U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 06:54 AM

615 posts, read 334,713 times

Advertisements

I believe the barrier will have to go down (deep) into the ground to stop the roots spreading into your space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 08:03 AM

7,225 posts, read 8,925,462 times
Hate to say it but you are doomed unless you and they destroy every single piece and all the underground stems. It is highly invasive and spreading. Even glyphosate has a hard time getting to the underground spreaders. Contact your county agricultural extension office and see what they advise. People who like spreading bamboo should plant it in containers or within barriers that go at least 3 ft into the ground.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:25 AM

2,082 posts, read 809,399 times
The lovely Asian family we used to live next door to planted beautiful bamboo in thoughtfully done beds with a nice timber border and in ground barrier. Never saw any bamboo outside the beds. Peaceful to look at. The husband took care of it. Then he died. The wife eventually started to work on it. Unfortunately by then something had grown into it, probably poison ivy,and she had gone at the job so enthusiastically that her arms, chest and face were covered in a rash. Reflecting on our many very different and very good neighbors over the decades makes me think I should write a story about them.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:55 AM

1,703 posts, read 517,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
The lovely Asian family we used to live next door to planted beautiful bamboo in thoughtfully done beds with a nice timber border and in ground barrier. Never saw any bamboo outside the beds. Peaceful to look at. The husband took care of it. Then he died. The wife eventually started to work on it. Unfortunately by then something had grown into it, probably poison ivy,and she had gone at the job so enthusiastically that her arms, chest and face were covered in a rash. Reflecting on our many very different and very good neighbors over the decades makes me think I should write a story about them.
There is a “running” bamboo type as in OP photo and a “ clumping” type- which is much better behaved.
The clumping type bamboo usually not as hardy for some areas. Running bamboo looks not very attractive 6-8 month out of the year in OP area.
I would take it with your neighbors first: try to talk nice- they must install a barrier on their side of the fence.
The OP would still have a hard time dealing with it on whatever her side already.
OP, look into zoning codes in your area and in the state: maybe you can Force that neighbor to hire someone for your side?
Try to see if you like eating young shoots- maybe this cultivar could be tasty?
Below are barriers - they discovered that thick plastic works better than concrete- concrete holds water and eventually bamboo is able to break the concrete.
http://www.bamboogarden.com/barrie2.jpg

http://mrbamboo.com.au/wp-content/up...tructions1.png

http://www.beautyandthebamboo.com/im...20(Medium).JPG

Removal tips
https://m.wikihow.com/Kill-Bamboo

Old 05-09-2019, 01:09 PM

10,317 posts, read 19,758,576 times
When building your raised bed gardens, line it with weed mat to keep any bamboo from coming through the bottom.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:49 PM

4,488 posts, read 2,034,596 times
A friend went to China and took a farm tour. He pointed out some bamboo, and asked if they realized it was the spreading type that would send up shoots everywhere. Their reply was that the shoots are quite tasty, and the adult culms have a thousand uses.

But that doesn't make a good backyard choice.

You mentioned you might want to put in veggie beds. Prep the beds by digging them at least 15" - 18" deep, removing all roots and shoots (a coarse sifting tray will help), then installing barrier along the fence. Scrap steel roofing is popular for barriers in Hawaii. The barrier needs to reach deeper than that bamboo variety's roots grow, and can't have any gaps.

Finally you can mix bedding soil with the dirt you dug out, and plant your veggies.

Alternatively, you can dig out all the dirt near the fence and haul it to the dump--NOT COMPOSTABLE GREEN WASTE because that will spread the bamboo to other gardens--then install barriers and fill with bedding mix. Less work but more expensive.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:10 AM

15,882 posts, read 32,987,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Hate to say it but you are doomed unless you and they destroy every single piece and all the underground stems. It is highly invasive and spreading. Even glyphosate has a hard time getting to the underground spreaders. Contact your county agricultural extension office and see what they advise. People who like spreading bamboo should plant it in containers or within barriers that go at least 3 ft into the ground.
I didn’t want to be the one to say it.

But yeah, here in the South that stuff is ferocious. I have a rental property with it in the backyard (every yard on that block has it), and I have to stay on the tenant to keep it mowed so it doesn’t overtake the entire place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or