U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you grow potatoes?
YES! I grow and eat potatoes. 8 34.78%
No, forget all that work! They're cheap to buy. 12 52.17%
Love me some waffle fries! 5 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 04:18 PM

72,122 posts, read 55,045,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so how do they taste compared to store bought?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I'll let you know in about 90 days

I've heard that they're much better than store bought.
Anything home grown is better than store bought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 06:17 PM

4,997 posts, read 2,274,162 times
old saying: Do Not Grow Potatoes.

well, what was meant was: do not spend a lot of money/time doing so.
potatoes are so easy to grow anywhere in just about any conditions.
we have some where we did not want any. they were still good to eat.
on a cost-per-potato, it is a "wash". store-bought on sale are Really Cheap.
planted/neglected/ignored potatoes taste the same to us as the 5lb. bag kind.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:10 PM

1,695 posts, read 509,535 times
I think you planted your potatoes too deep?
You suppose to plant them 3-4” deep at first. Let the green leaves grow. Then you add additional 6 “ or so of soil right on top of the new greens - “ hilling” potatoes.
https://diy.sndimg.com/content/dam/i...766225640.jpeg
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...3/potato-2.jpg

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetabl...bers-2219.html

Old 05-22-2019, 01:04 AM

24,251 posts, read 31,299,484 times
I don't grow potatoes. I concentrate on things that are really expensive, are not available in the supermarket, or else that are noticeably better when home grown. So I grow blueberries, asparagus, patty pan squash, and tomatoes.

I'm in Idaho. I can buy really good potatoes for really cheap. it's not worth giving them garden space.

for those who do grow potatoes, i suggest that you buy certified virus free seed potatoes instead of using the ones you buy at the market. it would be a shame to inadvertently contaminate your ground with potato diseases.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:06 AM

24,251 posts, read 31,299,484 times
One advantage of growing your own potatoes is that you can dig up and eat "new potatoes" ( the little bitty waxy guys that are so tasty)

Old 05-22-2019, 11:08 AM

7,180 posts, read 4,070,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
One advantage of growing your own potatoes is that you can dig up and eat "new potatoes" ( the little bitty waxy guys that are so tasty)
Yes! They're awesome.

I no longer grow any vegetables because friends and neighbors gift us with their bounty every year. I discover them like foundlings abandoned on the back steps. LOL

But those new potatoes - I'm waiting for the Farmer's Market to have them.

I scrub them with a gentle brush, boil 'em with a diced sweet onion, drain and serve them in homemade butter/cream sauce. O heaven.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:35 PM

5,610 posts, read 3,057,028 times
Quote:
I've heard of people growing potatoes in a trash barrel, too. In fact I think I'll take an extra Home Depot bucket and try that on the patio, just see what happens!
Somebody else on YouTube was growing them in 5 gallon plastic buckets in his back yard. He made it look easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Yes! They're awesome.

I no longer grow any vegetables because friends and neighbors gift us with their bounty every year. I discover them like foundlings abandoned on the back steps. LOL

But those new potatoes - I'm waiting for the Farmer's Market to have them.

I scrub them with a gentle brush, boil 'em with a diced sweet onion, drain and serve them in homemade butter/cream sauce. O heaven.
That sounds so good. I usually make salt potatoes. Boil new potatoes in 5 cups of water with 1 cup of kosher salt until they're tender. Melt butter and pour over potatoes or put the butter into bowls and dip the potatoes before eating (how I do it). Delicious.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:40 PM

40,412 posts, read 49,988,829 times
One problem with growing potatoes is that when they're ready to dig up the infamous potato bug has beaten you and all your fruits of labor are for naught.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:46 PM

4,109 posts, read 3,747,477 times
A couple of years back, I came across a recipe for rösti, a kind of hash brown. Quite yummy. Can't wait for these potatoes to be ready.

As for bugs... I've heard about these, but do they exist in places where there are no potato plants growing? Just hanging around the yard, waiting for an unsuspecting gardener to plant some?

Old 05-23-2019, 01:28 PM

265 posts, read 98,155 times
Quote:
As for bugs... I've heard about these, but do they exist in places where there are no potato plants growing? Just hanging around the yard, waiting for an unsuspecting gardener to plant some?

They do come from nowhere, apparently....because we had some the first year of growing in a new location, well away from anyone else. Some years they are worse than others, but last several years, they haven't been enough of them to bother spraying. If I do spray, I use this Bonide product, which is organic approved, and does knock then right out. But we grow 4-600' row feet per year. For a small patch, it's just about as easy to pick the big, fat, slow moving things (see pic on bottle) off and squish them. Another pest that will eat the leaves to some point, but usually not enough to kill the plant are flea beetles....they drill small holes in the leaves.

One of the great advantages of growing your own is the amount of pesticides you avoid. I read once commercial potatoes contain the residue of dozens of pesticides/herbicides/fungicides. We grow Yukon Gold (best long term keeper) and Kennebec varieties.

This is our fall crop in the root cellar. We store them on homemade screens that allow air to circulate around the layers, and if one does rot, it doesn't spread as bad. Screens are 2'x3' with 1/2" hardware cloth centers. The bags are small ones we'll keep for next year's seed.

Last edited by Tn_eddy; 05-23-2019 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden