Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 08:45 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times

Advertisements

Remember Oliver Sacks?

The Healing Power of Gardens
Even for people who are deeply disabled neurologically, nature can be more powerful than any medication

By Oliver Sacks

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/opinion/sunday/oliver-sacks-gardens.html

http://trendingpress.com/oliver-sacks-the-healing-power-of-gardens/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 05:55 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Thanks for the links. I'm taking a Healing Gardens workshop next week to help develop my plans.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:10 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
"The effects of nature’s qualities on health are not only spiritual and emotional but physical and neurological. I have no doubt that they reflect deep changes in the brain’s physiology, and perhaps even its structure."

Oliver Sacks: The Healing Power of Gardens | The Trending Press News

Don't doubt this a bit. Stress reduction changes the brain's physiology.

Though, to be fair. While strolling through gardens can be stress reducing, gardening itself can produce stress at times.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:34 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Thanks for the links. I'm taking a Healing Gardens workshop next week to help develop my plans.
Nice. You might want to pass around a copy of the article.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:31 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Nice articles.

I was just thinking along these lines today. I broke my ankle and my finger about 7 weeks ago now, and this last week I have had the flu/cold bug, so I was taking it easy today, but looked out on my balcony and was lamenting that I'm behind with starting my tomato plants because of my injuries and then I saw that an aucuba japonica cutting I'd transplanted out there that I wasn't sure if it was going to make it or not - has started growing new leaves and I just felt such simple joy! I took the cutting while on a walk through some medical buildings on a Sunday last fall, and it grew roots, but there was no growth, but I just had it in water until a couple weeks ago when I finally transplanted it outside into some nice soil in a pretty blue ceramic pot - thinking the blue pot and the yellow spotted leaves would be really pretty combo. I also discovered it had some scale on it and I gave it a pretty vigorous scrubbing and when I transplanted it I told it that I was giving it the best organic soil I could get and scrubbed off the bugs and now it was up to him to sink or swim.

So, I limped out to examine him and give him a little pep talk and to congratulate him lol. Just really lifted my spirits immediately. Even though I just garden in containers now, it's just so fun to watch them grow and to care for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden