U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 06:13 AM

7,229 posts, read 8,930,408 times

Advertisements

Why have hundreds of millions of dollars been spent on developing and getting EPA and FDA approval of chemical weed killers? To prevent pollution of the earth!

Would you rather have one ton of permanent polluter like salt or borax on your land or less than a pinch of developed chemical, that will be eaten up by soil bacteria in a few weeks and gone? It is a matter of education. I love plants and ecology and the earth itself and would never pollute just because some stuff like salt is readily available.

Newspaper works but be sure the ink is safe. Plastic is great if you can remove it later. Propane torch is not bad if you move quickly. Vodka? Well the alcohol will evaporate it’s just expensive. Hand pulling weeds does work but be sure to get the roots. Hoeing also works but brings up more weed seed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 08:18 AM

17,208 posts, read 22,974,290 times
I dig up weeds and add new cedar mulch occasionally around my fruit trees. Some will inevitably grow up and will need to be pulled during the summer. In the fields between the trees I whack the weeds with a string trimmer maybe once or twice a month. The vegetable garden is work, pulling weeds by hand or using a hoe, but it's a small area anyways. A lot of my weeds aren't bad plants really but wildflowers I don't mind. The real key is controlling weeds immediately around the plants I've planted. The brambles are a different story though. I don't want thorny berry bushes where I'm always walking or squeezing out my planted berries or flowers. I let them grow at the edges out of the way only. I don't have a lawn but rather a mixture of planted trees, bushes, domesticated flowers (i.e., tulips, etc.), and wildflowers that came in naturally or I seeded in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or