Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2019, 08:03 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times

Advertisements

A few years' ago, I purchased this perennial, Burgundy plant. I do not remember the name, and tried to locate it through Google. No luck. The plant grows to about 20 inches, with oval leaves, and the flowers are very small and light pink. Unfortunately, I am unable to produce a picture.

At the beginning, it was pretty, then when I saw the small flowers, I lost my interest. I let it stay in the garden, for the foliage. For the past four years or more, it had not given me any problems, until now.......

It is running rampant through my garden, and I cannot weed due to back problems. I wonder why now? Why has this plant become invasive now? I live in New York City, zone 7. She receives both sun and shade, and I have given her the same treatment that I give all the other plants.

I looked at several Burgundy plants on the internet, but no luck. It is not a shrub. Any suggestions? Thanking you in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 10:53 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
So when you say the plant is burgundy, you mean the leaves? And those leaves are oval...no points. Are the leaves big or small?

We and lots of friends from divergent areas have had some unusual growth this year. Thinking at least some of it due to wet winters and springs.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:04 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
The only small plant I can think of that fits that description and can become invasive is Cotinus coggygria 'Lilla', it's a dwarf smoke bush that can get to about 20 - 30 inches tall at maturity at 10 years of age. Lilla is the dwarf version of 'Royal Purple' smoke tree. Lilla is a deciduous, small bushy plant with oval, burgundy-purple leaves turning red in autumn. Its blooms start off in spring with tiny, insignificant pink coloured five-petaled flowers on feathery branching stalks which develop over summer and autumn into plume-like inflorescences that resemble drifting clouds or plumes of pinkish-gray smoke by mid-autumn. Seeds are small, hard, deep black like beads of jet, very shiny, so highly reflective of light that they look like they are twinkling or glowing like little black pearls. All of the several types of smoke bushes/smoke trees can become invasive and unruly if they are not kept in check and pruned back vigorously every year.

Is this what you have? Pix - https://www.google.ca/search?biw=112...24.eWSavlTSvSw

Even if that is not what your plant is, then regardless of the unknown identity of the plant, if it has suddenly spread and become invasive by whatever means (roots or seeds) throughout your entire garden then you will have to do something to get rid of ALL of them, and I'd suggest that includes getting rid of the original parent plant too. If you can't pull them out yourself because of your bad back and you don't want to damage all your other 'keeper' garden plants with herbicides, then you may have to resort to paying somebody else to come pull up all the invasives for you. Cutting them off at ground level won't do the trick if they are smoke bushes, they need to be uprooted. And you need to get it done as soon as possible before they all have a chance to put roots down deep and spring up elsewhere in the garden. Repeat that every year if more come back again until there are no more coming up.

Good luck with that.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
So when you say the plant is burgundy, you mean the leaves? And those leaves are oval...no points. Are the leaves big or small?

We and lots of friends from divergent areas have had some unusual growth this year. Thinking at least some of it due to wet winters and springs.
YES, the leaves are oval, elongated to a point. The leaves are medium to large.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:14 PM

Default For Zoisite....!!!!

Zoisite: The closest I came to is a bush called, "Winecraft Black" of the group that you sent to me. This plant does not have the outline of a bush. When my grandson comes over, I may get him to take a picture of it, and I shall place it in this same post.

As always, greatly appreciated, Zoisite.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:41 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
sasie,
Look up Ajuga "Burgundy Glow" online.
See if that is it.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:15 PM

Hadn't considered an ajuga. It is a fast grower and I'm loving it here after wet winter and spring giving it lots of water to grow faster than ever.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:18 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
sasie,
Look up Ajuga "Burgundy Glow" online.
See if that is it.
I hate ajuga. Self seeds into grass lawn way too easily.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:25 PM

We're enjoying the ajuga in our rock garden. We needed something to really fill in and it wasn't doing that all that well for a few years but is now growing and spreading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden