Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 07:23 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Sure she would, unless the milkweed were sprayed directly with it.

Personally I think glyphosate is fine for killing weeds around normal yards, but I wouldn’t want to eat food that has been sprayed with it, like ‘Roundup ready’ corn, or non-organic oats.
This is unfortunately hilarious. No one sprays corn cobs/kernels with roundup.

If the corn variety is resistant to glyphosate then a couple weeks after the seed is planted, and because weeds start to grow after the soil is plowed up, the roundup is sprayed to kill the weeds. Then the corn plants grow and make it too shady for new weeds. Now corn alone can use soil nutrients and get the benefit of sunshine and water. No waste. A couple months later the cob starts to grow. By then all the herbicide is long gone. No chance it would get into the corn that is eaten. So worry not, your food is safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 08:06 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,773,520 times
There's a time and place for it, such as when I lived in a very wildfire-prone area where weed control was mandated by law.

When I had, literally, a couple of miles of pasture fencing that had to be kept clear of weeds, I'd spray generic glyphosate, properly diluted, along those fence lines with my tank sprayer that I pulled behind my tractor. I always wore gloves, long pants, long sleeves and a face mask and used a wand sprayer so was never within range of any spray or drift. Of course, one only does it on a calm day and I did keep any livestock off the pastures on those days. I never had any problems doing it that way with livestock or myself. I also had to spray the high banks of my arena which was on a cut-and-fill area. There was no other way to keep the weeds off those banks which were too steep to weed whack without having to rappel. Even my sheep wouldn't climb those banks to eat those weeds.

It would have been impossible to prepare and use something like the Dawn/vinegar/whatever homemade concoctions in that application.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
This is unfortunately hilarious. No one sprays corn cobs/kernels with roundup.

If the corn variety is resistant to glyphosate then a couple weeks after the seed is planted, and because weeds start to grow after the soil is plowed up, the roundup is sprayed to kill the weeds. Then the corn plants grow and make it too shady for new weeds. Now corn alone can use soil nutrients and get the benefit of sunshine and water. No waste. A couple months later the cob starts to grow. By then all the herbicide is long gone. No chance it would get into the corn that is eaten. So worry not, your food is safe.
I knew the ears didn’t get sprayed, but the foliage does. I was mostly worried about it translocating throughout the whole plant.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:19 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,655,555 times
There is no need for measles shots and there is no global climate change. Painting houses with lead paint is good and asbestos is good insulation. I’m going to believe everything someone post on the internet and what Trump says.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:33 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,321,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Interesting article about glyphospate considering all the recent scares. The EPA says it's safe to use and does not pose a threat when used as directed. Their findings were made as part of their registration review.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...t-cause-cancer
They just can not afford to say is toxic.
This qoute from our national institute of health
“About 25% of the articles cover the toxicity endpoints in humans and all types of organisms, and the majority is conducted with glyphosate-based formulations, containing other ingredients. Some ingredients may be more toxic than glyphosate for non-plant species (Kim et al. 2013; Mesnage et al. 2013; Nobels et al. 2011), ingredients classified as carcinogenic or mutagenic are not expected to be used and must be indicated in the label, however, the full composition of the formulation is not disclosed by the manufacturers, therefore, it is impossible for researchers to apply mixture toxicity methods and attribute toxicity to a specific ingredient”
In plain English it means that manufacturers do not disclose OTHER ingredients in their formulation with glyphosate, which COULD BE EVEN MORE TOXIC.

Ok, you are not a scientist but this is the fact: they use glyphosate to KILL THE PLANTS used in food chain in order to harvest it at the same time.
If that fact alone does not make you concerned about glyphosate in your food ( without any research, but just using common sense), then I don’t know what facts or research will.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:55 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Sure she would, unless the milkweed were sprayed directly with it.

Personally I think glyphosate is fine for killing weeds around normal yards, but I wouldn’t want to eat food that has been sprayed with it, like ‘Roundup ready’ corn, or non-organic oats.
If the milkweed was not sprayed with glyphosate, there would be no glyphosate on the milkweed. Her caterpillars may have died, but it wasn't from glyphosate. It's more likely the cause was an insecticide, though caterpillars can die from several things.

Animals do not have the metabolic pathways that glyphosate targets. If you want to kill yourself, you would have to drink a lot of the stuff. Insecticides are a different deal, but most people are totally ignorant about agricultural chemicals. About the only thing they sell for bug control to consumers is malathion. Even the rotenone they dump on "organic" food is pretty ugly stuff. I wash all vegetables and peel them or remove the outer leaves if possible. That's not because of glyphosate, which doesn't exist on them, and has a whole lot to do with the stew of insecticides.

The only insecticide I know of that has no biological action in humans is bacillus thuringiensis, which is why GMO Bt corn is so much healthier to eat. The only non-insecticidal way to keep worms out of the corn ear is to drop mineral oil from an eye dropper on every tassel. That might be something you do in your back yard, but on acres of corn the labor bill would make it impossible to afford.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:56 PM

233 posts, read 155,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Interesting article about glyphospate considering all the recent scares. The EPA says it's safe to use and does not pose a threat when used as directed. Their findings were made as part of their registration review.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...t-cause-cancer

I trust the EPA about as far as I can toss this house.....

I think it's about $$$

I don't believe them.....not one tiny bit.....

Old 05-03-2019, 05:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The key to your toxicologist's comment is "fronts on a river". Runoff and overspray drift will be toxic for aquatic organisms during it's half life. Proximity to water bodies is one of the most basic reasons NOT to select Roundup for weed control there.
we mix vinegar, epsom salts or saltpeter (I forget which), dawn and water. It works fairly well, but that may be bad to the river too, I do not know. However were we use it is nearly 250' from the water. We might use 3 gallons in a year, so it is probably not much of an impact. More worrisome is probably the stuff we have to spray on the house to kill carpenter bees. I have no idea what the stuff in that jug really is.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:35 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
If people don't think that what they spray on their plants gets into the water supply, they are just simply ignorant.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:14 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,042 times
I believe natural products are always better than chemicals on all fronts. I stopped using Roundup but when I did I used caution. I avoid using it when the wind was blowing, not to inhale it, gloves and handwashing etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden