Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 02:34 PM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Well I work 10-12 hour days, sometimes longer. I am a single parent of two kids that I have full custody of, which requires me taking them to sports, school activities and dr appointments. While I don’t mind physical labor, my body feels different. I broke my chest in an auto accident as a teenager. I still have back and chest issues. I hurtmy ankle this winter because it just gave out and caused me to fall. I still can’t put weight on it. I am physically older body wise than my age says...
How old are your children? Sounds like they're old enough to press into labor. And they'll work for the promise of a Pizza and Orange Soda. It is a side benefit of children that seems to be less and less utilized these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 04:14 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
How old are your children? Sounds like they're old enough to press into labor. And they'll work for the promise of a Pizza and Orange Soda. It is a side benefit of children that seems to be less and less utilized these days.
One is 8 and he is a good helper, but the help is somewhat limited. My teenager has a condition similar to leukemia and has restriction what she can do. She is not able to do anything physical.

And your funny... pizza and soda. My 8 year old charges me $10 an hour.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:02 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I had a delivery guy that had a small tracked spreader tucked into his truck bed. He'll deliver whatever, roll it down and spread roughly for you, for no additional charge. This could have been the better option for you.
Bags are VERY expensive and you need A LOT of them for any meaningful coverage.
Did you consider wood chips? They definitely last long.

At 6 '' cover, I have same question. Something's not right. It should last several years.

Does your bed show soil or it's simply grey? With the initial beauty gone?

Old 05-13-2019, 05:12 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Hey, not to forget. Rocks are kewl, but weeds will grow between them and removing weeds from rocks is likely much arduous task than from mulch or bark. So if you want to be safe in that respect, before you spread your top cover, spread salt granules liberally over the bed, where you do not want anything to grow. Salt granules are sold in 40lb bags at Home Depot and 50 lb bags at farm supply stores. Here they cost respectively $7.5 and $7.5. get small granules, not the large ones. Salt prevents any growth, they actually salt ground before asphalting driveways here. Pretty thick layer of salt, but works great. Then just spread whatever your choice is over it.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:04 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
I agree that it would be an awful job if you had to do both the filling of the wheelbarrow AND the spreading of the mulch. But the 8 year old could shovel into the wheelbarrow and you might get your fiance to do the rest if he knew he was going to get some help.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:14 PM

153 posts, read 137,966 times
Quote:
Fiancé and I are in debate about mulch. He is fed up with moving a dump truck load of mulch every spring. Last year the neighbor was kind enough to help me because fiancé worked the day it was dumped in the road in front of the house. I only had a few hours to get it out of the road.

He wants to put rocks or rubber down. I like the traditional look of black bark mulch. But it is a lot of work.

What do you all use? Is there a compromise here?

In recent years I've stopped using the traditional wood mulch. Here's why: There's too much "repurposing" of materials. How do you know where the mulch has originated? It could have come from some swamp pit or other undesirable place, and then run through some process meant to restore it to a condition that makes it reasonably appealing for sale on the market.

I had a very unpleasant experience after buying mulch several years ago that was supposedly a high-quality product. As I was weeding the mulched area one day a swarm of angry sand flies or some type of insect that to this day I cannot definitively identify, stormed out from deep inside the mulch and stung me on my lower leg. Even now, many years later, I have scars and dry patches on the areas of the leg that were stung.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:33 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Fiancé and I are in debate about mulch. He is fed up with moving a dump truck load of mulch every spring. Last year the neighbor was kind enough to help me because fiancé worked the day it was dumped in the road in front of the house. I only had a few hours to get it out of the road.

He wants to put rocks or rubber down. I like the traditional look of black bark mulch. But it is a lot of work.

What do you all use? Is there a compromise here?
I don't like either of those. Black mulch is not at all traditional, to me. I always use either cypress or cedar mulch.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:35 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingAfterSunday View Post
In recent years I've stopped using the traditional wood mulch. Here's why: There's too much "repurposing" of materials. How do you know where the mulch has originated? It could have come from some swamp pit or other undesirable place, and then run through some process meant to restore it to a condition that makes it reasonably appealing for sale on the market.

I had a very unpleasant experience after buying mulch several years ago that was supposedly a high-quality product. As I was weeding the mulched area one day a swarm of angry sand flies or some type of insect that to this day I cannot definitively identify, stormed out from deep inside the mulch and stung me on my lower leg. Even now, many years later, I have scars and dry patches on the areas of the leg that were stung.
It's rather unlikely that those insects came in the mulch. They would have had to survive the chipping process. Cedar mulch actually repels insects.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:33 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
One is 8 and he is a good helper, but the help is somewhat limited. My teenager has a condition similar to leukemia and has restriction what she can do. She is not able to do anything physical.

And your funny... pizza and soda. My 8 year old charges me $10 an hour.
We pay a teen neighbor $10/hour to dig garden beds and spread mulch.

Gravel works in Las Vegas and other areas where there is so little rain that you need underground irrigation to keep a cactus growing. Anywhere it rains, it means weeds in the gravel.

Rubber mulch leaches toxic substances as it degrades, contaminating soil, plants and waterways. Might use it as cushioning under a swing set, but that's it.

An alternative is ground cover like Creeping Jenny, Ajuga, ...

Old 05-14-2019, 07:22 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
When we had a big property and a Kubota, we got mulch by the truck load. Now, we have a regular yard and do sections with bagged mulch.

One of the purposes of mulch is to enrich the soil. No way would I ever use rubber. If you get a good layer of mulch down, you shouldn’t need to do anything but touch it up every spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden