U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 12:30 PM

7,214 posts, read 11,644,028 times

Advertisements

Add your solutions!!

Here are a few:

How to kill weeds:
• Newspaper. A carpet of newspaper, which blocks sunlight and oxygen from reaching the soil, will smother weeds already sprouted and prevent new ones from growing. ...
• Old Shower Curtains and Carpet Samples. ...
• Corn Gluten Meal. ...
• Vinegar. ...
• Vodka. ...
• Soap. ...
• Boiling Water.

Borax, which is sold as a laundry and cleaning product in many grocery stores could help lend a hand in the yard as an herbicide. Add 10 ounces of powdered borax to 2.5 gallons of water, mix thoroughly, and use a sprayer to coat the leaves of unwanted weeds in your yard.

Many weeds are edible such as like the young greens of dandelions, dock, and chicory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 03:28 PM

72,177 posts, read 55,173,330 times
I think you covered most of them. Boiling water works but you need a lot and its a waste of energy.
Shower curtains is bad because no water will get through to soil. Bad if you have plants around.

You can add Clorox Bleach to the list although that's not natural and will kill the soil.

Weeds are such a pain to deal with. I'm adding weed blocker down this year everywhere. Hate to, but I'm tired of the battle.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:40 PM

12,095 posts, read 17,110,939 times
I just salted my driveway sides(small gravel) and garden beds.
Saturated salt solution+some Chlorox+some liquid soap. Backpack sprayer.
Results are seen in matter of hour.

I also just salted my fence perimeter. Water purifier salt granuls, 50Lb bag for $7.49(used to be 5) and hand spread salt layer along fence base with scoop, made out of liter milk bottle. Kills everything and lasts over a year. Just don't do this before rains, needs few days sunny weather.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:29 PM

2,816 posts, read 1,538,887 times
I pull most by hand, use a hoe on others, and boiling water on some.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:32 PM

36,769 posts, read 11,496,058 times
Forget it lol. We pull what we can--then it's chemicals, all the way.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:23 AM

40,438 posts, read 50,036,899 times
Shovel.
Hands.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:09 AM

I did use the carpet of newspapers idea (cover with a light layer of dirt) on my flower border and it helped a lot for a number of years. One of the neighbors was staring at me- what is that crazy lady doing?? Now, it's about 5 years later and I do see a few weeds popping up, so maybe time for a redo- but the idea works well. You can also smother grass that way and then do ground cover or whatever if you don't want so much grass.

Another idea that helped a lot was polyurethane on the interstices of my walkway where I had some grouted shells and flat stones. I didn't poly the big step stones themselves since they would be too slippery. That has saved a ton of weed pulling.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:40 PM

1,703 posts, read 516,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Add your solutions!!

Here are a few:

How to kill weeds:
• Newspaper. A carpet of newspaper, which blocks sunlight and oxygen from reaching the soil, will smother weeds already sprouted and prevent new ones from growing. ...
• Old Shower Curtains and Carpet Samples. ...
• Corn Gluten Meal. ...
• Vinegar. ...
• Vodka. ...
• Soap. ...
• Boiling Water.

Borax, which is sold as a laundry and cleaning product in many grocery stores could help lend a hand in the yard as an herbicide. Add 10 ounces of powdered borax to 2.5 gallons of water, mix thoroughly, and use a sprayer to coat the leaves of unwanted weeds in your yard.

Many weeds are edible such as like the young greens of dandelions, dock, and chicory.
It is irresponsible to recommend some of those “ remedies” on a public forum, thus disseminating a potentially very harmful information.
We all have different climates, different soil conditions, different types of weeds we try to manage.
Get your information not from the internet sites, but from land grant University in your area: Cornell in NY, UMass in Ma, Penn State, etc.
These universities will recommend herbicides, they are part of US Department of Agriculture circuit. Be aware of that, if it is important to you. However, they will offer organic remedies if you are looking for them.

Example of irresponsible advice:
Salt! No!
Vodka! Are you crazy?
Borax! No again!
Did you know that borax is banned in Europe? And some other countries? even in small amounts boron- which borax contains as salts - could be toxic- to plants, aquatic life and animals. It nearly impossible to remedy boron toxicity if you want to grow something you want; very tiny amount need for some plants- like could be a table spoon on an acre of land... use more and you have an unusable land and contaminated water wells.

Use common sense: plant more of the plants you want to grow where the weeds grow- create a competition.

Dandelions in your lawn- put more fresh grass seeds according to your climate time of year.
For OP it would be second half of Sept- through Oct.
Every weed has a specific time period when it is vulnerable- treat it at that time.
Find a specific information for your specific situation.

Last edited by Nik4me; 05-06-2019 at 01:53 PM..

Old 05-06-2019, 01:49 PM

1,703 posts, read 516,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I just salted my driveway sides(small gravel) and garden beds.
Saturated salt solution+some Chlorox+some liquid soap. Backpack sprayer.
Results are seen in matter of hour.

I also just salted my fence perimeter. Water purifier salt granuls, 50Lb bag for $7.49(used to be 5) and hand spread salt layer along fence base with scoop, made out of liter milk bottle. Kills everything and lasts over a year. Just don't do this before rains, needs few days sunny weather.
Let’s hope, you are not on well water- all this stuff may end up there!
You know that salts are water soluble, right? Bleach too
So you put it in one place and then wonder- why that nice tree you love so much started to decline?
Or your tomatoes are not doing well- the water underground may move your salt where your desirable plants grow.

For driveway and pavement you better off using propane torch weeder - still you may have to do it a few time a year- depending on your climate and weeds- some actually enjoy being burned and could regrow, still easier and more satisfying ...

Old 05-09-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
It is irresponsible to recommend some of those “ remedies” on a public forum, thus disseminating a potentially very harmful information.
We all have different climates, different soil conditions, different types of weeds we try to manage.
Get your information not from the internet sites, but from land grant University in your area: Cornell in NY, UMass in Ma, Penn State, etc.
These universities will recommend herbicides, they are part of US Department of Agriculture circuit. Be aware of that, if it is important to you. However, they will offer organic remedies if you are looking for them.

Example of irresponsible advice:
Salt! No!
Vodka! Are you crazy?
Borax! No again!
Did you know that borax is banned in Europe? And some other countries? even in small amounts boron- which borax contains as salts - could be toxic- to plants, aquatic life and animals. It nearly impossible to remedy boron toxicity if you want to grow something you want; very tiny amount need for some plants- like could be a table spoon on an acre of land... use more and you have an unusable land and contaminated water wells.

Use common sense: plant more of the plants you want to grow where the weeds grow- create a competition.

Dandelions in your lawn- put more fresh grass seeds according to your climate time of year.
For OP it would be second half of Sept- through Oct.
Every weed has a specific time period when it is vulnerable- treat it at that time.
Find a specific information for your specific situation.
Where did I recommend salt? Borax is banned as a food additive in Europe, not as weed killer.

Your point of contacting local land grant universities in the area is sound, but the whole point of this thread is to come up more natural home remedy options for killing weeds. A propane torch works, but I certainly would be afraid to use it. Obviously, individuals will pick and choose what might work for them.

If you have suggestions other than herbicides, feel free to post them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or