U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2019, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Southern MN
7,195 posts, read 4,079,119 times
Reputation: 25388

Advertisements

I have a couple of crocks from the ancestors that I plant. The larger one usually sits on the deck (so I can keep an eye on it) and I fill it with fragrant flowers when I can find them. That way when the summer breeze wafts in from the southwest I can get a whiff of their beauty even though I can't see them.

Very few greenhouse plants seem to have much scent anymore but the two I always put by my kitchen door are heliotrope and those spicy little purple petunias. These look nice with cream colored accent flowers and maybe one yellow eye-catcher.

I have a lot of volunteer morning glories and a number of leftover hanging baskets I like to transplant them to for extra fill in around the yard. There's something about waking up to the morning glories with the dew on them, so bright in the center that it looks like someone put little LED bulbs in there overnight, that makes my morning coffee taste better.



I usually put the other crock on the ground in a nest of pink and purple dead nettle by the deck steps. I like the salmon colors of geraniums, the accompanying accent plants and maybe a few sun-friendly coleus. There are a few rusty and orange ones which go nicely with the salmon color. If the dead nettle hasn't rooted too deeply I try to dig it back a bit each year and plant in a few complimentary annuals among them.

Nearby a milk can painted shiny deep brown is tucked into my rock garden by the pond and in the top of it I plant some other similar colored coleus to pull it together.

In the front on the steps leading up to the house we have two fairly small half barrels planted with bright mixed impatiens.

A year or so ago while helping to demo a house my son found an oval-shaped wash tub that had once been painted a buttery yellow and brought it to me. I just picked out a nice mix for it this weekend. Yellow and fuschia tall snapdragons, light purple, light pink and cream methiola incana, a couple of shocking violet flowering cabbage and a scattering of pale orange viola.

I think I'm going to need some height in this container as a contrast and haven't solved that problem. I saw they were selling arrangements in cute painted watering cans. I'm not going to pay for those. But maybe a household-type container to add height? I'll have to search the garage and attic and see what I can come up with. We've got tons of "old junk" that if presented confidently could be called "antiques." LOL

Might have to go get some gerbera daisys for that.

Help! I can't stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2019, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,091 posts, read 6,921,603 times
Reputation: 30347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I have a couple of crocks from the ancestors that I plant. The larger one usually sits on the deck (so I can keep an eye on it) and I fill it with fragrant flowers when I can find them. That way when the summer breeze wafts in from the southwest I can get a whiff of their beauty even though I can't see them.

Very few greenhouse plants seem to have much scent anymore but the two I always put by my kitchen door are heliotrope and those spicy little purple petunias. These look nice with cream colored accent flowers and maybe one yellow eye-catcher.

I have a lot of volunteer morning glories and a number of leftover hanging baskets I like to transplant them to for extra fill in around the yard. There's something about waking up to the morning glories with the dew on them, so bright in the center that it looks like someone put little LED bulbs in there overnight, that makes my morning coffee taste better.



I usually put the other crock on the ground in a nest of pink and purple dead nettle by the deck steps. I like the salmon colors of geraniums, the accompanying accent plants and maybe a few sun-friendly coleus. There are a few rusty and orange ones which go nicely with the salmon color. If the dead nettle hasn't rooted too deeply I try to dig it back a bit each year and plant in a few complimentary annuals among them.

Nearby a milk can painted shiny deep brown is tucked into my rock garden by the pond and in the top of it I plant some other similar colored coleus to pull it together.

In the front on the steps leading up to the house we have two fairly small half barrels planted with bright mixed impatiens.

A year or so ago while helping to demo a house my son found an oval-shaped wash tub that had once been painted a buttery yellow and brought it to me. I just picked out a nice mix for it this weekend. Yellow and fuschia tall snapdragons, light purple, light pink and cream methiola incana, a couple of shocking violet flowering cabbage and a scattering of pale orange viola.

I think I'm going to need some height in this container as a contrast and haven't solved that problem. I saw they were selling arrangements in cute painted watering cans. I'm not going to pay for those. But maybe a household-type container to add height? I'll have to search the garage and attic and see what I can come up with. We've got tons of "old junk" that if presented confidently could be called "antiques." LOL

Might have to go get some gerbera daisys for that.
Help! I can't stop.


Sounds very interesting, cottage garden-like... Like your plant choices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
8,554 posts, read 11,446,151 times
Reputation: 9109
Do you possibly have an old grater or colander in the collection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Southern MN
7,195 posts, read 4,079,119 times
Reputation: 25388
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Do you possibly have an old grater or colander in the collection.
Good idea! Yes, I do have a colander.

However, a new problem - I went to get the washtub and couldn't find it anywhere. Turns out DH saw a hole rusted in the bottom and threw it out! Of course a hole would have been fine for drainage.

Communication. . .

Now I have to figure out what to do with my flowers. Not much of a problem. There are never too many flowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
72,188 posts, read 55,173,330 times
Reputation: 12393
In my pots now...Peppers


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
8,554 posts, read 11,446,151 times
Reputation: 9109

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKZqGJONH68
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
8,384 posts, read 4,821,131 times
Reputation: 21995
I upgraded my 10 tomato pots this year to 22” size, and planted one tomato plant and several impatiens in each pot. I have white and pink geraniums in four other small pots. But what has yet to be decided is what I will plant in my new window boxes once they arrive. In the past I’ve done petunias, but they peter out and stop flowering by mid-August, so I think it’s time for something different. What, I have no idea. Decisions, decisions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2019, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,013 posts, read 87,443,743 times
Reputation: 45618
Finished planting everything this morning. I put the okra in a container, bush beans, and planted a couple more banana pepper plants. After that I caged my tomato plants. In the process I found 6 baby tomatoes. They are just about the size of my thumb nail but they are still tomatoes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
72,188 posts, read 55,173,330 times
Reputation: 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Finished planting everything this morning. I put the okra in a container, bush beans, and planted a couple more banana pepper plants. After that I caged my tomato plants. In the process I found 6 baby tomatoes. They are just about the size of my thumb nail but they are still tomatoes
Curious how those Okra's do in the pots. Keep us posted please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
8,554 posts, read 11,446,151 times
Reputation: 9109
I have 6 fabric pots for the veggies. Two cherry tomatoes, cuke, red and green pepper. And then a Sugar 45 cantaloupe. I had it last year and they are about the size of a softball and fabulous. I did it on a goof and they were delicious, so I bought it again this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top