U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 01:16 PM

24,287 posts, read 31,358,972 times

Advertisements

It's iris planting time, snow is off the ground, rains have slowed down to a small roar, and my back is killing me.

My son was kind enough to dig up all my iris for me and bring them to Idaho. He doesn't garden, but he's seen me garden and he diligently broke all the iris clumps into planting size rhizomes. He brought me 9 seven gallon buckets full of small iris rhizomes. It would have been a lot easier to plant the large clumps and then sort them out after they bloom, but I won't mention that to him. I am just grateful that he dug them all up for me.

It's taken me two days to plant a 10 gallon bucket of little rhizomes, over 150 of them. I told him that the best iris were on the front edge, so he put the first couple of rows into a marked bucket. I am hoping that what I just planted are my plicatas.

Unfortunately, names are lost and the rhizomes aren't separated in any way, so I have to find room to plant them all. I've got some really fancy extra large, extra ruffle iris and I've got some heritage iris of no great value. they are all mixed together, so I have to plant and wait for them to bloom before I know what is what.

No throwing away a couple of buckets because those might possibly be the buckets with my extra fancy varieties.

I'm going to run out of room before I run out of rhizomes.

Who else is an iris fan and what have you got?

Any photos of iris? I wish I'd taken photos of mine when they were in bloom, but I didn't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 01:21 PM

2,388 posts, read 1,508,318 times
I had a few pretty Iris years back. And lost them. I also lost other bulbs. S/O said is probably a mouse ate them during winter.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:22 PM

39,172 posts, read 48,130,659 times
I am a huge iris fan, but have only just planted my first 6. I love the smell of irises. I’d like to take a bunch off your hands. It is pricey to buy the big ones.

Nice that you will be surprised to see what comes up where, Oregon.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:17 PM

36,500 posts, read 45,549,997 times
I have so many iris and they are from all over the country. Most labels got lost or ruined and I decided I don't care. I just love the surprise every spring when I get unexpected surprises.

My first iris were in 1976 from my grandmother's Oklahoma garden. I planted them in 2 different gardens in OK. Next I dug them up and took them to 2 consecutive gardens in Georgia. I spent 10 years separating them into colors, every spring concentrating on digging up one or two colors. Finally I was ready for the final stage of separating all the colors. I dug up ones I wanted to move and laid them on the lawn. A very long day later, I saw out of the corner of my eye my husband with the garden cart gathering up all the iris on the lawn! He thought he was helping but he was simply mixing up all the colors again. I was so crushed I couldn't say anything except "Thank you".

Today in my 2nd NC garden I recognize my Grandmother's iris, the ones from friends and neighbors and new ones I try every year. This is our last home and garden. I'm 73 and my husband is 80. My garden has so many wonderful memories and treasures. And I'm still buying new plants!

Old 04-21-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
........ I love the smell of irises. I’d like to take a bunch off your hands. It is pricey to buy the big ones...........

I'd love to send you some. But you might have to wait a couple of years until I can get them sorted out. They might not bloom this year, being planted this spring.

I have many nice ones that I traded for. Sometimes, if I see a really super looking one and there are many plants of it, I will ask the homeowner if I can trade for one of their rhizomes. I have many colors to trade.

When I had them all sorted out by name, there are a large number of people who will trade named varieties. Usually homeowners don't remember what variety they have and they will trade colors. Serious iris collectors will only trade named varieties.

Somewhere in those buckets there are three rhizomes of a black iris I got by accident. I had traded for several dark purples and when they came up and bloomed, one of them was black. My son, the one with no interest in gardening, has a particular affection for those black iris and specifically asked that I not leave them behind when we moved.

