U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 05:21 AM

4,200 posts, read 3,271,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
disadvantages of glyphosate: it kills almost any green plant it touches, so, over-spray can be a problem

That's why you use a weed-wiper instead of a sprayer. Selective application is the name of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 07:10 AM

32,600 posts, read 17,992,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
But... "It did identify potential risks to mammals and birds, but said these would be limited to at or near the application area of the pesticide."

I refuse to spray any chemical in my garden for that reason. "Limited to at or near the application of the pesticide" doesn't mean it doesn't hurt mammals and birds.

Not on my watch.
I quit using it for that reason too - but now my paver patio has weeds growing up everywhere and the weeds in the landscaping around my house (mostly shrubs with rocks instead of mulch) are taking over. I have to do something because I would like to put my house on the market soon.

So what do you use instead when you are being overrun by weeds?

Old 05-04-2019, 08:58 PM

51 posts, read 91,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
What has Trump to do with it? Check all EPA leadership as well as FDA’ people who used to work for Monsanto and then “ moved on” to the FDA to determine what we eat and what the regulations would say about the use of different products.
This is going on like .. wait for it....drumroll...insert your favorite President name ... forever!
If you don't think Trump has anything to do with the current make-up of the EPA, I'm not sure there's any point in trying here.

Yes, the EPA has always been less than perfect, but it's gotten downright ugly the last couple years with the continued gutting of common sense environmental standards.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:22 AM

15,871 posts, read 32,932,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I quit using it for that reason too - but now my paver patio has weeds growing up everywhere and the weeds in the landscaping around my house (mostly shrubs with rocks instead of mulch) are taking over. I have to do something because I would like to put my house on the market soon.

Well, if they are broadleaf weeds your only other options are chemicals like 2-4d, triclopyr, or imazapyr... but I’m sure you could find research saying those are bad as well.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:19 AM

17,210 posts, read 8,015,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
We studied and worked with glyphosate a lot where I was once employed. Glyphosate only affects one enzyme and that enzyme is only found in plants, not in any animals. So there was no way it would cause cancer directly. And it is chewed up by soil organisms and by plants too and none of the products/metabolites are cancer causing either. If there is any problem it would be with the "inert" ingredients it is mixed with to keep it in solution and help it stick to leaves. But those ingredients are used elsewhere too and without a problem when used as directed. And if you use a lot you need a pesticide applicators license because your tiny exposure to the inerts could add up.

It is sad to get cancer and everyone wonders "why me" but blaming it on some random thing in your life is not the way to go. Especially when herbicides like glyphosate have allowed us to greatly reduce pollution of the soil by other things like salt, heavy metals, and actual poisons like farmers had to do in the past (unless they wanted to pull weeds by hand and hoe for 25 hrs a day). But someone thought that the producers had deep pockets and could fund some lawyers and anti-science groups so why not sue?
I’m glad to read this. My husband did use round up once on one pesky area, in between the cement cracks with Korean grass, very hard to pull out. He wore gloves though. But this area has tons of bees now. I’ve read Roundup kills bees, that doesn’t seem like the case, not in my area.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:32 PM

9,606 posts, read 4,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I’m glad to read this. My husband did use round up once on one pesky area, in between the cement cracks with Korean grass, very hard to pull out. He wore gloves though. But this area has tons of bees now. I’ve read Roundup kills bees, that doesn’t seem like the case, not in my area.
The toxicity of the actual product is very short-lived. Hours. If he used it "once" it doesn't mean the area or the plants in it stay dangerous for bees.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:37 PM

9,606 posts, read 4,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

If you don't want to spray chemicals you do it the old-fashioned way; you dig them out or hire someone else to do it. You might be able to steam or torch them between the pavers too.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:50 AM

30,396 posts, read 20,655,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The EPA that has existed after January, 2017, is not the same EPA that worked to protect us and the environment, before then.
their opinion has not changed since the Obama administration.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:08 AM

17,199 posts, read 22,936,119 times
Given the fact tests have shown glyphosate is in cereal products it's not accurate at all to say it's broken down before harvest. https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/n...l-what-to-know

I don't want the stuff anywhere near my property or my food. I don't believe for a minute it's safe.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:12 AM

17,199 posts, read 22,936,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
-Pb removed from paint & fuel around 1975- no change in rate of observed Pb poisoning and no increase in IQ scores for any group. Did the tough regs accomplish anything practical?
I don't know where you get your info from, but I have a friend whose young child a few years ago had dangerously elevated lead levels in their blood. It was caused by the lead paint in their home on old woodwork and some furniture. People who used to use lead paint were poisoned by it.

To this day the soil along busy roads is often still heavily contaminated with lead due to leaded gasoline and that lead will be in the fruits of anything growing along those roads. I would highly encourage people growing edible plants or fruits along busy roadways to test their soil for lead. Yes, the regulations restricting lead were immensely valuable and as lead becomes less and less common it will mean a healthier population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or