U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 12:32 AM

3,950 posts, read 1,735,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
There is a peach called Flat Wonderful that has flat fruit like that and red leaves, but they turn green later on in the year.

https://growingfruit.org/t/very-wonderful-peach/5736
I wish that was it, but it says that one's leaves turn green later in the season. The leaves look like the ones on my tree, but it stays burgundy until they all fall off in autumn.

Still raining, hoping to see a pit tomorrow. Hoping even harder it's a maturing Saturn peach of any kind that's going to make edible fruit eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 04:31 PM

It does look like the tree in the link, though it's grown up like a regular tree. The fruits are now less than 2 inches, but definitely looking like peaches. I would be thrilled to get any amount to the edible stage.

Not wanting to pick any, I tried checking out a pit on some of the fallen ones, but they're very little and have no discernible pit at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Please identify this fruit tree-img_1708.jpg  

Old 05-21-2019, 10:15 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,050,486 times
NYC,
that is a peach tree.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:45 AM

8,728 posts, read 7,460,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
It does look like the tree in the link, though it's grown up like a regular tree. The fruits are now less than 2 inches, but definitely looking like peaches. I would be thrilled to get any amount to the edible stage.

Not wanting to pick any, I tried checking out a pit on some of the fallen ones, but they're very little and have no discernible pit at all.

I don't think you'll need to show a pit now, after that last picture there's no doubt about it now that it's a peach of some kind. I think those peaches are just the cutest looking fuzzy little things. I hope when the fruits have matured and ripened you'll post another picture of the full-sized fruits on the tree with a report on their palatability and flavour.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:18 AM

8,296 posts, read 4,422,900 times
Orbit Fire peaches I think.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:57 PM

17,528 posts, read 8,134,949 times
It’s a type of donut peach.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:00 PM

1,704 posts, read 518,189 times
Peach!

Old 05-22-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't think you'll need to show a pit now, after that last picture there's no doubt about it now that it's a peach of some kind. I think those peaches are just the cutest looking fuzzy little things. I hope when the fruits have matured and ripened you'll post another picture of the full-sized fruits on the tree with a report on their palatability and flavour.

I hope I get to post that picture. The color is going very peachy already but the fruits are hard and tiny. It's also obvious they're not all going to make it. When should they be ripe?

Old 05-22-2019, 10:39 PM

17,528 posts, read 8,134,949 times
You need to thin them. But I suspect maybe August. I’m in California and just picked my nectarines, they are too early. I had to throw away.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:51 AM

8,728 posts, read 7,460,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I hope I get to post that picture. The color is going very peachy already but the fruits are hard and tiny. It's also obvious they're not all going to make it. When should they be ripe?

What state and growing zone are you in?

I don't grow peaches so not too familiar with their growing habits, but according to some reading about the various cultivars of donut shaped peaches they need different kind of treatment and pruning from larger, round peach cultivars. And they all flower earlier and harvest comes a few weeks ahead of larger peaches, in mid-to-late July. When donut shaped peaches are, on average, 2 - 2.5 inches in diameter, they (apparently) should be ripe, at which time they will be really fragrant and soft to the touch, and succulent. If yours is a hybrid cross and you don't have a 100% positive ID on the cultivar, it possible yours might get slightly bigger fruits than the average though.

I agree that you may have to thin out some of the stunted or badly mis-shapen or scabbed fruits since not all of them are developing at the same rate and the weaker fruits will be a drain on the tree's efforts for the healthier fruits. It would be good to see a picture of the whole tree in its entirety to get an idea of it's full shape and how laden it is and the condition/size of all the fruits.

You may be able to protect the fruits from birds this year if you drape it early with a light-weight fine mesh net tent to keep the birds, bugs and other critters off the tree.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tree+...w=1120&bih=583

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-23-2019 at 02:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or