Sigh, The black iris are somewhere in one of those huge buckets.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:54 AM

gentlearts, you are correct that the nice big varieties can be expensive. When I first started planting iris, I ran an ad on Craigslist that I would come and correctly thin clumps of iris for free. I got many iris that way. Then, I bought named varieties, which come one rhizome at a time and then have to wait while they spread.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:00 AM

At one point, I bought a house that had been vacant for six years. This is in the desert, so very little water and no care. The house had hundreds of bright yellow iris that appear to be un-killable. They are heritage, so the flower isn't fancy, but they are tough, the blooms last a long time, and they look fabulous in mass. So, I've had my driveways lined with them and my fences lined with them.

I'm going to line my driveway here with them, as soon as I figure out which ones they are.

The big fancy ones are planted close to the house in a manner to showcase the flowers.... as soon as I figure out which ones they are.

I plant a lot of iris. Not only do I like them, but they are the only thing the deer and rabbits won't eat.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:06 AM

3,951 posts, read 1,732,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
gentlearts, you are correct that the nice big varieties can be expensive. When I first started planting iris, I ran an ad on Craigslist that I would come and correctly thin clumps of iris for free. I got many iris that way. Then, I bought named varieties, which come one rhizome at a time and then have to wait while they spread.
I have this fantasy that I can find someone to do this. I only have three colors, none planted by me, but the size of them - I have a white so white and icy it's almost blue, a lemon chiffon, and that mauve/brownish one. They bloom immense blooms and none are planted where I want them. I'd love to do a swap with other iris people and get some diverse colors. I have wild iris that I love best, but can't dig them because there's poison ivy where they grow.

Tell me how to properly divide them when I finally dig them up.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:43 PM

39,172 posts, read 48,130,659 times
Quote:
At one point, I bought a house that had been vacant for six years. This is in the desert, so very little water and no care. The house had hundreds of bright yellow iris that appear to be un-killable. They are heritage, so the flower isn't fancy, but they are tough, the blooms last a long time, and they look fabulous in mass. So, I've had my driveways lined with them and my fences lined with them.

I'm going to line my driveway here with them, as soon as I figure out which ones they are.

The big fancy ones are planted close to the house in a manner to showcase the flowers.... as soon as I figure out which ones they are.

I plant a lot of iris. Not only do I like them, but they are the only thing the deer and rabbits won't eat.
I think yellow must be dominant in flowers. I carefully chose a variety of colors of daylilies on the south side of my house. Now the yellow has taken over.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:52 PM

10,359 posts, read 3,573,087 times
Quote:
It's iris planting time, snow is off the ground, rains have slowed down to a small roar, and my back is killing me.

My son was kind enough to dig up all my iris for me and bring them to Idaho. He doesn't garden, but he's seen me garden and he diligently broke all the iris clumps into planting size rhizomes. He brought me 9 seven gallon buckets full of small iris rhizomes. It would have been a lot easier to plant the large clumps and then sort them out after they bloom, but I won't mention that to him. I am just grateful that he dug them all up for me.

It's taken me two days to plant a 10 gallon bucket of little rhizomes, over 150 of them. I told him that the best iris were on the front edge, so he put the first couple of rows into a marked bucket. I am hoping that what I just planted are my plicatas.

Unfortunately, names are lost and the rhizomes aren't separated in any way, so I have to find room to plant them all. I've got some really fancy extra large, extra ruffle iris and I've got some heritage iris of no great value. they are all mixed together, so I have to plant and wait for them to bloom before I know what is what.

No throwing away a couple of buckets because those might possibly be the buckets with my extra fancy varieties.

I'm going to run out of room before I run out of rhizomes.

Who else is an iris fan and what have you got?

Any photos of iris? I wish I'd taken photos of mine when they were in bloom, but I didn't

My iris tend to stop blooming after 8 to 10 years. I have to dig them out, break the bulbs into pieces and replant them in September, to have new blooms, 18 months later. Lavender iris are my favorite domestic ones and we have many wild ones up on our hillsides. The last photo link is to a bloom of blue-eyed grass, which is a relative of the iris.

https://live.staticflickr.com/3627/3...8f86e834_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/1072/4...aa683088_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/7516/2...0bf7d241_b.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden