U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 10:35 AM

1,926 posts, read 750,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Really, c'mon fellow gardeners, there have to be some things you put in your containers, not everyone puts plants in the ground.
Ok, here is a recently finished project. My spouse was complaining about having to mow around a French wine barrel I’d bought a couple years ago. The barrel was sitting in the yard next to a tree stump. This side of the barn was unsightly with rocks and weeds and he had trouble mowing there also.

I put down weed cloth and mulch and then assorted containers. I already had most of the plants and containers and it’s good how they all came together for a farmhouse look. The rusty table that used to sit on my patio in AZ looks good with a tub of country flowers. The wooden box with the clematis vine was used for growing tomatoes and herbs in Phoenix. I had leftover pickets after putting up porch fencing and I aged this piece with steel wool and vinegar, then stapled chicken wire on the back for the clematis to climb. It made a great free trellis.

The plants are petunias, assorted salvias, clematis, agastache, a Martha Washington geranium, sweet potato vines, they all have that country look. This was one of the cheapest projects ever and I solved two mowing problems at once. Not to mention, I now have something nice to look at when going to the barn.
Attached Thumbnails
What's in your containers?-fea8a5b3-13b9-47df-84cb-40cac859219b.jpeg  

Last edited by Taz22; 06-08-2019 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 11:48 AM

24,300 posts, read 31,380,829 times
tomatoes, crook neck squash, patty pan squash, and a whole bunch of iris.

I brought hundreds of iris rhizomes to the new house and I have all the flower beds chock full. I'm putting iris into 5 gallon pots and into a sheep water trough, trying to keep them alive until I can find more places for them and to get a chance to sort them out.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:53 PM

703 posts, read 353,578 times
Two years ago we built a planter out of scrap wood. In it we have planted 2 heirloom yellow pear tomatoes, one roma tomato and one beefy boy. In two other containers we planted jalapeno pepper and poblano pepper.

As they ripen I make tomato and onion salad with homemade olive oil and vinegar dressing.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:18 PM

1,407 posts, read 655,522 times
Default sasie123

Let me tell you what I have: Oriental Lilies of various colors, Phlox, Dahlias, Echinacea, the one with the pom poms on top, Red and Blue Salvia, Penstemon, Geraniums, Hemerocallis, and every large, gorgeous flower, that I can come across........

Old 06-14-2019, 08:19 PM

8,296 posts, read 4,422,900 times
lavender

Old 06-14-2019, 10:07 PM

5,922 posts, read 3,886,060 times
Eight containers of growing morning glory vines which will climb all over railing.

all colors. favorite is Heavenly Blue.

I've grown them in containers for eight years. love them!

Also two containers of tomato plants.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:40 PM

3,950 posts, read 1,735,653 times
Sage in one, maple seedlings in another, and a rooted fig branch in the third.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:37 PM

36,500 posts, read 45,564,741 times
I grow lots of wonderful plants- all ornamentals- in pots. I also have a very lush garden too but I've been in a wheelchair for 18 months so I'm learning to garden solely in containers. We hire the rest out. From my den window now I see begonias, phlox, roses, daylilies, balloon flowers, lots and lots of dahlias, new evergreen dogwoods, clematis, caladium,daffodils and tulips, iris, ferns, burning bush, Japanese maple, spirea, cat nip, perovskia, stokes aster, coneflower, salvia--actually anything that can be grown in the garden I can grow in containers. We are always looking for containers on sale and have lots which were given to me at the time of my accident. I have to garden any way I can.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:14 AM

9,370 posts, read 7,010,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I have one container, a raised bed of sorts, 3.5 ft by 2 feet. I have Two tomato plants, Two Cucumber plants, an eggplant, and a Cayenne Pepper.

Its something of an experiment for me this year. Filled exclusively with dirt/mulch/compost dug out of my chicken run.
An Update...My Cucumbers have been going insane in the container.

The Egg-Plant, the sun and heat lover, is doing far better than I expected given that the container is in a part-shade area.

The Cayenne Peppers are setting fruit.

The Tomatoes have been the least productive. They've grown quite a bit but no fruit yet on the German Johnson. The Sweet Million has some tomatoes, finally.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:21 AM

1,043 posts, read 507,027 times
Snapdragons and if they don't do something soon I'm going to blow a gasket. I usually plant pansy's but Costco had these huge snapdragon packs for a good price so I bought them. Planted them over a month ago and they lost all of their flowers and now they're just sitting there, poised to bloom again, but so far nada. Argh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden