U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2019, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 471 times

Advertisements

So last year I had a car sitting for quite some time and it ended up being infested with wasps like everywhere, trunk and both door and who knows where else, huge nests and I got rid of them and the car and now this year they are starting to be drawn to my new car which is parked in the same spot, how do I keep them away? And are they drawn to that spot now? Idk what to do I have 2 small children (4 and 9 months) and I don’t want anyone stung please any advise thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 05:02 PM

7,229 posts, read 8,930,408 times
I have seen people recommend filling a big brown bag with scrunched up newspaper then hanging it nearby to mimic a nest of paper wasps. Apparently other wasps will be frightened away

Old 04-20-2019, 05:40 PM

59,143 posts, read 42,939,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I have seen people recommend filling a big brown bag with scrunched up newspaper then hanging it nearby to mimic a nest of paper wasps. Apparently other wasps will be frightened away

I've read that they won't nest where they can see an older nest.

I've also read they are repelled by peppermint oil, I'd had some trying to build a nest near the back door to my garage, I put a little peppermint oil on my finger and smeared it near places they'd tried to nest and it seems to have kept them away.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:10 PM

373 posts, read 123,944 times
Last year, I discovered I had wasps when I was stung. They were obscured under an awning.

Went inside, got the 'flying insect' spray. Sprayed. They went nuts. Destroyed nest with broom handle. Sprayed again. No more wasps.

Every few years, bees make a hive ,in the wall cavity of my house. I call the exterminator; he sprays, removes hive and honey. Then OK for a couple of years.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:16 AM

39,179 posts, read 48,151,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
Last year, I discovered I had wasps when I was stung. They were obscured under an awning.

Went inside, got the 'flying insect' spray. Sprayed. They went nuts. Destroyed nest with broom handle. Sprayed again. No more wasps.

Every few years, bees make a hive ,in the wall cavity of my house. I call the exterminator; he sprays, removes hive and honey. Then OK for a couple of years.
There’s an old church in Bluffton, SC that has bees in the walls. The Church of the Cross gets a bit of income from selling “Holy Honey”. Maybe you should try it with your honey? “Charlie’s House Honey, haha.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:07 AM

75,038 posts, read 87,475,993 times
we had such a problem about 5 years ago that we ended up hiring the bug guy to help us get ride of them, no luck. This year they seem to be starting early. The only way we seem to be able to control them at all with spray.. We have a can or two in the house and one on the patio. My husband is highly allergic to wasp stings. We also stopped hanging humming bird feeders, that helped.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:35 AM

1,927 posts, read 750,792 times
I’ve had good luck with fly and yellow jacket traps. I’d use them for a wasp problem as well.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:52 AM

442 posts, read 218,146 times
I have a few hornet nests in the eves of the garage and house. I clean out a shop vac including the filter, and fill the bottom with 3 inches of soapy water. Then I attach a 10 foot section of 2 inch pvc pipe to the hose and suck them up nest and all. The soapy water is important. they have a bubble of air that surrounds their bodies, maybe due to the tiny hairs? The soap makes them drown. Otherwise you will just have a vacuum cleaner full of angry hornets.

I use the vacuum early in the morning when it is still cold and they are sitting on the nest. Usually I only need to do this once a year or two. This last winter we had a good hard freeze so not so many this year. Springtime is a good time as the nests are not large yet and not so many bees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or