U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2019, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
72,193 posts, read 55,191,555 times
Reputation: 12393

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Shifting from the violets to just a question on red thread? Anyone have this in the past and successfully been able to get rid of it? Seems to be overtaking most of my lawn (we have about an acre of grass). Thanks
Red thread? Never heard of it. Hopefully you get an answer from someone. Be nice to learn whats happening elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2019, 06:54 AM
 
Location: U.S.
1,637 posts, read 5,025,848 times
Reputation: 1206
Based on what I could find, it's some type of fungus and it keeps coming back every year! was hoping someone had some experience getting rid of it on here or I may just go ahead and try a fungicide on a small area and see if it works before I do the entire lawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 07:21 AM
 
343 posts, read 424,474 times
Reputation: 739
Cambium, Ortho's Chickweed, Clover, Oxalis works for me with the wild violets. They invade my lawn from both sides as my neighbors don't care much for lawn maintenance. I sprayed the affected areas three times in the spring to be sure, but after the third week the wild violets were gone.

You may be spinning your wheels by hand pulling as they'll come right back up from a tear off portion of the roots, similar to dandelions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 04:21 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
72,193 posts, read 55,191,555 times
Reputation: 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Based on what I could find, it's some type of fungus and it keeps coming back every year! was hoping someone had some experience getting rid of it on here or I may just go ahead and try a fungicide on a small area and see if it works before I do the entire lawn.

Interesting. Curious how it works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Cambium, Ortho's Chickweed, Clover, Oxalis works for me with the wild violets. They invade my lawn from both sides as my neighbors don't care much for lawn maintenance. I sprayed the affected areas three times in the spring to be sure, but after the third week the wild violets were gone.

You may be spinning your wheels by hand pulling as they'll come right back up from a tear off portion of the roots, similar to dandelions.

I did use the Ortho last year and it did kill it, but its only killing the leaves. That means it just grows back the following year. Have you had success with it where it doesn't come back? I'm scared to soak the soil with the stuff. I don't mind the challenge and its rewarding. 1 hour a month pulling them is not bad and I know it wont come back. (at least the same ones wont)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2019, 06:19 AM
 
343 posts, read 424,474 times
Reputation: 739
It definitely works for me. All the areas that I had sprayed in the spring are showing only grass now, and the one or two violets left may have been too small for me to notice. OTOH, my two neighbors' lawns are covered with violets and other undesirable weeds.

I sprayed 3 times after the last frost. Didn't really have to soak the soil, really... I used a cheap Ortho pump sprayer and a couple drops of Dawn soap.

Anyways, if you prefer hand pulling then it's good exercise


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Interesting. Curious how it works for you.

I did use the Ortho last year and it did kill it, but its only killing the leaves. That means it just grows back the following year. Have you had success with it where it doesn't come back? I'm scared to soak the soil with the stuff. I don't mind the challenge and its rewarding. 1 hour a month pulling them is not bad and I know it wont come back. (at least the same ones wont)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2019, 01:41 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 1,015,844 times
Reputation: 4893
I guess I am the odd person out because I really don't mind violets in the lawn. Or clover, for that matter.

What drives me insane are all the OTHER weeds, such as crabgrass, Johnson grass, chickweed, and what seems like 50% of the illustrations in my copy of Weeds of the Northeast, LOL. It will take at least two years to get my current yard to approach a condition where lawn grass/turf makes up more than 50% of what's actually there. If all I had to deal with was violets and clover, I'd be happy as a clam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2019, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
27,389 posts, read 25,965,377 times
Reputation: 34319
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I guess I am the odd person out because I really don't mind violets in the lawn. Or clover, for that matter.

What drives me insane are all the OTHER weeds, such as crabgrass, Johnson grass, chickweed, and what seems like 50% of the illustrations in my copy of Weeds of the Northeast, LOL. It will take at least two years to get my current yard to approach a condition where lawn grass/turf makes up more than 50% of what's actually there. If all I had to deal with was violets and clover, I'd be happy as a clam.
A little clover in a lawn is good. I got violets for the first time this year, and I don't plan on killing them any time soon.

https://www.wrightmfg.com/articles/f...over-in-lawns/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2019, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
72,193 posts, read 55,191,555 times
Reputation: 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
A little clover in a lawn is good.
Good nitrogen fix and also for the bunnies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2019, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
72,193 posts, read 55,191,555 times
Reputation: 12393
My 10th mow of 2019. 3.35" rain this month. 10.24" since May 1st.


Almost July lets see how green it stays come August. lol






Here are my stats. I kept backyard at 2.6" height. Front needs 3.1" or higher to look healthier.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2019, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
27,389 posts, read 25,965,377 times
Reputation: 34319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Good nitrogen fix and also for the bunnies.
The bees like it, too. I try to always have something for the honey bees to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top