U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 08:44 AM

39,160 posts, read 48,120,470 times

Advertisements

Fabric has its place, but we’ve taken almost all of the 30 year old fabric out. It stifles the plants you plant in it, and it keeps the soil and mulch on top of it from enriching the soil underneath. We planted 2 dozen small Stella d’oro daylilies by cutting x in the fabric. A few years later we realized the fabric was keeping the plants from spreading, so we ripped all the fabric out....which was a royal pain.

Also, as many have learned the hard way, fabric still gets weeds on top of it, so what is the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 05:06 AM

72,171 posts, read 55,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Fabric has its place, but we’ve taken almost all of the 30 year old fabric out. It stifles the plants you plant in it, and it keeps the soil and mulch on top of it from enriching the soil underneath. We planted 2 dozen small Stella d’oro daylilies by cutting x in the fabric. A few years later we realized the fabric was keeping the plants from spreading, so we ripped all the fabric out....which was a royal pain.
You aren't supposed to just cut an X or a hole where the plant is like instructions or what has been told, you have to leave a large area around the plant open. This way you can fertilize properly as well. Most likely you wont be pulling weeds since the plant will shade the soil beneath it but so what if you have to pull 1 or 2 weeks around the plant. Better than a whole garden bed.

Quote:
Also, as many have learned the hard way, fabric still gets weeds on top of it, so what is the point?

You're supposed to have mulch on top then replace every couple yrs and give a good sweep on the fabric if you think there are weed seeds on it.. Good luck with the weeds without the fabric.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:00 AM

249 posts, read 112,510 times
I only use the fabric in my garden, I love the stuff. I always hated weeding, now I do not have to do it. After I prepare all the raised beds for the year I put down some cheap fabric and lots of mulch. Then I add my veggie plants as I like. It keeps the garden nice and clean looking, it helps retain moisture and keeps the weeds at bay very nice. Lots of earthworms in the garden this year so that is always a good sign.

I only use the fabric for 1 season, that is why I use the cheap stuff. At the years end I pull off all the mulch and fabric and let the ground breathe freely until spring and it is time to prepare the beds again.

It works for me.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:00 PM

72,171 posts, read 55,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
I only use the fabric in my garden, I love the stuff. I always hated weeding, now I do not have to do it..
That's my goal. No more weeding! Just have to replace the mulch every couple years or when it breaks down enough.

I did another area. I'm winning the war now. I left a little opening so I can fertilize the Hollies and to make sure they get proper watering. Even though water goes through this fabric, it doesn't hurt to leave an opening.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:35 PM

2,812 posts, read 1,538,887 times
Quote:

If you mulch properly on top of the fabric, you shouldn't get many weeds in the mulch, and the roots will not go down deep because of the fabric, so they are easy to pull up.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:35 AM

1,949 posts, read 638,093 times
I will use fabric as temporary thing. I place wet newspapers under landscaping fabric. Between the newspaper and fabric, within a year to 18 months, the soil is weed free. Either, I reseed the area, start hostas or another ground cover plant or replace the newspaper and spread mulch.

There are a million links and youtube video on using newspaper in gardens.

https://www.bbg.org/news/using_newspaper_as_mulch

https://www.sunset.com/garden/earth-...hout-chemicals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden