 4 weeks?

Should I plant them in larger 1 qt containers and put them outside on warm days?

Or

Leave them as is until ready to plant? (perhaps I’m just inpatient?)

Or

Just abandon them and buy nursery grown tomato plants when ready to plant outdoors?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 09:53 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If they are lanky, they aren't getting enough light,

They won't take chill at this stage, so mine get grow lights, for which I use a standard florescent light in the "daylight" color spectrum.

You have to maintain their water so they never get dry but aren't too wet. I get mine the moisture level I want and then I spritz them with a spray bottle every time I walk by (gentle rain), and that tops of the moisture without getting the soil too wet.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If they are lanky, they aren't getting enough light,

They won't take chill at this stage, so mine get grow lights, for which I use a standard florescent light in the "daylight" color spectrum.

You have to maintain their water so they never get dry but aren't too wet. I get mine the moisture level I want and then I spritz them with a spray bottle every time I walk by (gentle rain), and that tops of the moisture without getting the soil too wet.
Here is a photo of these pathetic looking plants!

Last edited by Rickcin; 02-14-2021 at 08:06 PM..

Old 04-13-2019, 11:21 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
the light will help and being lanky is not a drawback since you can plant tomatoes out right up to the top leaves - the stem will just grow more roots and all will be well.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I planted mine inside in February, and the largest are over a foot tall. The difference may be that they are in a garden window, with light from the front, top, and both sides, and I rotate them daily. At about 6” high I moved them into 4” pots. Usually I take them out to the greenhouse about May 1 but I took two out already with recent warm nights and they were hitting the glass. This one enjoys hanging out with an orchid.
Attached Thumbnails
Tomato plant advice needed!-58fba889-4783-4856-8061-16aab6faf598.jpeg  

Old 04-13-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I planted mine inside in February, and the largest are over a foot tall. The difference may be that they are in a garden window, with light from the front, top, and both sides, and I rotate them daily. At about 6” high I moved them into 4” pots. Usually I take them out to the greenhouse about May 1 but I took two out already with recent warm nights and they were hitting the glass. This one enjoys hanging out with an orchid.
It looks really healthy and strong!

Old 04-17-2019, 08:32 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
The tomato plants in the Jiffy Pods seem to be lanky and growing at a snails pace and I’m wondering if their going to be ready to get planted in buckets in the yard in 3 to 4 weeks?

Should I plant them in larger 1 qt containers and put them outside on warm days?

Or

Leave them as is until ready to plant? (perhaps I’m just inpatient?)

Or

Just abandon them and buy nursery grown tomato plants when ready to plant outdoors?

Thanks
Bury them to their necks come Mother's Day. They'll be fine. Indoor plants are normally lanky due to the low light anyway.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:16 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
It looks really healthy and strong!
Where are you? I'd look at moving them outside in bigger pots if your about done with frosts and its generally nice during the day.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Where are you? I'd look at moving them outside in bigger pots if your about done with frosts and its generally nice during the day.
I’m in SW Virginia, the Roanoke area.

So I should transplant them into the large plastic beverage cups and leave them outside in the sun all day?

They are eventually going to be planted in 5 gallon buckets. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2019, 07:57 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
I’m in SW Virginia, the Roanoke area.

So I should transplant them into the large plastic beverage cups and leave them outside in the sun all day?
Yes, they are ready to be potted up into the plastic cups, but expose them to full sun SLOWLY. If you put them into full sun all day on their first day outside, they will die!

When you put them into the cups, bury the stem all the way to the base of the leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden