Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 12:18 PM

49 posts, read 105,558 times

Advertisements

There are several gas stations near me that sell ethanol-free premium gas. That's what I use in my 4-cycle lawn mowers and my 2-cycle weed trimmer. It's easy to mix the oil with the gas for the 2-cycle engine.

If you have leftover fuel at the end of the season you can buy fuel stabilizer to mix with the fuel and keep it from going bad during the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 12:36 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidaho View Post
There are several gas stations near me that sell ethanol-free premium gas. That's what I use in my 4-cycle lawn mowers and my 2-cycle weed trimmer. It's easy to mix the oil with the gas for the 2-cycle engine.

If you have leftover fuel at the end of the season you can buy fuel stabilizer to mix with the fuel and keep it from going bad during the winter.
Thanks.

It must be ethanol free and the proper octane, yes? That's the problem I'm running into.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:41 PM

49 posts, read 105,558 times
Ethanol-free premium grade should work fine. The ethanol-free premium gas in my area is 91 octane. Regular unleaded gas here is 85 octane. The altitude here is almost 5,000 feet. The way I understand it is octane ratings need to be higher at sea level than at higher altitudes.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:03 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
When putting the trimmer away for the winter, how do you get rid of the fuel still inside? One idea is to let it run for a while but wouldn't that take a while?

I also see the problem that we are not doing proper maintenance.
What i do is, pour the gas out of the machine back into the gas can, use a funnel. Once you've done that, run the machine till all the gas ran out. Add fuel Stabilizer to the gas can and store for the winter.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:15 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
What i do is, pour the gas out of the machine back into the gas can, use a funnel. Once you've done that, run the machine till all the gas ran out. Add fuel Stabilizer to the gas can and store for the winter.
I also run my machine on an empty tank until it quits at the end of the season, but I think fuel stablizer is a waste of money since it's shelf life once opened is only a couple years. It's perfectly fine to pour whatever mixed oil/gas you have remaining once the season is over into your car's fuel tank if you don't want to waste it by dumping it on the ground.
I also think the premix cans of fuel are a total waste of money. You get 1/4 gallon for $6 which is absolutely ridiculous, and on top of that I've found that my 2 cycle leaf blower runs better on the pump gas. The only caveat is I wouldn't use gas with over 10% ethanol, but I've never had a problem using 85 octane regular fuel from sea level to 6,000 feet elevation.

Last edited by duke944; 05-22-2019 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 01:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I also run my machine on an empty tank until it quits at the end of the season, but I think fuel stablizer is a waste of money since it's shelf life once opened is only a couple years. It's perfectly fine to pour whatever mixed oil/gas you have remaining once the season is over into your car's fuel tank if you don't want to waste it by dumping it on the ground.
I also think the premix cans of fuel are a total waste of money. You get 1/4 gallon for $6 which is absolutely ridiculous, and on top of that I've found that my 2 cycle leaf blower runs better on the pump gas. The only caveat is I wouldn't use gas with over 10% ethanol, but I've never had a problem using 85 octane regular fuel from sea level to 6,000 feet elevation.
You have E10 available? Here all pump gas is E15. I still prefer no ethanol, because of what it does to the rubber hoses and priming bulb. The $6 quart is worth it to me because I don't use that much for the chainsaw and mini-tiller anyway, it may last a whole season, and besides no ethanol it's 93 octane and has stabilizer in it already.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:56 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
When putting the trimmer away for the winter, how do you get rid of the fuel still inside? One idea is to let it run for a while but wouldn't that take a while?

I also see the problem that we are not doing proper maintenance.
Dump the gas out, start it up and let it run dry. It won't run for over a minute on the gas left in the carburetor.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:00 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
I want to recommend Red Line 2-cycle oil for air cooled engines. It's a full synthetic racing oil for 2-cycle motorcycles. I have a cheap 2-cycle leaf blower that gets a lot of use, blowing leaves, cleaning gutters, burning piles of brush, etc. One of the head bolts holds the handle, and the handle broke. After 2 years I pulled the head off to look at the cylinder, and it was white glove clean with no sign of wear or scuffing. I was astonished. NAPA sells it.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:06 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You have E10 available? Here all pump gas is E15. I still prefer no ethanol, because of what it does to the rubber hoses and priming bulb. The $6 quart is worth it to me because I don't use that much for the chainsaw and mini-tiller anyway, it may last a whole season, and besides no ethanol it's 93 octane and has stabilizer in it already.
Yeah, the gas in my area (and areas I've lived previously) has no more than 10% ethanol. I don't let the gas sit in the machine year round, I think that's why I've never had a problem with rubber or carbs. I add the fuel first time I need the machine and drain it last use of the season for that tool and run till it stops. Since I started doing that many years ago I've never had a problem with any of the 2 cycle machines I've owned.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:57 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
Our current trimmer says use 89. I know a station that is ethanol free *BUT* is only 87 octane. So that is not going to work, is it?
I would say it is not going to make a difference (87 vs 89). All our non-oxy here in MN is 91.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden