U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 489 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am new to this forum and I’m grateful that it exists. I’ve had a 6-foot+ bird of paradise plant or banana plant for about 2-3 years. How can I post pictures? It has always been healthy but I think something is wrong with it now. The leaves are very droopy and there is a white fuzz on the top of the soil. I also found a little spider and spiderweb. I was moving the plant to steak it and I saw a couple of tiny red ants coming out of the bottom. Some of the leaves have brown spots and or edges. I have kept it in the same bright light location and watered it the same amount all of this time. I repotted it only once about eight months ago. The only thing I can think of is I might have been giving it too much fertilizer. This plant is very special to me as it was given to me by my mother who passed away. It makes me very sad that somethings wrong with it. Please please please please please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 03:09 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,233,743 times
The white fuzz on the soil is most likely a fungus. Don't overwater it. Brown spots on leaves could be virus, very hard to "cure" in plants. Could also be over-fertilizing, hard to tell without photos. Over fertilization would be leaf edges are burned, not spots in the center of leaves.
The webbing could be spidermites. Sounds like it's getting attacked on all fronts, sadly.

A product called "Mantis" can kill spidermites if used 3 times, for 3 days. Keep it around though, spidermites are definitely the bane of gardeners, and notorious for returning.

You can post photos by using the little yellow square "picture" in your editing tools above each dialog box. Other folks
may have other ideas, but it's Sunday, so don't expect a lot of traffic today.

Good luck, photos would definitely help people who could offer opinions and advice.

And welcome to City Data.

*Edit: If you have a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, you can make a mix of 2 parts water to 1 part hydrogen peroxide and use it as a soil drench. It aerates the roots and will help boost the plant. If it has anything chewing on its' roots, this will kill them too. Only do this once a month.
But if you have a virus, well....I know you said a gift from your mother, but those are really hard to cure, as I said. Post those pics.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 489 times
THANK YOU!!!! I’ll upload the pictures! Please tell me if it’s a banana plant, bird of Paradise or other. THANK YOU!!! 🌱🌈🌸

Old 05-07-2019, 05:56 AM

8,523 posts, read 11,421,521 times
Do you live near a good nursery? Or perhaps a board of cooperative extension. I am assuming it is too large to take in so, take close up pictures and show them. It sounds like it needs a debugger. I have used Seven powder.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:41 AM

10,292 posts, read 19,732,904 times
If it is a banana plant, it may die off every other year or so. Usually the main stem will make fruit and die and then young stems will sprout up around it from the base. If it's a banana plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or