Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2019, 08:06 AM

6,361 posts, read 4,187,402 times

Advertisements

I’ve grown tomato plants from seeds using Jiffy pots, transplanted into small cups and want to grow them in 5 gallon buckets.

Are these ready to be transplanted into the buckets now?

And, how often to water them once there’re in the buckets?

Last edited by Rickcin; 02-14-2021 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 09:37 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
You need to make sure it's past the last frost date for your area....type in last frost date and your zip code.

They look fine but I'd wait a little more...you want them strong and able to sustain rain, wind. Make sure you are using great loamy soil and a tad of fertilizer. Stakes to keep them upright or cages.

Congratulations!

Old 05-02-2019, 10:10 AM

Will do! I’ve been exposing them to sunlight over a two week period and since they will be in buckets, I could drag them in if nighttime temperature takes a dive or comes close to freezing one night.

How often to water them once there’re in buckets and out in the sun all day?

Old 05-02-2019, 10:41 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Do you have holes drilled in the bottom of buckets for drainage??? That's a must....also I'd put some rocks in the bottom as well, for good drainage.

You have to go by the plants themselves regarding watering schedule. Factor in rain also. Better to be on the dry side than to overwater, which could suffocate roots. The soil should be dry when watering, not moist, although they need lots of water in growing season.

If you see leaves getting limp and soil is dry then you water really well and leave them. If you live in a terribly hot area you could need to water daily if the soil dries out....you'll learn to let the plants tell you when they need water...no other way.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Do you have holes drilled in the bottom of buckets for drainage??? That's a must....also I'd put some rocks in the bottom as well, for good drainage.

You have to go by the plants themselves regarding watering schedule. Factor in rain also. Better to be on the dry side than to overwater, which could suffocate roots. The soil should be dry when watering, not moist, although they need lots of water in growing season.

If you see leaves getting limp and soil is dry then you water really well and leave them. If you live in a terribly hot area you could need to water daily if the soil dries out....you'll learn to let the plants tell you when they need water...no other way.
Yes, I Did drill holes in the pails and will place a few inches of mulch for drainage and then be mixing two types of potting soil with some compost/manure.

I’m in SW Virginia and will have the buckets in a sunny place and I will let the soil dry before watering while carefully watching the leaves to see if the plant is stressed. I heard they like to grow in 5 gallon pails so we will see! Thanks

Old 05-03-2019, 12:57 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You need to make sure it's past the last frost date for your area.
While it may be safe to plant after the typical last frost date, they won't start really growing until the soil warms up. In my area, last frost day is April 15. I have planted then as well as waiting until ~ May 1. In either case, the plants were about the same size a few weeks later (May 15).

Old 05-03-2019, 01:19 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
While it may be safe to plant after the typical last frost date, they won't start really growing until the soil warms up. In my area, last frost day is April 15. I have planted then as well as waiting until ~ May 1. In either case, the plants were about the same size a few weeks later (May 15).
It just depends on your tolerance for getting the plants out of the house/garage/greenhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden