Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 03:39 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,399,570 times

Advertisements

Another jury award against Roundup.

In Latest Roundup Herbicide Defeat for Bayer, Jury Awards California Couple $2 Billion
Quote:
Attorneys for the plaintiffs walked jurors through scientific studies of rodents, cells and human populations that they say show glyphosate and Roundup are carcinogenic. Bayer lawyers countered that hundreds of studies have shown it to be safe, and pointed to regulators like the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency that have approved the product. The EPA in late April reaffirmed its long-held conclusion that glyphosate, the world’s most widely used herbicide, is safe when used as directed and doesn’t cause cancer.

The health histories of Mr. and Mrs. Pilliod also figured prominently in Bayer’s case. Lawyers for the company pointed to prior cancer diagnoses, family histories of cancer and autoimmune diseases that they said elevated the couple’s risk for non-Hodgkin lymphoma—not their weedkiller use.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-late...d=hp_lead_pos4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 07:49 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,312,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I quit using it for that reason too - but now my paver patio has weeds growing up everywhere and the weeds in the landscaping around my house (mostly shrubs with rocks instead of mulch) are taking over. I have to do something because I would like to put my house on the market soon.

So what do you use instead when you are being overrun by weeds?
Torch weeder works well for patios or polymeric sand

Old 05-14-2019, 07:55 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,312,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellmabt View Post
If you don't think Trump has anything to do with the current make-up of the EPA, I'm not sure there's any point in trying here.

Yes, the EPA has always been less than perfect, but it's gotten downright ugly the last couple years with the continued gutting of common sense environmental standards.
Blame corporations and their lobbyists-lawyers who write our environmental regulations as well as your elected officials who accept and vote for those regulations without reading and a full comprehension.
Capitalism and greed at work.
What last time you voted to slow down economic “growth”?
We are not on Mars yet.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:23 PM

6,332 posts, read 4,836,145 times
I can't speak to the science involved, from my own first hand experience using Roundup, I get a terrible taste in my mouth that lasts a week. It has happened the few times I used it and it's an awful experience. I use gloves and a sprayer and am no closer than 4 feet from the nozzle and it still gets me. I rarely use it and I guess I had forgotten because the last time I used it a few months ago the awful taste came back. I'll never use it again and I can only imagine what happens to people that use it frequently. My body must absorb it somehow and it manifests itself in that taste, so it must be throughout my system and winds up in my taste buds. I do not inhale it and use a mask when I sprayed. I'd rather have weeds than deal with that ever again.

Ironic how what goes around comes around:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/426...ds-destruction

What Bayer is alleged to have done in WW2:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war...tims-wwii.html

Old 09-13-2019, 04:29 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,596,543 times
It’s like most things. The dose makes the poison. It’s less toxic than most older herbicides by far.

I’m not opposed to having a discussion about it, but I think the lawsuits are absolutely ridiculous. Juries are generally not composed of scientists, so that has zero bearing on the safety of glyphosate.

We are such a sue-happy country anyway, it just infuriates me. And the calls for banning it? If you really feel like we should ban a product like this, then unless you also call for banning cigarettes, alcohol, caffeine…you’re a hypocrite.

Theses are all things that we consume in far greater quantities, and are far more harmful to us.

This notion that we can live a “chemical free“ lifestyle is absolutely insane. Everything is a chemical. Everything. We need to get over the fear-mongering and pay attention to the science. The actual science, not people who do their “research” while sitting on the John.

Old 09-14-2019, 02:51 PM

7,181 posts, read 5,033,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Blame corporations and their lobbyists-lawyers who write our environmental regulations as well as your elected officials who accept and vote for those regulations without reading and a full comprehension.
Capitalism and greed at work.
What last time you voted to slow down economic “growth”?
We are not on Mars yet.

And I suppose the ambulance chasing lawyers & their clients are acting altruistically?

Old 09-14-2019, 03:07 PM

30,290 posts, read 21,058,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Another jury award against Roundup.

In Latest Roundup Herbicide Defeat for Bayer, Jury Awards California Couple $2 Billion

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-late...d=hp_lead_pos4
They will never get 2 bill.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:56 AM

52,535 posts, read 34,259,842 times
good.

Quote:
“EPA is issuing guidance to registrants of glyphosate to ensure clarity on labeling of the chemical on their products. EPA will no longer approve product labels claiming glyphosate is known to cause cancer—a false claim that does not meet the labeling requirements of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act),” according to a press release on the EPA’s website.
EPA won't approve labels calling glyphosate 'carcinogenic'

Old 09-18-2019, 08:59 AM

15,735 posts, read 6,447,235 times
My future forecast says: EPA rules that cigarette smoking is harmless; driving without seat belts is safe; bullets don't cause grievous bodily harm; running with scissors is healthy exercise.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:54 AM

9,258 posts, read 14,834,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
My future forecast says: EPA rules that cigarette smoking is harmless; driving without seat belts is safe; bullets don't cause grievous bodily harm; running with scissors is healthy exercise.
Yup. Trump is doing everything he can to gut EPA regulations. It is now a shadow of its former self in terms of its mission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden