U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 10:03 AM

24,241 posts, read 31,287,679 times

Advertisements

If you want blue, go out there every now and again and sprinkle Epsom salts on the soil around the plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 04:50 AM

39,098 posts, read 48,059,764 times
My MA relatives have gorgeous blue hydrangeas. I know they always put lime on their lawns in the spring, so I assume the soil is very high acid.

Every place I live, I try to duplicate the blue hydrangeas, but not much luck in either Ohio or coastal GA.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:18 PM

345 posts, read 339,336 times
gentlearts~we always long for what we can't haven't, amiright?

Honestly I'll be happy either way. If I knew how to make a link of a photo taken on my phone, I would share what a tiny little pocket garden this is.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:02 PM

34,815 posts, read 44,343,905 times
This will likely be considered heresy but, if your soil needs a lot of amending to maintain the pH for hydrangeas, it might be easier on all levels to just leave it alone and accept the color you get.

Just to show you how wonky things can get, I've added nothing, I have a hydrangea where one side is blue and the other is pink. At least that's what it's been for several years.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:08 PM

9,026 posts, read 3,315,549 times
OP, I know you said you didn't want to amend the soil, but one of the easiest things you can do is is throw your coffee grounds around your plant. Or, water your plant with diluted coffee water. The acid in the coffee will make the flowers blue.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:41 AM

10 posts, read 2,546 times
I just planted Limelight Hydrangeas and I can hardly wait for them to grow. It was a container of sticks when I planted last week and now all the leaves are starting to sprout. Can't wait to see it in bloom.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:59 PM

25,370 posts, read 16,340,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP the acidity of your soil will determine your color.

Read this information...

https://www.gardenista.com/posts/mag...-change-color/
This.

Old 05-04-2019, 02:03 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
I just planted a Hydrangea macrophylla Endless Summer series 'Twist and Shout', no blooms yet. Added a couple perennials (purple heuchera and a mauve flowered Columbine) around it, knowing they're going to be overwhelmed and need to be removed when the shrub takes off. There are a couple of groundcovers in this bed as well, lamium (spotted deadnettle) and golden creeping Jenny. So, with a few decorative rocks and a little birdbath, it looks pretty nice ��!

Wondering if there are any Triangle NC gardener's here, especially ones with experience with hydrangeas. My know-how is all Midwestern, on lime clay soil. I know in Illinois my shrub would have pink flowers. Is there any chance I will get blue flowers here? Or purplish ones at best? I don't want to amend the soil, probably too lazy to keep up with that. Thanks!
Yes I can say with almost utmost certainty that you will get blue flowers being in North Carolina, which is dominated if not completely blessed or cursed(if you want to go that route and have a bad attitude) with highly leached acidic forest soils(as opposed to this rich fertile alkaline Midwest soils) so common to the southern United States and the eastern third of the lower forty eight states for that matter, but if you have doubts about my astute proposition then I suggest that you get your soil tested

Old 05-08-2019, 07:14 AM

12,267 posts, read 12,016,943 times
Oddly enough, I'm in NE Wisconsin by the lake, sandy soil, my hydrangea are both! I have 3 on the west side of my house, funny to see pink and blue on all 3. Black soil, turns brown in no time, no matter how much I add.

If I dig a foot or 2 down, usually gold sand. When I moved here, 1st time I wanted to dig, I fell over! Put my weight into the shovel (thinking Illinois clay) was shocked the whole shovel went in so easy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or